metal and hardcore

RILY!

First off i have been drumming for around two years,
and im trying to figure it out without having to take lessons.
(cause i cant really afford them)
I would like to get into metal and hardcore drumming.
So pretty much im looking for some tips and insight.
Anything would be helpful.

Thanks.

seandude

learn to read music and practice practice practice....get lessons! and learn double bass and the ummm whatever its clalld when u hit the snare crash and double basss its like a metal thing...ejeez i cant remember what itsOHHH blast beat learn that! and if ur really in hardcore ide get two bass drums

DrumminBari

I hate to say it but you wont get far with out some sort of lessons. Doesnt neccisarly have to be pro either, if your in highschool join band or drumline and get lessons from the instructor. But definetly learn to read music. Nothing drives me nuts like playing with anyone who plays any instrument when they cant read. Its a must even if your in a garage band and your music never makes it to notation, it will still help sort it out in your head.

As far as metal and hardcore go, feet chops. Learn rudiments on both your hands and feet. Even though I dont use my double as much as some, I still make sure whatever my hands can do, my feet can do.

CASCINAIDRUMS

DrumminBari":2zqt6n0j said:
I hate to say it but you wont get far with out some sort of lessons. Doesnt neccisarly have to be pro either, if your in highschool join band or drumline and get lessons from the instructor. But definetly learn to read music. Nothing drives me nuts like playing with anyone who plays any instrument when they cant read. Its a must even if your in a garage band and your music never makes it to notation, it will still help sort it out in your head.

As far as metal and hardcore go, feet chops. Learn rudiments on both your hands and feet. Even though I dont use my double as much as some, I still make sure whatever my hands can do, my feet can do.
I would not say that , I have not takin one lesson and I have made thousands and have been on the radio ,have been on tv and headline everywhere so it's not about lessons it's about how often do you practice I used to practice 8 hours a day and if you can't do that then forget it,,, you need to do the best with your hands and feet ,,,what ever you can do with your hands you have to do with your feet and don't give up,,,, be the best and f*9k the rest !!!

alexforwood

Hey mate, just to let ya know I got into your position a couple of years ago, and now I am the "metal drummer" to ask for at school lol. (But I'm still not the best in the school because I am at KEGS with Harpal Mudhar, the new Young Drummer of the Year. Damn him and his awesome skills lol).

You don't need lessons trust me on that one, I will admit now I take lessons but my teacher is a Jazz player, doesn't teach double bass skills AT ALL or anything else to do with hardcore, he teaches me all the other styles Latin Jazz etc.

With metal its quite simple. LISTEN TO IT. Get as much metal music as you can lay your hands on. Start out with Iron Maiden, Metallica, Black Sabbath old school stuff because thats probably gonna suit your current level well, then move up to stuff like DragonForce, All That Remains more new hard core stuff. Oh and if you can BUY THE 'ROADRUNNER UNITED' CD and DVD PACK. The dvd is CHOC FULL of metal drummers all showing how to do that shit PRO STYLE. Its fantastic.

Good luck!!

Timekeep69

Get an ipod and play along to some of your favorite songs. Don't worry about playing note for note and beat for beat, just get the basics of the song down.

Parrish

u shouldnt need lessons, chuck on some good hxc bands and just fukin play. You have been playin for 2 years which is longer than most, you dont have to play the song all the way through. I never had lessons and just taught myself, but i had listened to hardcore before i started, do u listen to hxc now?

RILY!

Parrish":2lvl0a0h said:
u shouldnt need lessons, chuck on some good hxc bands and just fukin play. You have been playin for 2 years which is longer than most, you dont have to play the song all the way through. I never had lessons and just taught myself, but i had listened to hardcore before i started, do u listen to hxc now?
yeah i listed to hardcore and metal before i started playing the drums.
but i just got my double pedal this last christmas.
and i might possibly be getting lessons i dont know.
i really appreciate everyones advice and help
it means allot to me.
thanks!!

keep em coming please.

Flatliner

practice, practice, and more practice. Even you can afford to do it for very long at least make sure you've had some lessons on how to hold the sticks and proper technique, it may seem like not that big a deal but for the type of music you want to play the better your technique is the easier it will be to play the music.

If you learn to read it will also help a great deal, learning to understand what the notes on a page mean and how they relate within the music will really tighten up your playing.

LebBoomer

ight bro, 1st off thos hardcore drummers are FUCKING CRAZY!!! ( www.myspace.com/thetenthcircle ) that guy is nuts. all i can say is if u wanna play hardcore u just need to work your ass off on that set like 4-5 even to 8 hours a day. now metal on the other hand isn't as complicated. alltho it can be hard as shit it can be played so many ways and still be bad ass. like the other guys are sayin. get an ipod or a cd player and just jam along. doesnt have to match just needs to go along with the beat. one day you`ll be able to do that hardcore stuff, ya just got practice.

Eiren

Aye, start slow. Develop your technique, get everything solid and locked down. Buy a metronome, start it off slow, and then practice for a week or two at a set speed. Once you've got yourself solid on it, push the speed up a little more... and so on and so on.

Drummers who go straight for speed, without having developed technique first, are usually extremely sloppy.