Metal vs. wood snare

metal vs. wood snares

• metal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • wood

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

paul89

I prefer wooden snare :) I like warm and very concentraded sound. But I don't tell that wooden is better than metal snare :) Depends also ,what species of music do you play :p

anavrinIV

i really like maple snares but i also like the sound of brass and aluminum ones. if i had to choose just one snare though, it would be a maple one.

REVEREND_HUDSON

Lately I have been rocking the Maple 5". Though I love brightness of brass, the warmth of Maple just sounds good with my Maple kit and big fat daddy toms and kick etc. MMMMMM warm like coffee....

drummerboi

i'd say 50/50.... I like using my maple or my birch snares but i also love the bite that my 6.5 x 13 copper snare has.

BillRayDrums

I have a 6.5x13 Dunnett Titanium that I use on about 99% of my work. If there's a need for a wood snare I can bring one- either a 7x14 Maple or a 5x14 Maple (Taye Studio Pro)

The Dunnett drum has been really good. :)

~B

drumsetsteve

Wood---- I have a TAMA (Walnut) Snare and a Pacific (Maple)
Snare drum. The sound on Both are alive with the maple
being very loud and the walnut being a little more dark.
I have two metal snare drums, I have not used them for
a long time.

soliddrummer

I use a 5 1/2 by 14 maple Pearl Master's Custom and it is an absolute dream to play. I had a brass Yamaha before that, but the metal overtone was a bit annoying for the style of music I play, which is various! I find that a wooden snare is more versatile, whereas metal is mainly good for that loud, ringy sound if that's what you want, then great.

wolfsburg6674

right now i have a maple but im looking to invest on a chad smith signature and i believe its nickle?...i dont know what kind of metal it is but it sounds fantastic....so i guess i like both

Turi

I prefer wood... but metal is much more sensitive IMO... so tend to be a bit better for more articulate stuff.

ratfinkdrummer

Well, I have what I feel are some pretty good examples of both. Wood: Slingerland Radio King's {1-ply maple} in 5x14, 6.5x14 & 8x14. Ludwig 3-ply maple in 6.5x14. Metal: Ludwig Brass Supra's in 5x14 & 6.5x14. Aluminum Alloy {60s} Supra's in 5x14 & 6.5x14, and a 5x14 Acrolite. The Radio King's are awesome in the studio, sound fat live, but don't quite cut how I like. My fave? '62 Ludwig Alloy 6.5x14 Supra. Will CRACK through the loudest din and crisp and sensitive for the lightest buzz rolls.

anavrinIV

ROCKET SHELLS SKETCH":3g786qqx said:
hmmm.what about carbon fiber or even Acrylic???
never played a carbon fiber but i like acrylic...very bright but warmer than something like steel.

drumdug

I just purchased a Mapex Pro Series Maple Snare 14x6.5 and I love it. Very warm sounding and alot of punch.

loop

I currently use a maple snare and I'm in love with it. I like the warmth of wooden snares but I must say I'd love to own a brass snare...

Animal

paul89":1ou6hyaw said:
I prefer wooden snare :) I like warm and very concentraded sound. But I don't tell that wooden is better than metal snare :) Depends also ,what species of music do you play :p
No further comments; I totally agree with you!

mattkinel

Acrylic snares have there place. They have NO tone, but there volume is second to none and they have tons of crack. I played a Tempus fiberglass snare, actually a whole kit, and it sounds AMAZING! Dosent sound a bit like acrylic, its warm has a very woody sound and has the durability of acrylic.

I personally thing wood and metal snares cannot be compared. There sound characteristics are uncomparable. You cant get the warm woody sound out of a metal drum that you can out of a wood drum, its just impossible!

I guess the question could be changed to What snare material do you use under your normal playing circumstances, and which material would you use under what circumstance/musical genre.

To answer my own question, under normal playing I play a metal snare, but with the vintage style thick heavy hoops, to get a warmer, woodyer sound out of the metal shell. I would switch to a wooden snare when I want a crack, pop, loose sound, tight sound, or for special effects. I think if I could only own 1 snare, it would be a metal snare. I just get bored with the sound of a metal snare because its pretty predictable. I love wood snare drums for color, flavor, and not for practical uses but for personal enjoyment.

Well, I guess I didnt answer the first question asked, and my rambling probally dosent make much sence but, whatever, it made sence when I first thought of it

a very tired, matt kinel

Bigd11

I love the harsh attack of a good tight 14x4 brass snare, ive tried wooden snares but i have to say that for me, metal will always be better for me