MIKING DRUMS

CASCINAIDRUMS

What's the best way of miking your kick drum ?
If you have a hole in the front of the head then put the mike as close to where the beater hits the skin.
I use a plastic chip where the beater hits the skin so the beater hits the plastic chip.The beater I use is a skate board wheel, This is the best way to have a nice attack to keep the beats seperated and defined, good dynamics also.
A lot of people say it doesn't matter if you have a hole in the front of the skin or not, I don't agree.
What's this extra 14" drum in front of the bass drum what is that for ?

m

depends on the tone you're going for~
different people have different approaches.
I've tried what you describe, but that sound isn't what I'm looking for.

I like to hear a little more of the air/room and the actual drum resonating, so we back the mic off the reso head about 13".

Of course, that's for recording- I was assuming you were addressing the studio setup. Now I see you didn't actually specify in the post-
maybe you mean miking for live PA? In that case you pretty much have to do it like you said.
I think we've had a thread on this subject a while back, I'll see if I can find it...

CASCINAIDRUMS

m":3j25f9tz said:

I like to hear a little more of the air/room and the actual drum resonating, so we back the mic off the reso head about 13".

Of course, that's for recording- I was assuming you were addressing the studio setup. Now I see you didn't actually specify in the post-
maybe you mean miking for live PA? In that case you pretty much have to do it like you said.
I think we've had a thread on this subject a while back, I'll see if I can find it...
yes I'm sorry I was talking live PA and it works great

CASCINAIDRUMS

CASCINAIDRUMS":3fe2kbh0 said:
m":3fe2kbh0 said:

yes I'm sorry I was talking live PA and it works great
like natural reverb you use one mike close and one mike away