Mapex, Tama, Ludwig, Sonor, Premier????

affie

Hey, i'm new to this forum and i need help picking some kits i have in mind.
My first choice would be the Mapex M series (birch) which you get a free 8" or 10" tom, then a Tama Superstar Custom, a Ludwig Accent CS (birch), a Sonor Force 2007 and a Premier XPK which is in maple.
They all look good but i dont know how they sound. I play punk/rock with a bit of hip-hop.
I would appreciate it if you gave me some feedback and/or which kit to get.
Thanks.

Rob Crisp

All the kits there are from respected brands and are likely to be of a decent standard, although i haven't played on any of them first hand.

I've got a Tama and I love it. It's Birch Bubinga shells too, so if you're looking at Birch I can tell you now that you'll be able to get a deep punch from them and some nice warm tones.

Maple tends to be brighter.

If I was you I would actually reccomend going and trying a few as opposed to buying online.

Good luck and take your time. It's got to be the right kit for you! :D

JasonS2C

Rob Crisp":22p4tlsh said:
If I was you I would actually reccomend going and trying a few as opposed to buying online.

Good luck and take your time. It's got to be the right kit for you! :D
Good call. Absolutely.

rufus4dagruv

There are lots of great drums out there. Like others have said, try to locate these drums to you can experience them for yourself. That should help you narrow down your choices a bit more. Once you done that, if you still can't decide, people love to debate drums around here. Toss out your final 2 and see what everyone has to say. Sure, you'll get your fanboys, but you'll get some honest, informative replies, too. Have fun, man. Picking out a new kit is a helluva good time!

affie

wow thanks everyone.
I'm swinging more into the mapex because ive seen a lot of good comments of it on this forum. i went to the one of the only drummers shop in Melbourne and the guy told me that birch have more punch and doesn't ring as much as maple.
is this true? And again is there any cheap online music shops that ship internationally because i cant seem to find any that ship to Australia.
Thanks again.

rufus4dagruv

affie":3bhk96qu said:
wow thanks everyone.
I'm swinging more into the mapex because ive seen a lot of good comments of it on this forum. i went to the one of the only drummers shop in Melbourne and the guy told me that birch have more punch and doesn't ring as much as maple.
is this true? And again is there any cheap online music shops that ship internationally because i cant seem to find any that ship to Australia.
Thanks again.
The guy you talked to at the drum shop is correct. Essentially, maple provides more tone in the midrange than birch, which could be interpreted as ringy, I suppose. I would say that maple is warmer than birch.

Unless the distributer ships from Australia, International shipping charges may make it pretty tough to find a good deal from an online company. Of course, you could always have them ship it to you via slow boat. I'll be cheaper, but it could take quite a while to arrive. Does the drum shop offer a layaway plan? If so, you're never going to go wrong by contributing to your local drum shop. If you take care of them, they'll take care of you in the long run. Good luck.