Meinl

|-JAMIE-|

Ive heard alot of good things about Meinl Cymbals and ive only just started looking into them today. What are the top line cymbals they make? like are the Meinl Byzance crashes same line as A customs or better?
cheers fellas

pow3rtr1p

Byzance are pretty much the best you can find at a place like Musician's Friend. I believe that the Classics series is more of a mid-range line, as they use B8 bronze. Soundcasters use B12, and then the Mb20 and Mb10 lines use B20 and B10 Bronze, respectably. So, this is what I assume, solely based on the quality of bronze in the cymbals. These are their lines, from best to worst.

1.) Byzance
2.) Mb20
3.) Soundcasters
4.) Mb10
5.) Classics
6.) HCS

Then, there are random cymbals like the Kompressor crash, Generation X, etc, but as far as complete lines, I think that's how they work.

anavrinIV

from what i gather, all lines amun and up are supposed to be top quality but the different alloys allow for different tonal characteristics from the metal itself, and the further hammering, shaping, lathing, etc...changes it from there. byzance are the "top of the line" cymbals i believe, but the rest is preference. i hear that soundcasters crack easily though, so beware of them. everything is fair game though. b8 will be the brightest of them all (amuns and classics), b10 a little darker (mb10), b12 darker than that (soundcaster), and b20 the darkest (byzance, mb20). of course, the metal is only part of the overall sound but it does make a difference. it is a common misconception that anything below b20 is lower quality...this is incorrect. b20 is preferred overall but cast, hammered b8 cymbals are nice and quite expensive...paiste 2002s anybody?

meinldude69

pow3rtr1p":3cttgqre said:
Byzance are pretty much the best you can find at a place like Musician's Friend. I believe that the Classics series is more of a mid-range line, as they use B8 bronze. Soundcasters use B12, and then the Mb20 and Mb10 lines use B20 and B10 Bronze, respectably. So, this is what I assume, solely based on the quality of bronze in the cymbals. These are their lines, from best to worst.

1.) Byzance
2.) Mb20
3.) Soundcasters
4.) Mb10
5.) Classics
6.) HCS

Then, there are random cymbals like the Kompressor crash, Generation X, etc, but as far as complete lines, I think that's how they work.
correction,
it goes more like:
1) Mb20
2)Byzance
3)Soundcaster Custom
4)Mb10
5)Mb8
6)Classics
7)MCS
8)HCS

Jimbob2020

meinldude69":1kjqna89 said:
pow3rtr1p":1kjqna89 said:

1.) Byzance
2.) Mb20
3.) Soundcasters
4.) Mb10
5.) Classics
6.) HCS

correction,
it goes more like:
1) Mb20
2)Byzance
3)Soundcaster Custom
4)Mb10
5)Mb8
6)Classics
7)MCS
8)HCS

I agree..