Mapex Black Panther Piccolo

pyrokatana

So I'm getting a Mapex Black Panther Piccolo (or their 3.5" version of the Black Panther... I consider it a Piccolo. whatever) and I want to know some opinions on it.

Does it have good pop?
Is it pretty durable?
Head recommendations?
Tuning recommendations?

It's has a flat black finish and Its gonna go on my Mapex Pro-M Maple set.
ohhhyyyeeeaaahhhhbaby.
mmhmm haha

thanks for the imput.
~pyro

alexforwood

If your talking about the 13x3.5 version dont buy one. I have one and I love it dont get me wrong but theres this lil screw that comes loose in the throw off and because they have discontinued the series its basically impossible to fix (I just spent the afternoon in my local drum store me me and the guy on the counter grappling with it)

quikstang2

I'm assuming it's the maple one? Or is it steel?
I've got a bronze one and it's amazing. I get tons of compliments on it every time I use it live.

If your having a problem with a screw, put some thread locker on it or glue or whatever. I've got a few Black Panthers and they're the only snares that hold up for me. They haven't discontinued the Black Panther line, but they may not make your exact size and finish any more. That has nothing to do with the throw off or but side since they use those on all the BP snares. Sounds like yours is defective. Have your dealer call up Mapex, I'm sure they'll help you out. They're known for that.

pyrokatana

quikstang2":1im0aebc said:
I'm assuming it's the maple one? Or is it steel?
I've got a bronze one and it's amazing. I get tons of compliments on it every time I use it live.
I'm not so sure although I think its the steel one. Its got a flat black finish and its reaally poppy.

any recommendation on tuning?