Metalcore drummers?

Alcyon

I'm not in a metalcore band per say, but in my less-heavy post-hardcore band plays a cover of Norma Jean's "Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste" from time to time and it's a hell of a lot of fun. Really a chance to bash things really hard, which is nice, you know how it is. :p

A lot of bands get a lot whinier as they "progress"... Underoath and Norma Jean's first albums were definitely metalcore, but it went downhill from there. Same with Protest The Hero and their first album. I also really like I Hate Sally, if anyone's heard of them, and Destroy The Runner is another great metalcore band. The genre is a little vague I guess.

I don't know where you live, turbonathan, but the shows here are mostly full of dudes my age (17-19) with aggressive tendencies and a smattering of cute scene girls, so I'm not complaining. I'm more worried about the Lamb of God and Slayer shows with their legion of 40+ year old bald metalhead guys who pre-drank before the show.

Alan_

the term metalcore makes me think of all the late 80's "crossover" thrash/hardcore bands like SOD.

Alcyon

I always thought of metalcore as a more modern genre as opposed to SOD, Nuclear Assault, Suicidal Tendencies etc. which wikipedia considers to be "crossover thrash".

Alan_

one thing that bothers me when watching some metal drummers: they're playing fast as hell on the kicks, but they're using triggers and barely moving their feet. COME ON PUNCH THOSE KICKS!!!

percussle

Alan_":3ayjvi2i said:
one thing that bothers me when watching some metal drummers: they're playing fast as hell on the kicks, but they're using triggers and barely moving their feet. COME ON PUNCH THOSE KICKS!!!
uh oh. :shock:

Empyrean Drums

percussle":31bj2pfu said:
Alan_":31bj2pfu said:
uh oh. :shock:
Even if bands have over-triggered messaged with happy ending recordings you can still tell the difference between the ones who can bring it and the ones who can't; Just like with shitty anolog recordings dubbed on EP tapes playing on a shaft radio in a 2wd work truck
It's not the recording that gives the band it's energy, no matter how much you spend how how much equipment you use (or don't)

Alan_

I'm not talking about all guys who use triggers or anything so general, just a few people I've seen. I thought it looked kinda comical. Hell, Gene Hoglan's my favorite metal drummer ever, and he uses triggered sounds on his bass drums.

NG1284

So that's what people are calling metalcore now? The definition seems to change every couple of months.

stu

Alcyon":2d45oj8r said:
I always thought of metalcore as a more modern genre as opposed to SOD, Nuclear Assault, Suicidal Tendencies etc. which wikipedia considers to be "crossover thrash".
Speak English or die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have not heard too much new come out of the metalcore scene. I'm not digging it. But Cynic is recording a new album that's right I said CYNIC! If anybody is not familiar with the album Focus I highly recommend it. Then pick up the album titled "Human" from a band called Death same drummer. He's a bad ass

Empyrean Drums

stu":2ovqzo7k said:
Alcyon":2ovqzo7k said:
Speak English or die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have not heard too much new come out of the metalcore scene. I'm not digging it. But Cynic is recording a new album that's right I said CYNIC! If anybody is not familiar with the album Focus I highly recommend it. Then pick up the album titled "Human" from a band called Death same drummer. He's a bad ass
I just heard yesturday, I can't wait.

You should check out these guys-

http://www.myspace.com/blottedscience

Haxor

most metalcore drummers are better than 90% of people on here - so when you bag them, you look like a dickhead.

TheYardstick

Empyrean Drums":3kq6zrbd said:
stu":3kq6zrbd said:
Alcyon":3kq6zrbd said:
I just heard yesturday, I can't wait.

You should check out these guys-

http://www.myspace.com/blottedscience
I'd rather see new Blotted Science than see Cynic come back and not be Metal.

The new song is cool, but I always relied on Cynic to give me my Progressive Metal fix.

xdoseonex

NG1284":2xqmb33k said:
So that's what people are calling metalcore now? The definition seems to change every couple of months.
metalcore is a hybrid of metal and hardcore. always has been always will be