Meinl MCS

Hack_and_Slash

They're good for your first set of cymbals. If you already have a set of cymbals, you should just save up and buy the high quality meinl cymbals (byzance)

drumsforlife

Well, I have a set of zbts, and I was looking to expand, not upgrade just yet. Now I know the general consensus on zbts on this forum, but seeing as I consider myself an advanced beginner, I figure y'all would grant me some leeway with entry level stuff and all. I mean, I've played on other cymbals and I can tell the difference between a more pro line and an entry level line like zbt. It's the same thing for drums as well. I have a CB MX 5 piece. Would it be worth it to me to save double and upgrade(which I will eventually do) or go with the MCS? I looked at the HCS and figured they would be more similar to the zbts. At this point, I'm looking to add more variety to my sound, but not burn a hole in my wallet. I happen to think I've gotten my kit sounding decent, and the zbts aren't exactly complete crap. (believe me, I've had and played on worse) So my question is this: I saw a Meinl MCS cymbal pack that comes with a free filter china. Would that be worth it? The sizes of these cymbals are what I'm looking for. The only thing is that I do not need the hats. I actually like the 13" zbt hats I have now. I'd prolly end up selling them on ebay or something. I don't plan on upgrading my hats at all. Call me insane if you want, I'm just plain happy with the sound. Now I'd rather upgrade my kit first, which the CB toms sound really good with the work I've done on them. So my idea was to upgrade just my bass, and then get a rack to put everything on. I want to refinish my toms, and get a custom bass so I can somewhat sorta match them. I've already upgraded my snare. And then after all that, I was planning on upgrading with either more Meinl or Saluda. What do you think? Also, I was wondering the quality in terms of sound. Are they closer to GP trashcan lid shit cymbals, or are they closer to the zbt? Cause I can live with that. Call it a waste of money if you will, I'm more or less just thinking out loud at this point.

BTW...I'm not completely throwing your advice out the window. I had a sneaking suspicion that the MCS were along the lines of entry level or lower line than the rest. I don't have the money now so I have a while to think about it. I just wanted to get the thought process started, plus it makes for interesting conversation. Thanks!

drummer912

if u got a little more money to spend, look at the pst 5s, they sound quite nice. or sabian xs20. or heck even some zhts.

drumsforlife

I actually thought very long and hard on the psts. And I might just go with them. Like I said, I don't want to upgrade by a leap here. I'm looking to more or less expand. Thanks for reminding of the psts bro! I owe you a meal or something.

drummer912

aight we'll eat at the rookery lol. but yea as u already know i use them and they sound really great for low line-ers. the medium crash is really bright and full.

Hack_and_Slash

This is just my preference but I would rather upgrade to top notch cymbals one by one before expanding. It's gonna be expensive, but in the long run, you'll save a lot of money and you'll have very high quality cymbals. I'm in this position myself at the moment. Right now I have mostly sabian xs20's and they're not too bad compared to others.

anavrinIV

im with hack. over the past couple years ive upgraded my cymbals (all but chinas, even cheap ones sound good) and when you have good cymbals you just feel better about your drum set.

drumsforlife

drummer912":2znaqgin said:
aight we'll eat at the rookery lol. but yea as u already know i use them and they sound really great for low line-ers. the medium crash is really bright and full.
Heh, the manager banned me from the Rookery because when my band played there, and they didn't pay us, and the guy tried to duck down the alley to avoid paying us, we all chased after him yelling about money. The guy really expected us to show up for our next show but we didn't, therefore getting banned. LOL. It's a funny story.

drummer912

drumsforlife":3urptwvi said:
drummer912":3urptwvi said:
Heh, the manager banned me from the Rookery because when my band played there, and they didn't pay us, and the guy tried to duck down the alley to avoid paying us, we all chased after him yelling about money. The guy really expected us to show up for our next show but we didn't, therefore getting banned. LOL. It's a funny story.
wow, tht sucks. i guess my band wont be playing there lol.

drumsforlife

yea don't play there.

go for 550 Blues. that place is awesome. and they're always nice to us. and the sound guy isn't a jerk either. the CAD mic set-up he has for the drums is awesome, only he tells me they won't fit on gretsch sets or the sets with the ISS mounts...

drumsforlife

Oh i forgot to mention that the rookery has a very, VERY small stage, and to put bands up there is almost a crime. The two times I played there, without getting paid mind you, I was squished up against the window. May be a great place to go grab a beer, but not if you're in a band. The stage is more geared torward singer/songwriters, you know? hippies with guitars singing folk tunes about their beards? J/K The guy I play with has a song about his beard...

Hack_and_Slash

Now that I think about it, you really should get the MCS cymbals if you're looking to expand. Even though they're considered beginner cymbals, they sound way better than anything else in the price range. I tested them out in my local store. They're not bad and I'm actually considering getting them so I can replace my crappy Sabians XS20's for now...and then eventually replace them with the byzance ones.

drumsforlife

Yea, after shopping around for quite some time, I'm leaning more torwards the MCS. Of course, I own ZBTs and think they sound really decent for being beginner. I even went on the Meinl site and listened to the sound samples. I'm pretty sure that I'll end up being satisfied with the purchase. I'm not looking to go all out here and get the most expensive. I understand that I get what I pay for, but these seem the best for my money right now and what I want to do. Now I've been looking at saluda and istanbul for my upgrades, but when I upgrade, it will mainly be my ride, a crash, and maybe my hats. Everything else sounds good to me. I'm definately keeping my ZXT flash splash, ZBT China, and ZBT crash/ride. I can definately use them in effects set-ups I'm planning on.

You could argue it either way. Save up and upgrade or buy the MCS and end up making a lateral move. Like I said, I've been looking at Saluda and Istanbul for my upgrades, so to me, this isn't quite a waste of time and money, because I'll have more variation to my set-up, plus I'll be able to add in an effects stack that I've been planning on. Either way, I'm sure I'll be satisfied.

CHRISisDRUMS4

i know i should be doing this in classifieds. but if anyone is interested i am selling my pack of MCS Meinls. Barley used. im talking like no more than 30 hits.
just leave me a private message.