mind melt. my 'one' isn't anyone else's 'one' in this tune.

scottie gee

well, it sorta feels like i'm having a "and when the band your in starts playing different tunes..." kind of moments.

i used to play in this band, and haven't for two years but i'm filling in this saturday with them. so yesterday at rehearsal we're running this tune and we stop in the middle and have to take it from the second verse. i never have to count the tune in because it starts with just drums, but now in rehearsal i have to count off this entrance. that's when i realized that i have always been playing this tune an eighth note away from where the rest of the band is playing it. Ouch! my brain goes into meltdown.

i have it up on mymyspace now... ritalin it's called. first tune. please, tell me... where's one for you?

there's really only one telling moment, i think (i think i lost sleep thinking about this last night....) when it goes to the first "chorus" i guess you'd call it, the half time thing... i never really noticed, cause the change is actually kinda sloppy, but that's because i'm in late, cause i'm in spazville an eighthish note later... luckily it's a faster tempo and it's kinda loose.... this is one of the only records i've ever done that the producer insisted on NO click!

anyway, thoughts are awaited.

scottie gee

Huh... just as i suspected.... that's the & of 4 in my melted mind... now i've sort of relearned the tune, and all my parts sound effed up. damn!

Homki890

Ok, to me, the + of 4 is the 16th note grouping. The beat is actually not bad at all as it stands, like some heavily syncopated beat. Other than that, the whole thing is in 8. 8/8 to be exact. At least in the beginning.

Not me kind of music though.

Homki890

SGarrett

scottie gee":24qcgnw6 said:
Huh... just as i suspected.... that's the & of 4 in my melted mind... now i've sort of relearned the tune, and all my parts sound effed up. damn!
That's what I was thinking. There's an 8th note pick up note at the very beginning of the pattern but you're starting that as your 1, which puts you an 8th note behind everyone.

dave lynch

IMO it's to bad that you guys can't play it the way you did on the recording..That piece is meant to be obscure..I mean look at the title..I think it smokes just like that..Great job my friend...I LUV IT the way it is personaly..!!

break the prism

SGarrett":2obunu9i said:
scottie gee":2obunu9i said:
That's what I was thinking. There's an 8th note pick up note at the very beginning of the pattern but you're starting that as your 1, which puts you an 8th note behind everyone.
exactly.