Metal Drummers vs. Jazz Drummers

What style of music do you think is harder to play?

• Jazz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

drummert2k

elchris2k6":n16qlt1o said:
jazz is more creative, a more expandable sound...metal is just fast and loud
agree. metal is hard and technical but mainly just because you have to play some really fast passages and play them really tight. jazz is just a whole new world and then theres all the little sub genres that branch off of jazz.

Homki890

Jazz. The amount of expertise needed to be a good jazz drummer is light years ahead for a metal drummer. There is a finesse that has to be attained.

Homki890

Shalaq

I'd say both are hard technically, but I voted for jazz. I did it because most metal bands are juz in the loud&fast corner of the technical spectrum. The are some bands like Death or Cynic that expanded it more to look like a jazz oriented spectrum. But there are more jazz bands covering everything technically than metal bands.
If we talk about finesse, than both need it. But metal being this fast& tight, there's not really much to be finesse about. So even if the drummer is very good, if he doesn't play intricate parts very fast, he won't play them at all. If a jazz drummer is very emotional and creative but a bit slower, he can still manage to play how he feels and be heralded as a great drummer.

Chazdrums

Jazz can get very very fast, lol. So all in all even though I love to play and listen to metal, Jazz takes the cake. Im a working professional drummer. At one time or another Ive played both. And everytime I have to play Bebop or Hardbop, Big Band or anything Jazz that dosent have a steady backbeat its chalenging! And when your playing at the speen of light with nothing on the up beats except your high hat, it can get crazy. But whenever I play a jazz gig, even a reading jazz gig its always way harder than any type of music other than latin music in odd time. Latin Jazz is the hardest of all.

drummaman

today i sat down at my kit, and tried playing both styles, now im a predominantly jazz drummer if asked to choose between the two and still i found jazz harder to play. the technicality of jazz music as well as all of its styles makes it difficult to become a very good 'jazz' drummer unless you are specific in one area like the bossa nova in which case it is not to difficult to beccome a very good bossa nova player.

however metal is different, now i cant play a double bass drum pedal, they just confuse my feet :? but still its not to difficult to play metal if you loosen your hi-hats and play around, sure the technical side of prog metal takes skill but as a whole, i find metal easier

just my opinion, good topic

metaldrummer

I will not choose with this because both are equally talented.

Jazz has tons and tons of great rhythms and is a style any drummer should learn. It takes a lot of talent

Metal usually takes different drumming styles and put it into one small package. There are a few metal drummers like: Jason Bittner and Mike Portnoy(sp) who have gone to a music school, and who studied different styles.

I chose jazz; I play both, and I find jazz much more challenging because in jazz you have to really know what you're doing. I've studied jazz for years and there is still so much to learn (I know that's true on drums for an entire career, but in that type of music even more so). However, there are many fantastic players in both genres.

Shalaq":14ffzidn said:
I'd say both are hard technically, but I voted for jazz. I did it because most metal bands are juz in the loud&fast corner of the technical spectrum. The are some bands like Death or Cynic that expanded it more to look like a jazz oriented spectrum. But there are more jazz bands covering everything technically than metal bands.
If we talk about finesse, than both need it. But metal being this fast& tight, there's not really much to be finesse about. So even if the drummer is very good, if he doesn't play intricate parts very fast, he won't play them at all. If a jazz drummer is very emotional and creative but a bit slower, he can still manage to play how he feels and be heralded as a great drummer.
Amen to that. There are many metal drummers and bands of jazz origins, Dillinger Escape Plan, Ephel Duath, Sleep Terror, Meshuggah. I'm a big fan of both. Once you have learned the art of syncopating, you're tuned in-to jazz then employ as and when necessary to whatever type of ensemble you're playing with.

elchris2k6":2kxxw51k said:
You're point is both true and untrue. Jazz is highly skilled and creative but, so is metal, not just fast and loud. Drummers that play in a certain style or band don't necessarily deserve to be doing so, because, the popularity of a band, the CV of a drummer, the amount of millions the albums sold or how many weeks it stays at number one, doesn't account for quality. An example of that is Lars Ulrich, biggest disgrace to both drumming and metal, a poor mans impression of Animal on a good day. Fame can come from pity, hence the abundance of reality TV shows. It is wrong to say that metal is JUST fast and loud, metal as with any other genre or sub-genre spawns countless amounts of bands that fit a certain catergory but sound millions of miles apart. For you to say that, is the equivelant of me working in your local H.M.V. and refusing to let you buy a Motzart CD unless you produce ID to prove you are a freemason.

WhiteOleander

mm personally I love/ play metal with my band.. but I agree with you all that jazz is more creative and musically impressive.. which is the reason I started taking lessons in jazz drumming, so i'm trying to incorporate that into the style i play now =)

strokelahoma

Yeah I feel both Types of music are fun and have their challenging points but I am not really even that great of a drummer and I can play metal with no problem so I would say in general dificulty Jazz is an easy win :wink:

rms500watt

Harder? so we're talking about... is it Harder for ourselves or in general for everyone? and harder as in.. physically/ emotionally/ mentally harder or just all of it?

well generally speaking.. metal is harder to play physically and jazz would have to be harder to play mentally. even though theyre both right up there with each other.

Listen to some 'brutal' death metal, and tell me that blasting for practically 30+ minutes is physically easier than like.. Planet X with Donati doing his off the wall (awesome) jazz beats.

And while you're listening to Planet X, tell me that the beats Donati is doing is Not as technical or complex as basic blast beat..fill..blast.

You guys catch my Sarcasm here?

and as far as which is Emotionally harder... u cant really speak for anyone else about that... But for me.. theyre both equally as hard

and also.. "Metal is Loud"

wtf is that supposed to mean...
Im listening to, the ever so Brutal, Gorgasm though my headphones while Greg Howe is Blasting though my 1000 watt PA system. So metal isnt loud in that situation.

Loud has Nothing to do with anything.

but anyways.. thats just my 2cents. and keep in mind.. its just my opinion. :!: [/quote][/b]

phoenix7289

I was surprised when I saw that no one had mentioned Nicko McBrain, and how it took so long to mention Mike Portnoy.... my god. Nicko McBrain(Iron Maiden) has got to be, in my eyes, the best drummer out there. I mean, if you really listen to his drumming, especially on any of Iron Maiden's new albums of the 21st century, like the last one, A Matter of Life and Death(2006), you'll notice how amazing his playing is! 5 words for him: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns.

Mike Portnoy... though he has a major set... he knows how to use it!!! Any song off of Images and Words by Dream Theater. Yah....

Tell me jazz is harder now.

Dale

Personally, I do not like the attitude within music that points to this vs that. It's all music. There is no telling that a drummer who chose to play metal and became good at that style would not have succeeded at jazz, had he or she chosen that style.

Some friends of mine, all fine young drummers, have been playing me quite a lot of the newer metal music that has been released. I am hearing some very interesting drumming in the process. Much of it is very creative and offers a degree of interesting "playability" for drummers. Syncopated beats, lots of big fills etc. If this is what a player wishes to play, I see nothing wrong with that choice.

The major difference, at least to me, is not whether this or that style is more complicated than the other. To me focusing on that is to miss the point entirely as to what these two styles offer. The major difference between rock music and jazz, is that most rock music, whether it be heavy metal, prog or classic rock, is that it is rehearesed to be played the same way during each performance. There might be improvisation to some extent within a live performance, but the music is basically rehearsed and this is what the audience expects.

Jazz music, although the form has structure, is meant to be played with a high level of improvisation, or to put it another way, instant composition. Instant composition is an art that gives the players more freedom of expression over a longer period. If this is the direction one wants to follow, it offers a great deal.

It's all up to the individual.

Years ago when pop and rock were in their formative years and were gaining wide acceptance, the old jazzers often had very negative things to say about the newer style. There may have been many reasons for this. Some may simply have been jealous that the simpler, folk oriented, players were getting the fame and riches that followed. Others may have poured scourn upon what they saw as the lack of skill needed to play it. But then most of the old jazzers couldn't have rocked out even had they so desired. And it can be said that the younger guys probably couldn't play jazz to save their lives. It all equals itself out.

If anything, I don't blame either style for its shortcomings. What may be a problem though to my way of thinking isn't so much this style against that, but the attitude of many drummers who believe they only wish to do one thing, and that thing is the very best. I prefer to remain open and try, at least to some degree, to understand as much as I can about all styles. It is important to be able to cope with as many situations as possible in order to achieve what it is I want from music.

Drummers are not alone, many musicians decide that one style is of less value than another. Percussionists often have the same prejudice. I've heard Afro/Cuban percussionists attack Brazilian percussion on many occassions. I've also heard them argue amongst themselves as to what is the correct and incorrect clave pattern.

I've heard classical music fans criticise everything that wasn't classical. As a musician I realise it's important to understand that every discipline takes practice, dedication and study. Whether it's playing a written or improvisied piece.

I think it's the same across all walks of life. You see it in team sports all the time. Both teams are playing the same thing, but some choose to favour one over the other. I've especially seen it in martial arts. Personally I'd like to see musicians embrace all mucisal styles. Or at least learn some respect.

xdoseonex

elchris2k6":1aqll5y5 said:
Never is it more apparent that someone knows nothing about metal drumming then when they say something like "Metal is just fast and loud"

personally. i love metal. its all i LISTEN to.
as far as playing goe's they are both substantially hard. ok yeah lets playa simple blast beat. boring.

in music its about exspression and accentin the music, especially for us. and both do just that. and its not always about how fast you can do a single stroke roll round the kit with metal its expression.

i apluad those who can play manys styles and not just simple minded. for drums as a whole are hard enough, slightly changing the subject, i hate people who think drums are easy coz we "hit" stuff. argh

giantdrummer

I chose jazz just cause there wasnt a button for both! I sway towards jazz more, but they are both just as equall as each other! I think that you cant say one is better than the other, just like any sort of music. You can however like one more than the other! All music has to be appreciated!

p.s Im affraid hip-hop beats win hands down! Ha Ha! :D