marching band....

druming=life

at my school, ultimately sucks this year. Get this, i got moved to pit and have to play the marimba instead of marching as center snare, because i was the only one capable of playing mallets, and a little scrawny freshmen is so suppost to be my replacement even though he can hardly hold a stick without looking like a tard, and i'm not over exagerating, we have to teach him measure by measure, and he forgets it by the next day......... on top of that we have a new assistant band director, who is an idiot and can't even give a steady tempo to count us off too, then he trys to tell incoming freshmen to learn the drill when a drum major is trying to show them the proper way to march so its just like "how do you expect them to do the drill, when that can't even march yet", are band size dropped from 70 to 30 and the sound is horrible, i honestly hate high school band......... and now i'm done ranting

Rob the Drummer

Damn man, I'm sorry to hear that! Same shit is happening with the schools around here. I used to be in a great marching band in high school, now it's very small. I taught a drumline and pit for 6 years, after the original director and myself left, that school went downhill and they are even talking about cutting the music program. Another school that I taught for 3 years has been like a roller coaster with the band over the last 6 years. It sucks to see this. Looks like we'll be getting more uneducated drummers out there, they'll just have to send them our way.

druming=life

i'm going to be going to college to get a degree in percussion studies so i can make sure people don't get the same crappy education i did, when i first started playing i was handed a book and some sticks and told to have fun, i knew nothing of technique until i got a private teacher, but probley by the time i get my degree and get to start teaching i might not beable to get a job because schools will be cuting their music programs

iatemygoat

that sucks. i hated drum line so much wne i was in it my freshmen year and quit halfway through winter drum line. ive regretted the decision ever since.

i mean alot has happened for me: multiple band experience, met a lot of poeple in the club and music scenes. but i wish i would have stayed to learn more techniques. i feel im not as good as i could be if i had stayed in drumline.

a drummer in my area named Jeremy(Own Up, filling in for the Body Beneath) is absolutely amazing and i believe it is because he stayed in drumline for 4 years. he actually went on through 4 rounds i think of the guitar center drum off. he got to nationals or got 2nd place before nationals i cant remember. anyway, just watching him makes me wish i would have stayed.

our drumline was amazing too. i dont know if anyone has eard of the Irondale Knights from New Brighton MN but apparently they're pretty well known. i was put on quads my first year because they said i had great "hand technique" something that hadnt been done by a freshmen in like 6 years or some shit. but o well. i have no idea how Irondale is doing but i hope that your schools music program starts to grow. get people you know interested! one of my old friends had never played drums seriously before, started playing with our other friend(who was center snare) and by the next year was marching beside on snare. it was awsome.

druming=life

thats a cool story man, i wish our drumline was better, no one was ever taught correct marching technique. due to the fact that are director is a clarinet and dosen't know much about percussion, its a sad world i live in :cry:

iatemygoat

druming=life":35nsircw said:
thats a cool story man, i wish our drumline was better, no one was ever taught correct marching technique. due to the fact that are director is a clarinet and dosen't know much about percussion, its a sad world i live in :cry:
wooooooooooooooow.

yeah our instructor was an old member of our drumline and was very knowledgable(sp?) he also had two guys (stright from drum corp.'s) from the midwest helping out with different sections. so we had a guy that specialized in bass line, another guy for tenors and the main instructor kind of dealt with everyone and concentrated most with snare until we got another guy that took that over. but the main instructor was like the go-to-guy on everything. i was lucky.

druming=life

sounds like you were lucky, yea most schools hire guys to come in and help with the camps and stuff, but not us, the band director dosen't pay us any attention other then to tell us we played it wrong and that we should play it right next time, ah welp i think i'm the only one that really wants to continue playing after high school, so i'm the only one suffering the actual damage lol

JP

it sux hearing u guys talk about ur stories lol ive been into playing music since i was a babylol im a senior now in HS and the music director was beggin me to play the trumpet and even learn to play the snare on the drumline but my mom didnt let me cuz i got a c in the 8th grade lol but ive been teaching myself how to jam on the kit 4 like 2years now watching vids and covering many slipknot tunes and metallica as well and even adding some jazz to the mix but im out to get a 8piece kit and get hardcore lessons so i can play and even teach when i get older

drumsforlife

Take it from somebody who came from a small highschool band. It's not about what you play. It's about your attitude. Sure the guys in the pit aren't out there marching center snare. But your band needs you on the melodic stuff, in the pit. I know it sucks because you want to play snare. Hell, a lot of percussionists wanted to play snare when I was coming up, but we needed a bunch of sounds, not all snare. So with the distribution of who we had on percussion, we ended up marching two snares, two basses, tenors, and two cymbals. The pit consisted of one. She was responsible for all the pit percussion plus moving it onto the sideline and off of the sideline. You should have seen her music. It was a combination of 5 different scores, all cut and taped together. Anyway, to tell you the honest truth bro, you actually have the edge over everybody else. You're in the pit! You're playing the melodic stuff. You're playing the stuff all the average joes in the crowd can actually recognize instead of marching the snare drum. So I offer encouragement to you my friend. Stick with it. Things will shape up. Now my only question is this. Do you have to come out of the pit and learn all the drill too? Do you have to stand out in the hot sun and sweat and be miserable while trying to learn a halftime show? NO! At least the girl that was in our pit never had to set foot on the practice field during band camp. She stayed inside, in the air conditioned band room and worked on all the music. So I say you have the edge. And it's not about what YOU want to play. It's about stepping up to the plate and doing whatever the band as a whole needs you to do.