Metal hi hats

Mcrp

I have decided on purchasing new hi-hats.

For a while now I just used Zildjian A New Beats. They are nice but they are kind of bland I guess.

The music I play is fast metal/grind. I want something heavy but the hats need to be fast too, not gongy. I am looking into Z Custom Dyno Beats, 13". Anyone have any suggestions here

Qbs

Personally I don't like Z Custom. Have you thought about some 13" AAX hats?

AMTJake

I'm more familiar with sabian than anything else...I use 14"HHX and they work well for what I do, but if you're looking for a little more crispness try the AAX like QBS just said or the AA-MetalX or the AA series. Try looking into Paiste as well.

Better yet goto a drum shop and try out every single hihat you can until you find something you want, they will work with you to find whats best because they work on commission.

stevo

ive played my friends 13" Z dyno beat top with 13" paiste rude sound edge bottom. its really heavy, not good if u were gonna play something fast and light on the hats, awesome for metal though. i figure the dyno beats are probly even more heavier than that

millsybaby

I use the 14" Rude Sound Edge and some now discontinued 15" Signature Power Hi-Hats - the sigs are the ultimate metal hi-hats! They still make the 14" so check them out. Their a tad pricey, but you'll never need another pair for metal stuff.

Z customs get old but for studio use and heavyness i use the bottom of a AAX metal hat on top and a B8 pro on bottom both bottom hats and on X-hat system use the top AAX metal hat and a B8 pro on bottom i get a nice heavy "Chick" on my mains and nice" thrashy trashy chick"sound on my Right,but every now and then i pull out my K Dark hats,but iam a very on orthadoics player

Animal

For a raw, defined (metal) sound, I'd say Paiste Rude hats.

But I would stongly advice you to stick to your New Beat hi-hats, as I am pretty sure you're going to get bored with the Rude sound after a while... :wink:

I know, because I thought Rude hats were "metal!", whitch is correct enough, but they doesn't perform very much, besides this I think. I play... New Beat's of course! Great for all kinds of music, also hard rock/metal.

A very good alternative to the Paiste rude hats, would be the Istanbul TÃ¥rk series. Very raw and defined sound, and perfect for metal.

sspercussion

Alchemy Professional Power Hats are a great chioce as well. I've been using the 14" version off and on for a while now. I also tend to like the Alchemy Mixed hats. 13" for metal? Most that I know of use 14" and 15". If you have the room, you might want to increase the diameter an inch.

The Alien Drummer

In years of talking to various drummers I've learned that everyone has a differnet way of describing cymbals. What I consider bright and clean you may consider too "chicky". There's no replacing just going to the store and hitting them. I recently got to hit some paiste signature dark energy 15's and they were sweet!

dannydrumperc

sspercussion":2u5oqe38 said:
Alchemy Professional Power Hats are a great chioce as well. I've been using the 14" version off and on for a while now. I also tend to like the Alchemy Mixed hats. 13" for metal? Most that I know of use 14" and 15". If you have the room, you might want to increase the diameter an inch.
I know a guy who swears by his Alchemy cymbals and he plays quite heavy stuff.

I tried once an old pair of 13" Z Customs (hex hammer marks) that sounded very nice and full bodied - even with a small crack on the top cymbal.

If you want fast and not too washy hats then I would suggest Zildjian Quick Beats or Sabian Fusion hats. Both feature cup-less bottom cymbals with holes (1/4" dia. aprox.) for preventing airlock. Personally, I have more experience (college band) with the QB and think they would great on a metal setting. A friend of mine had the Sabians. I think his pair was from the HH series, but sabian repeats models among their serieses, so there should be a AA Fusion Hats.

I went to a guitar center where they'll let you mix match any hi hats together.

I came up with a combination of a Zildjian Quick beat bottom hat
with a Rock beat top hat... Real chicky and loud with quick cut off if needed, I spent about two hours with different combinations of hats, mixing different manufacturers etc, trying to get the best sound, and found this combo to be the best for me...

If you haven't picked up your hats yet, definately take a trip to Guitar Center and check out some hats...

Have a good one 8)