Micing Bass Drums

TheLoneGunman

Yo, in my new band, my bass drum is kinda getting drowned out at the gigs. Now I think I know the problem, but a guy who claimed to be a drummer commented and it got under my skin a bit so I figured I would present the situation to you all and see what you guys think.

My bass drum is standard 22" x 18" Remo Powersonic. My reso head is the stock 12 year old Yamaha logo head with about a 10" hole in the front. So I realize that it's essentially like playing a drum with no reso head. I've got a towel laying on the bottom of my bass drum, not touch either head, with my bass drum mic laying on it.

Now I realize that my volume will increase a bit once I get a new reso head, but it's not gonna be that noticable over the rest of the band. What I'm needing is for the bass drum mic to be turned up on the board. I don't think there's anything wrong with my drums or my tuning technique, but it's all about how the band has the sound board set up. I mean there's only so much volume out of a drum, if you want it louder turn the mic up. That's what mics and amps are for. I mean, when you want the guitar louder you turn the amp up, you don't ask the guitar player to play his guitar harder. lol It's the same thing here with the drum.

However, is it possible that I'm losing volume by having the mic laying inside the bass drum. Would it be better if the mic was on a stand in front of the kit?

peace all

much love and respect

TheLoneGunman

zen_drummer

Not enough information... you told us about the Mic... but not the PA!

Do you have subs? How much power, etc.

The best micing tecnique in the wold won't help if you don't have a PA that can get the drum up into the mix.

Hit us up with some additional details, I'm sure we can help!

vincemie

your not gonna lose that much volume by having it laying down unless the blanket covers it up. try putting the mic on a stand and put the mic about an inch into your hole you can go farther if you want to. ask the sound guy for some more kick volume too the mic volume may have a lot to do with it. a 12 year old reso head NEEDS to be changed like a baby who crapped itself a week ago and may very well make your drum more sensitive and louder. good luck

TheLoneGunman

zen_drummer":2ki8p39i said:
Not enough information... you told us about the Mic... but not the PA!

Do you have subs? How much power, etc.

The best micing tecnique in the wold won't help if you don't have a PA that can get the drum up into the mix.

Hit us up with some additional details, I'm sure we can help!
Yeah, I know that there's 2 15" Mackie Subs running with two 15" Mackie PA Speakers. As for the board it looks like power amp of some kind. I'm not sure about the wattage or anything specific. I'll get the details at rehersal on tuesday. I was thinking that the power amp maybe the problem because it seems to me that the speakers and subs would be plenty fine. I've also heard it said that they keep the subs real quiet so they don't "blow anyone away" in the bar.

vincemie":2ki8p39i said:
a 12 year old reso head NEEDS to be changed like a baby who crapped itself a week ago and may very well make your drum more sensitive and louder. good luck
The band is going to buy me a custom graphic Powerstroke 3 reso head. The sooner the better. Because my reso head is for sure full of crap, lol

SGarrett

Get a new resonant head with a smaller and offset port, then put the mic' on a stand 1/2 to 3/4 into the drum and pointed to the left (audience side) of the impact zone. :)