Me playin'. Give me some advice!

drumschick07

Here's me playing. I've posted some before. I'm putting one more new one in. I didn't get much feedback the last time so everyone let me know what you think. All criticism is welcome! Just go easy on me! I've been playing five years. Audio isn't the best. I need a good mic.
The first one is my playing "conflict" by Disturbed. I mess up in the middle because for some reason on my ipod the music skipped. One of them is me playing down with the sickeness which I think is the best one of them all.
http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.ph ... 178210.wma

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.ph ... 178210.wma

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.ph ... 085625.wma

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.ph ... 036509.wma

drummert2k

not horrible. sounds like a good start. just work a lot with your hands. you're hands sound "loose" and diddles and rolls tend to slop out and it sounds like you anticipate the beginning and ends of fills which give it a little bit of a jerky feel. im sure a better quality recording would do wonders because you sound like you have a good start. you just need to concentrate on your consistancy with your hands. couldnt hardly hear the bass drum so i cant really give ya any critisism there. i kow i sound like a broken record with this, but taking lessons does wonders for beginner drummers and really helps in the long run. think it over and consider it. just the extra eyes and ears will pick up the things you're missing and be able to help you correct them.

drumschick07

Well, now I feel like crap! I've been playing 5 years. Haha...that kinda sucks...five years and I sound like a beginner.

the recordings suck. I really want to record some in the studio. I probably wouldn't sound so bad if I had better mics and stuff.

Thanks for your advice!

michiganice91

another michigan person..coolness..i listened to the 1st link..not bad..i liked it lol..dont really have any tips. Just consider the fact that drummert2k has been drumming since the beginning of time lol.

drummert2k

drumschick07":3i6y8jvu said:
Well, now I feel like crap! I've been playing 5 years. Haha...that kinda sucks...five years and I sound like a beginner.

the recordings suck. I really want to record some in the studio. I probably wouldn't sound so bad if I had better mics and stuff.

Thanks for your advice!
i didnt mean it to sound negative. 5 years is really nothing when it comes to drumming. theres many 30 year olds out there who have been playing for 27 years. but 5 years behind the kit is really a very short time. so dont take my post as negative. you're off on a great start, and the stuff i mentioned i know are little things which are very often overlooked. thats why i recommended a teacher. not saying you suck, but just to have someone watch and listen for the small stuff while you are putting all your concentration on playing the notes and keeping the time. but dont feel like crap. theres nothing to be ashamed of in those links you posted of your drumming. but dont take my post as negative and bashing. im just mentioning the things that many drummers would overlook because all their focus is on physically playing the notes.

drummert2k

michiganice91":33od1t6a said:
another michigan person..coolness..i listened to the 1st link..not bad..i liked it lol..dont really have any tips. Just consider the fact that drummert2k has been drumming since the beginning of time lol.
yeah, i was a youngen when i started. once you've been playing for close to 20 years, 5 years doesnt seem like much at all. haha

drumschick07

drummert2k":b8sk9ndy said:
drumschick07":b8sk9ndy said:

Thanks for your advice!
i didnt mean it to sound negative. 5 years is really nothing when it comes to drumming. theres many 30 year olds out there who have been playing for 27 years. but 5 years behind the kit is really a very short time. so dont take my post as negative. you're off on a great start, and the stuff i mentioned i know are little things which are very often overlooked. thats why i recommended a teacher. not saying you suck, but just to have someone watch and listen for the small stuff while you are putting all your concentration on playing the notes and keeping the time. but dont feel like crap. theres nothing to be ashamed of in those links you sent of your drumming. but dont take my post as negative and bashing. im just mentioning the things that many drummers would overlook because all their focus is on physically playing the notes.
I know you didn't mean it in any way! I do need to work on those things. Can you explain more what you mean? Or how I can prevent myself from doing what I am.

I understand you have been playing a long time, and you are right, 5 years is NOTHING compared to how long some people have been playing.

Michiganice- Thanks!!!

drummert2k

heres my attemp at explaining in better detail some of the things i mentioned so stick with me. lol

about the "loose" diddles and rolls - it sounded like some of the little "rolls" on the hi hats were being "crushed" which basically means the diddles are uneven. when doing a diddle, the focus should be that the second note is as strong and confident as the first. diddling 16th notes should sound the same as playing them hand to hand. and this is a great way to practice them. play straight 16th notes at a nice comfortable tempo playing hand to hand ( r l r l r l.... ect) then switch to playing diddles ( r r l l r r l l ....) and focus on making the diddles sound as close to the straight 16ths as you can. and gradually build your speed with this until you get a nice open roll. but really focus on the quality of the notes keeping the second note of the diddle as strong as the first. and keep all those fingers on the stick. doing diddles i see lots of drummers pulling their pinkies and ring fingers off the stick. you need all them fingers for your control.

and the anticipating the fills - this is a problem everyone has at one point or another. basically, you're mind starts thinking about " holy crap, i need to do a fill" and you anticipate the fill slightly breaking time just enough to make it noticable. a great way to work this is to play along with a click or a cd playing 3 bars of time and then a bar of fill. switch this up and play whatever you want. but just focus on your feel going into the fill and then coming out of the fill back into playing time.

hpe that helped clear something up. if ya have anymore question ask away. its tricky explaining stuff like this on a board. but there are many great drummers full of knowledge on this site who you will be able to learn a lot from.

drumschick07

Believe it or not everything you just said made sense to me! I know I need to work on those things. Especially the fills but I'll learn with time. You definently know what you are talking about!

drummert2k

drumschick07":xnvzj43c said:
Believe it or not everything you just said made sense to me! I know I need to work on those things. Especially the fills but I'll learn with time. You definently know what you are talking about!
these things definetaly take time. but im sure when you play you're not thinking "ok, this second note of the diddle has to sound as strong as the first." no one thinks like that. it would make it impossible to play if you thought out every little detail about your playing. it just takes repitition to build the muscle memory so you dont have to think about it. thats where its good to have someone that can pcik those little things out and help correct it before it becomes a bad habit. and thank you. i never really had much of a social life. i usually would just lock myself in my room when i was younger and practice from the time i got home from school until i was too tired to play and went to bed. i was that weird deathy looking guy that slept in all my classes and always looked ill from lack of sleep due to practicing every day until i passed out from exhaustion. lol

drumschick07

drummert2k":141lymwq said:
drumschick07":141lymwq said:
these things definetaly take time. but im sure when you play you're not thinking "ok, this second note of the diddle has to sound as strong as the first." no one thinks like that. it would make it impossible to play if you thought out every little detail about your playing. it just takes repitition to build the muscle memory so you dont have to think about it. thats where its good to have someone that can pcik those little things out and help correct it before it becomes a bad habit. and thank you. i never really had much of a social life. i usually would just lock myself in my room when i was younger and practice from the time i got home from school until i was too tired to play and went to bed. i was that weird deathy looking guy that slept in all my classes and always looked ill from lack of sleep due to practicing every day until i passed out from exhaustion. lol
Haha, kinda sounds like how I was in school. Worked, played drums, slept in school. I love it and have a lot to learn. I guess thats what keeps me going. There's so much to learn in the world of drumming. I'll start paying more attention to the things you mentioned. Next time I get the chance to record I will make sure its the best that I can do to make it more presentable.

Thanks again for the advice!

drumschick07

drumsforlife":2hfs9222 said:
drummert2k is awesome, right? listen, he's helped me out the same way...
Yeah, I've never heard him play but he sounds like he knows what he's talking about! I'll take his advice and time.

any more comments about my playing?

BillRayDrums

drumschick07":2d3fpmv9 said:

Thanks for your advice!
I'm sitting here listeniong to this right now and I think you sound pretty darn good. Many of the other observations regarding time, rolls coming out short, etc. happen to us all from time to time. The key is to relax and "speak" in a clear manner.

As to your statement "Well now I feel like crap. I've been playing 5 years"....I've been playing for over 30 years and I still hear small miscalculations on recordings I do. After all that time, you'd think I would know better. A quote I've always liked is "Everyone makes mistakes...even masters. But the mistakes of masters are generally very small and percepively unnoticable."

As the quote says, everyone makes mistakes.

Rob the Drummer

BillRayDrums":3i9j0hku said:
drumschick07":3i9j0hku said:

Thanks for your advice!
I'm sitting here listeniong to this right now and I think you sound pretty darn good. Many of the other observations regarding time, rolls coming out short, etc. happen to us all from time to time. The key is to relax and "speak" in a clear manner.

As to your statement "Well now I feel like crap. I've been playing 5 years"....I've been playing for over 30 years and I still hear small miscalculations on recordings I do. After all that time, you'd think I would know better. A quote I've always liked is "Everyone makes mistakes...even masters. But the mistakes of masters are generally very small and percepively unnoticable."

Couldn't have been better said! We all make mistakes!

drumschick07

BillRayDrums":1xyh8tr1 said:
drumschick07":1xyh8tr1 said:

Thanks for your advice!

Thanks!I kind of freak out when its time to record and rush things because I'm nervous. So I really have to work on that too.

ereeber

Hey guys and gals. This is actually my first post (brand new here). I was reading all of the posts in this thread and can tell you that for the 15 years I've been playing, I've encountered the same issues. How did I solve it? I practiced the same exact fills over and over again. I then added them to a straight standard rock beat. The key here is to relax and know what your going to play. If you feel like changing a fill, or even a note at the last second, chances are, your going to go off time. Know what you want to play before you improvise. If your debating which fill to play until the last minute, then skip that fill and play a beat straight through it until your next chance. It's always better to keep time than it is to play an awesome fill out of time. The secret really is to just relax and make sure you breathe...

drumschick07

ereeber":196e8foz said:
Hey guys and gals. This is actually my first post (brand new here). I was reading all of the posts in this thread and can tell you that for the 15 years I've been playing, I've encountered the same issues. How did I solve it? I practiced the same exact fills over and over again. I then added them to a straight standard rock beat. The key here is to relax and know what your going to play. If you feel like changing a fill, or even a note at the last second, chances are, your going to go off time. Know what you want to play before you improvise. If your debating which fill to play until the last minute, then skip that fill and play a beat straight through it until your next chance. It's always better to keep time than it is to play an awesome fill out of time. The secret really is to just relax and make sure you breathe...
Thanks for the advice. I will definently start playing the same fills over and over to try and make my timing better. I've gotta pack the drums up for a couple weeks. As soon as I get a chance to record something better after practicing everything the guys said I will.

m

do you practice to a metronome or CDs much? Everyone can benefit from that

bam_bam07

yeah, 5 years is nothing...ive been playing for 7 and even though im not bad, im still a beginner. its sorta like, i was probably the 2nd best overall player at my high school (my baddy was better, and i say overall becasue stuff like death metal im definately not the best), but then going around seeing other bands, i wasnt really that good. But unless your buddy rich, we are all still learning new things hahaha