marching snare help

DrumlineXSnare

i just bought a pearl championship series marching snare. 1. it came with snare wires that weren't even metal i dont know if this is how they should be or what. 2. What kind of snar wires are best for a marching snare? and what kind of drum heads (bang for buck i have a small budget) are best?

AmnestysLowEnd

Marching snares do not use metal snares. They are also known as the "guts". As for heads a remo k flam is around $30, thats pretty cheap for a marching head. For the bottom it is acceptable to use a kevlar head, aka Marching snare head, or a mylar head, same snareside head you use on a set.

king_friday

AmnestysLowEnd":ajvqmibz said:
Marching snares do not use metal snares. They are also known as the "guts". As for heads a remo k flam is around $30, thats pretty cheap for a marching head. For the bottom it is acceptable to use a kevlar head, aka Marching snare head, or a mylar head, same snareside head you use on a set.
marching snares do not use metal snares? thats not correct. ive never seen a marching snare that didnt have metal snares, i was in a bagpipe band for 5 years. and as far as a kevlar head as the resonant head, yeah you probably could do that but it would sound like crap.

Rockula!

I had to take the guts off my marching snare and replace it with a regular wire snare because replacement guts are really expensive
This involved completely removing the strainer and replacing it with a "normal" one
BTW
Are you playing it on a normal kit?
How do you inend on getting it low enough to play?
I had to put flooe tom legs on mine

DrumlineXSnare

im not using it for a set but i just wanted to know because when i hit it it doesnt even sound like theres snares on it and i dont know how to fix that. ive never played a marching snare before

Homki890

Marching Snares do not use metal snare wire. The gut on a marching snare gives a much higher tension and sharper attack, resulting in the recognizable pop and crack of a marching snare. They are expensive, but the sound will be sacrificed if not used.

Falam K's are the most god-awful heads. The easily pop when stretched too toghtly, not very sturdy, and have a bad sound. Plus, they have absolutely no give when tightened. Go with either White of Black Maxx heads, or some kind of Kevlar/Mylar/Aramid mix. Aramid Fiber is coming into the eye of drummers, especially the Evans MX Gold heads. On the Gut wire side, it is favorably to put a Falam K head, and crank it. Be careful of it though. Mylar heads will work just as well, but the Falam gives the sharpest attack possible.

Homki890

king_friday

ok, well maybe they don't always use metal snares, but sometimes they defanitly do. every marching snare i have ever seen had metal snares on it. but this was in bagpipe bands, besides school those are really the only marching bands i have been around.

skitch

king_friday":s18qvevt said:
AmnestysLowEnd":s18qvevt said:
marching snares do not use metal snares? thats not correct. ive never seen a marching snare that didnt have metal snares, i was in a bagpipe band for 5 years. and as far as a kevlar head as the resonant head, yeah you probably could do that but it would sound like crap.
The snares you are using are design for pipe band; most marching snares (drum and bugle coprs) use the gut snares.

drummerboy67003

It all depends on what type of sound your looking for. If a you want a contemporary corp-style sound go with Kevlar and crank it way up. (Make sure you keep the tension as even as possible!) A remo K falam would probably be best for price. Just regular remo ambassador snare side is a good starting point for the bottom. As for your unresponsive snares, they might be to tight. Put the drum on a stand and hit the top head very lightly. While you're doing this, loosen the snares very slowly. There should be a point where they start to buzz. Then I like to tighten them back up about a quarter turn or so. Also make sure the snare side head is pretty tight. If you flick it with you're finger you want to hear a fairly highpitched short "ping".

stu

because of the way the snares are designed I do not thing there is a company that makes metal snare wires that slip into that braket

B-RAD52

stu":3l9h8w16 said:
because of the way the snares are designed I do not thing there is a company that makes metal snare wires that slip into that braket
thats what i was thinking

and make sure that your snares are flush with the bottom head.

jnewlon_drum

ive marched snare for 5 years in WDL and marching band.....marching snares use normally nylon snares and theyr normally really thick.....id spend the money and get a remo black max...or white max...those r the best batter heads u can buy and they last alot longer than alot of the other ones....stay away from evens batter heads...they suck!! whatever u get...make sure its a kevlar marching batter head....an for the snare side....id go with a remo weatherking flamm-II its a really thin snare side head thats also kevlar but its a snare side head...or an evans MS3 snare side....or any of the evens MX series snare side heads are great 2.....idk?...id save up an get the good stuff tho....if not the remo Flam-II kevlar marchin heads r cheap an ok...or the remo K-Flam marching series r pretty good 4 the money 2....idk....good luck on ur hunt....

jmanhughes

jnewlon_drum":1sox3a5t said:
ive marched snare for 5 years in WDL and marching band.....marching snares use normally nylon snares and theyr normally really thick.....id spend the money and get a remo black max...or white max...those r the best batter heads u can buy and they last alot longer than alot of the other ones....stay away from evens batter heads...they suck!! whatever u get...make sure its a kevlar marching batter head....an for the snare side....id go with a remo weatherking flamm-II its a really thin snare side head thats also kevlar but its a snare side head...or an evans MS3 snare side....or any of the evens MX series snare side heads are great 2.....idk?...id save up an get the good stuff tho....if not the remo Flam-II kevlar marchin heads r cheap an ok...or the remo K-Flam marching series r pretty good 4 the money 2....idk....good luck on ur hunt....
Yup nylon snares. I agree Remo heads are the way to go for snares in my choice. The white max and black max are the same, just different color. Oh and little pet peeve, those heads are Technora Aramid Fiber, which is like Kevlar, but not Kevlar because Kevlar is a registered trademark.