metal/scearmo druuming

Blitzer135

anything, you see i need to learn to play this stuff asap. hopefully you could tell me the foundations and some godd songs to practice?

SGarrett

From what I've noticed, these genres seem to be about making the drums as overly complicated as possible. What some people like to call "making it interesting".

The best place to learn any genre is by listening to existing bands.

Alcyon

your hihat is going to be used less. screamo drummers really only use rides and hihats for verse parts; heavy breakdowns and choruses almost always have crashes on the quarter notes with your right hand, keeping time. you're going to have to play around with syncopation and finding a really thumpy kick sound. 4-piece kits are really the norm, unless you like a pair of floor toms, and most screamo folks put their toms flat as pancakes and their cymbals totally level, really high up on the stands. You'll also see a lot of double kicking, but not straight notes, mostly as fills or short sections of a beat.

bands to learn from, Alexisonfire is a good start, Norma Jean is a little tougher, From First To Last, From Autumn To Ashes, Underoath, etc. etc.

Timekeep69

I really don't think you're going to learn either style quickly. All you can really do is listen to a few bands and play along to them.

MasterShake89

to get a good grip on "screamo/hardcore" drumming, your gonna wanna check out:
haste the day
dance gavin dance
from autumn to ashes
drop dead gorgeous (dressed for friend requests, check it out on their myspace, myspace.com/dropdeadgorgeous that song seems to have a lot of what the style is like, at least to me)
some senses fail, older stuff most likely.
silverstein
sky eats airplane
underoath
protest the hero
from first to last.
alesana
try four letter lie and four year strong, kinda offa the path but have some elements of the drumming, 'specially four year strong.

out of all those, the most important are probably the first three imo.

as for metal, theres a lot of different kinds of metal.
slayer
lamb of god,
august burns red and destroy the runner kinda go together
unearth (one of my favorites)
then theres the fast ass shit like, all that remains, shadows fall, decapitated, the faceless, cattle decapitation, behemoth, black dahlia murder
theres also a lot of good progressive metal like dream theater (mike portnoy is the man) and all of bucketheads stuff.
other random bands:
as blood runs black, as I lay dying (try the older stuff), children of bodom, killswitch engage, necrophagist, and a ton more.

MasterShake89

oh and as for the playing style of screamo,
a lot of times, it wont focus on straight double bass, and if it does it isnt out of control fast usually. Hardcore screamo music usually has really cool almost metal breakdown type riffs everywhere, sometimes with intricate foot patterns, and some really cool chugs here and there. and a bunch of screamo uses fast blasts of double bass in some of those breakdown riffs, (see the drop dead gorgeous song listed above)

Jesus

MasterShake89":3dafzqox said:
to get a good grip on "screamo/hardcore" drumming, your gonna wanna check out:
haste the day
dance gavin dance
from autumn to ashes
drop dead gorgeous (dressed for friend requests, check it out on their myspace, myspace.com/dropdeadgorgeous that song seems to have a lot of what the style is like, at least to me)
some senses fail, older stuff most likely.
silverstein
sky eats airplane
underoath
protest the hero
from first to last.
alesana
try four letter lie and four year strong, kinda offa the path but have some elements of the drumming, 'specially four year strong.

out of all those, the most important are probably the first three imo.

as for metal, theres a lot of different kinds of metal.
slayer
lamb of god,
august burns red and destroy the runner kinda go together
unearth (one of my favorites)
then theres the fast ass shit like, all that remains, shadows fall, decapitated, the faceless, cattle decapitation, behemoth, black dahlia murder
theres also a lot of good progressive metal like dream theater (mike portnoy is the man) and all of bucketheads stuff.
other random bands:
as blood runs black, as I lay dying (try the older stuff), children of bodom, killswitch engage, necrophagist, and a ton more.
Listen to Necrophagist, but DO NOT attempt to play their songs in public untill you are at least mid-intermediate level.