Micing the bass drum

Nessmaster

I want to mic my bass drum head. I've seen people with a hole in the front head of their bass drum, and I was wondering how to cut it out and what size it should be? Will it effect the sound in anyway?

Maynardjames

iv seen people heat up empty cans (food cans) on the stove and then melt it in to the drumhead. might not be the best way but iv seen it work.

Potatoe Snack

i'd suggest just getting a new one that already has a hole in it. to try and cut one yourself (from my experience) it always ends up pretty tragic.

mute

yeah, be careful to make an even hole. in the studio once, the guy recording us cut a rough hole with scissors and that thing kept growing and basically killed the head. i've heard the melting can trick works well and also to just use it as a mold with a box-cutter blade.

Potatoe Snack

mute":m9un3jv9 said:
yeah, be careful to make an even hole. in the studio once, the guy recording us cut a rough hole with scissors and that thing kept growing and basically killed the head. i've heard the melting can trick works well and also to just use it as a mold with a box-cutter blade.
i've never heard of that before...i guess in theory it could work though? I dunno.

SGarrett

Remo DynamO's and Aquarian PortHoles are templates for cutting holes. You stick them on the head, score around the inside with a razor, and then cut the hole out. The template stays on the head for protection. It's the same thing you see on heads that come with pre-cut port holes.

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

Potatoe Snack":2ai0ey5g said:
mute":2ai0ey5g said:
i've never heard of that before...i guess in theory it could work though? I dunno.
i melt my holes everytime. works great.

Potatoe Snack

SHOGUNWARRIOR32":dg7f1khm said:
Potatoe Snack":dg7f1khm said:
mute":dg7f1khm said:
well then there ya have it. it works, lol.

McForman

SHOGUNWARRIOR32":3tjfxdtx said:
Potatoe Snack":3tjfxdtx said:
mute":3tjfxdtx said:
do you just heat up a soup can in the oven or what?

Nessmaster

I think I'm just going to outline the can's circumference with a pencil, tape around the outline with some electric tape, and melt it out. Thanks for the info guys.

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

McForman":1r62f5jj said:
SHOGUNWARRIOR32":1r62f5jj said:
Potatoe Snack":1r62f5jj said:
mute":1r62f5jj said:
do you just heat up a soup can in the oven or what?
I have a stainless steel bowl set that has a bunch of different sizes ..i pick the size i need and put it right on the burner till it's hot..it has two little handles on each side..melts right through like butter. remember..USE OVEN MITS!!!
I think melting it is better cuz if you don't do it just right with a blade ..or slip with it.. the tiniest nick can grow into a split and waste your head.. it happened to me.. melting it in gives you a perfect cutout.

SGarrett

SHOGUNWARRIOR32":s6jjfx3k said:
...the tiniest nick can grow into a split and waste your head.. it happened to me.. melting it in gives you a perfect cutout.
Which is what the $5 template is for. :)

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

SGarrett":16iys21c said:
SHOGUNWARRIOR32":16iys21c said:
...the tiniest nick can grow into a split and waste your head.. it happened to me.. melting it in gives you a perfect cutout.
Which is what the $5 template is for. :)
Cool...never seen those before..will have to check them out.

JAdrums2k

SGarrett":3bjebs7q said:
Remo DynamO's and Aquarian PortHoles are templates for cutting holes. You stick them on the head, score around the inside with a razor, and then cut the hole out. The template stays on the head for protection. It's the same thing you see on heads that come with pre-cut port holes.
Those are great!!
I use the "HOLZ" plastic rings. You cannot make a mistake w/ those.
Otherwise I slip trying to cut around a can or cymbal, etc...

PDP9000

Don't cut a hole by yourself then the drum head would be runined.
I use a special tool for my holes in my bass drum becuase i put
these plastic rings in it. or you could just go out and buy a new head
they are not that expensvie.

john_bonham73

I have a 26" bass drum and I would love to not have any holes in the resonant head if it was up to me. But for some reason,the local sound engineers get all jammed up if you dont have a hole.