Mapex M Birch vs Pro M maple?!?!

iatemygoat

ok so ive pretty much narrowed it down to these two kits with these specs

22x20 bass drum
8x8 tom
10x9 tom
12x10 tom
14x14 floor tom

as for a snare i dont really care what they give me. ive got enough and 2 that i REALLY like.

i know birch will sound amazing recorded but im a little iffy about how its going to sound live. also it will save me a lot of money going with just the M. and i dont even know if i can get a Pro M with the dimensions i want. i guess my main concern is the wood. im not sure how well birch is going to sound for metal. but im definately leaning in that direction solely on price. i just dont have 1800 dollars right now.

SuNoAnBuKi

The M Birch series doesn't have a 20x22 bass drum available (at least according to their website) , but the Pro M does as well as the 8x8 tom you're looking for.

dannydrumperc

Birch is sharper sounding. Maple sounds fuller.

As a Pro M owner (fusion size), I can tell you they are great drums - very warm with plenty of volume. Mines are from the previews series (maple/basswood shells). I added later a 16x16 floor tom from the newer ones (100% maple), but I like better the maple/basswood shells. My favorite drum from the whole set is the snare (5.5x14).

The hardware is very good, simple and sturdy. Very basic but functional – excellent!

I’ve done demos and play live with it, and always receive compliments about my drum sound.

IMHO, an 8” tom is not a versatile drum. I highly recommend the “studio” setups (10”, 12”, 14” & 16” toms) because they have better tune-ability, therefore more versatility.

iatemygoat

dannydrumperc":gbsiiyfv said:

As a Pro M owner (fusion size), I can tell you they are great drums - very warm with plenty of volume. Mines are from the previews series (maple/basswood shells). I added later a 16x16 floor tom from the newer ones (100% maple), but I like better the maple/basswood shells. My favorite drum from the whole set is the snare (5.5x14).

The hardware is very good, simple and sturdy. Very basic but functional – excellent!

I’ve done demos and play live with it, and always receive compliments about my drum sound.

IMHO, an 8” tom is not a versatile drum. I highly recommend the “studio” setups (10”, 12”, 14” & 16” toms) because they have better tune-ability, therefore more versatility.
you know, i was a little iffy on the 8" tom. mainly because ive never had a set that had one. maybe i should just stick with the same dimensions i have now. i just really want a fusion kit.

SGarrett

iatemygoat":3ogr4kgp said:
dannydrumperc":3ogr4kgp said:

you know, i was a little iffy on the 8" tom. mainly because ive never had a set that had one. maybe i should just stick with the same dimensions i have now. i just really want a fusion kit.
Oh yeah, dude. An 8" tom is pretty much just a plinker. Unless you're mic'd nobody will every the little bugger.

As far as wood, birch kicks ass in metal situations and is the preferred studio wood. I have a little different way of looking at it though and that's with tom fills. Birch has a shorter decay and sharper attack so super fast tom runs come out sounding a lot more clean. The sustain of maple can really get in the way at times and make super fast runs sound kind of muddy. Granted, muffling will equalize that but I like wide open drums with no muffling.

2slow

I own a mapex orion orbitor kit fusion sizes the same as a pro m 100% thin maple shells they sound very good. I don't know about the birch I have not owned one. I do own a saturn kit 8,10,12,14,16 toms and I love the small toms I play them more than the others. I don't play metal but the high pitch will cut and makes for a wide playing range vs. just lots of bottom. And playing metal I'm sure you mic so go for the wide range !

markmywords

Birch is great for metal as it's natural eq has low levels of mids and mostly low and high frequencies in the natural shells. as far as the pro M I had the rock set up and loved it but didn't need the 18" tom as much as I wanted the 22x20 bass on my gretsch Catalina so I got rid of it. Mapex rocks though and if you get a decent level you'll sound like a bad ass. However if you really wanted the sizes you were looking for you can quickly get it in the pro M series, they hava classic set up with 22x20 bass 13 and 16 inch toms then you can add a couple from the series to get the other sizes you want.

iatemygoat

markmywords":3i4tr7t3 said:
Birch is great for metal as it's natural eq has low levels of mids and mostly low and high frequencies in the natural shells. as far as the pro M I had the rock set up and loved it but didn't need the 18" tom as much as I wanted the 22x20 bass on my gretsch Catalina so I got rid of it. Mapex rocks though and if you get a decent level you'll sound like a bad ass. However if you really wanted the sizes you were looking for you can quickly get it in the pro M series, they hava classic set up with 22x20 bass 13 and 16 inch toms then you can add a couple from the series to get the other sizes you want.
how does ordering a custom set up work? is that a possibility with a company like mapex? i realize it will obviously cost more but i didnt see anything on their website that advertised a "build your own kit" kind of option.

dannydrumperc

SuNoAnBuKi":1fu2ilyy said:
You can order a custom kit through massmusic.net .. here's the link(s) :

For the Pro M - http://www.massmusic.net/shop/?shop=1&c ... 4&cat=250&

For the M Birch - http://www.massmusic.net/shop/?shop=1&c ... 4&cat=250&
Great customer service. I ordered my 16x16 with them. It took a couple of weeks because the "special order" - it depends of their distributor's inventory. But they have almost every Mapex configuration available (complete sets ships faster).

drummerboy72

I own a Gretsch Catalina Birch set. I've gotten lots of compliments on my sound especially when playing metal. The Birch sound is focused and clean with enough low end to kick a**. I'm now restoring a vintage maple Pearl set. I'll get with you when I put it together in the next two weeks and let you know how it sounds.

rufus4dagruv

dannydrumperc":11ljyn9y said:
SuNoAnBuKi":11ljyn9y said:
You can order a custom kit through massmusic.net .. here's the link(s) :

For the Pro M - http://www.massmusic.net/shop/?shop=1&c ... 4&cat=250&

For the M Birch - http://www.massmusic.net/shop/?shop=1&c ... 4&cat=250&
Great customer service. I ordered my 16x16 with them. It took a couple of weeks because the "special order" - it depends of their distributor's inventory. But they have almost every Mapex configuration available (complete sets ships faster).
I've used massmusic a few times and have been nothing but completely satisfied with their service. In regards to Mapex, they give them a lot of attention on their site, so I imagine that their relationship with Mapex is a good one. They often times have a same time instant message chat available so you can talk to someone directly without calling them if you don't want. I work on the phones all day, so if I don't have to call someone, I won't...hahaha!

GnarL

If your going to play metal i recomend a birch kit or an oak kit with 10, 12, 14 ,16 ,18 toms and a 22x20 bass so that youve got some nice deep sounding drums.
I played an oak kit basically untill it died and it sounded great, and i regret selling it but to be honest its mainly about heads and tuning...

DrumFiend0206

I know this site is run by one of the members here on DML, but I'm not quite sure exactly who...lol.

And the prices seem to be running about $10 cheaper. It's not a lot, but it's something haha.

iatemygoat

DrumFiend0206":2oqnwlhn said:
I know this site is run by one of the members here on DML, but I'm not quite sure exactly who...lol.

And the prices seem to be running about $10 cheaper. It's not a lot, but it's something haha.
what?

TomTFD

iatemygoat":2flnma3k said:
ok so ive pretty much narrowed it down to these two kits with these specs

22x20 bass drum
8x8 tom
10x9 tom
12x10 tom
14x14 floor tom

as for a snare i dont really care what they give me. ive got enough and 2 that i REALLY like.

i know birch will sound amazing recorded but im a little iffy about how its going to sound live. also it will save me a lot of money going with just the M. and i dont even know if i can get a Pro M with the dimensions i want. i guess my main concern is the wood. im not sure how well birch is going to sound for metal. but im definately leaning in that direction solely on price. i just dont have 1800 dollars right now.
I've got a Birch myself, i havn't recorded with it as of yet but i HAVE played with it live and it sounded mint! :D
So no complaints as of yet about it hehe

Groove

DrumFiend0206":34vyatdd said:
iatemygoat":34vyatdd said:
DrumFiend0206":34vyatdd said:

what?
Hahaha, I'm retarded. I guess I forgot to push paste. Bleh. Too much studying today...

Here ya go.

http://www.justdrumsonline.com/store/c- ... drums.aspx
COOL! Thanks for mentioning US!! We're the underdogs.

As far as Mapex goes, I have nothing but good things to say about them. I order stuff for people all over the USA and rarely does it take more than just a FEW business days to the get the customer their gear. Between the M-Birch and Pro-M series, I'd have to recommend the Pro-Ms personally.

xdoseonex

the M series is maple over basswood. so its not gonna make you as happy as the m birch or the m series. Then again i'm selling my 6 piece m series for $350. i think birch is better for recording while maple is better for live shows. I think i'd probly go with the M birch over anything. I have 2 maple kits and i'm dying for a birch set. I have a gretsch renown maple in 8" 10" 12" 14" and with good tuning they sound huge. the 8" tom cuts through the music every bit as well as the rest of the toms and really rounds out the high end. but a 14" flor tom isnt gonna give you quite as much thunder as a 16" But if you tune it well It will growl just fine

jazzkat

i have a pro m in the "studio" sized setup.
it has serves well for everything so far.
as for articulation between drums, these things have so much attack that fast passages come out clean. no prob.