METRONOMES

JACKMOVEDRUMMER1

I've been playing drums for 15 years, self taught and have recorded 5 cd's with different bands. I have a problem with using a metronome it takes my feel away. Does anyone know about anything that could possibly give you some type of pulse through your body instead of sound?

SGarrett

JACKMOVEDRUMMER1":2oqbgg9p said:
I've been playing drums for 15 years, self taught and have recorded 5 cd's with different bands. I have a problem with using a metronome it takes my feel away. Does anyone know about anything that could possibly give you some type of pulse through your body instead of sound?
You just have to get used to playing with one. If Josh Freese can groove to a click, I'm sure you can learn how to. :)

Buddylee78

try dividing up the click you're receiving from quarter notes to eight notes - maybe throw an accent on there too -

hope that helps

mathmikey003

Metronomes can actually be a lot of fun if you work with them in different ways. One of the things I like to do is groove all around the pulse. It's easy to sit there and bore yourself to tears just playing basic 4/4 with typical snare hits on the 2 and 4. But try landing your kicks and snare hits between the metronome clicks. Remember, you can divide a 4/4 beat as many times as you want, so try starting the click at about 120 bpm, and develop a groove in 16. Then try putting your kicks and snare hits in random yet consistent places (ex: kick on 2 and 9; snare on 6 and 14)...or try working out some odd-meter patterns and develop polyrhythms that way!

Rob the Drummer

Try placing the kick right on the beat, but place the snare behind the beat. Mathmikey is right about it, play around with the pulse, you don't have to be exactly with it, but make sure you don't lose it.

BillRayDrums

mathmikey003":3ktkahaj said:
Metronomes can actually be a lot of fun if you work with them in different ways. One of the things I like to do is groove all around the pulse. It's easy to sit there and bore yourself to tears just playing basic 4/4 with typical snare hits on the 2 and 4. But try landing your kicks and snare hits between the metronome clicks. Remember, you can divide a 4/4 beat as many times as you want, so try starting the click at about 120 bpm, and develop a groove in 16. Then try putting your kicks and snare hits in random yet consistent places (ex: kick on 2 and 9; snare on 6 and 14)...or try working out some odd-meter patterns and develop polyrhythms that way!
Hey Mikey!! You made it over here!

Everyone- Meet Mikey. He's my homey from San Diego and he is a B A D Mofo on the metal stuff.

As for the metronomes- Play with the click on the "upbeat" so where you are not "stepping" on the click but rather "swinging" with it. You=numbers click=&

|| : 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & : ||

Rob the Drummer

BillRayDrums":3a9xdp5g said:
mathmikey003":3a9xdp5g said:
Hey Mikey!! You made it over here!

Everyone- Meet Mikey. He's my homey from San Diego and he is a B A D Mofo on the metal stuff.

As for the metronomes- Play with the click on the "upbeat" so where you are not "stepping" on the click but rather "swinging" with it. You=numbers click=&

|| : 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & : ||
Good idea, however with a sequence you can't do that! :wink:

trstn

JACKMOVEDRUMMER1":2nyc4avt said:
Does anyone know about anything that could possibly give you some type of pulse through your body instead of sound?
weird thoughts come to my mind ...

There are these dodgy muscle stimulation pads for medical purposes. If somebody can hook these devices to a Midi controller for you you're done.. hehe put 2 pads on your bum and you got the right kick in the ... :D

;)
trstn

Groove

These are great suggestions. Playing with a metronome or a click just takes getting used to - that's all. Once you're comfortable and your meter is MUCH better, you'll learn how to stretch the time and yet, stay in time. Plus it's cool and a lot of fun to play one time over another. 3 over 2. 4 over 3. Etc. Just keep practicing with it over and over - you'll get better at it. And you'll also ind that playing to a slow click (60-80 BPM) can be more challenging than a fast click.

dwtoast72

Groove":1ex3an2z said:
These are great suggestions. Playing with a metronome or a click just takes getting used to - that's all. Once you're comfortable and your meter is MUCH better, you'll learn how to stretch the time and yet, stay in time. Plus it's cool and a lot of fun to play one time over another. 3 over 2. 4 over 3. Etc. Just keep practicing with it over and over - you'll get better at it. And you'll also ind that playing to a slow click (60-80 BPM) can be more challenging than a fast click.
Absolutely!! Just practice, practice, practice. Don't do what I did and buy a cheap ass metro with a headphone jack and no volume control. You'll walk around with a click in your head louder than nothin else all--day--long!

BillRayDrums

dwtoast72":2gzq650g said:
Groove":2gzq650g said:
Absolutely!! Just practice, practice, practice. Don't do what I did and buy a cheap ass metro with a headphone jack and no volume control. You'll walk around with a click in your head louder than nothin else all--day--long!
If you want to be real bad-ass then learn to play with the VISUAL reference (the swing of the pendulum, the blink of a light....just no sound)

SGarrett

BillRayDrums":15jwrd22 said:
dwtoast72":15jwrd22 said:
Groove":15jwrd22 said:
If you want to be real bad-ass then learn to play with the VISUAL reference (the swing of the pendulum, the blink of a light....just no sound)
That's how I'm the most comfortable. :D