Making Your own Drums

Marki

I really want to make my own drums. I have a good kit right now, so I'm in no hurry and want to take my time and do it right. I think in the long run, it will be very rewarding. Anyways, does anyone know of any reputable, high-quality sources for shells and hardware? I'm aware of drummaker.com. How are they? Others?

Thanks.

loop

I'm shure you know Keller shells, but IMO they're the best pre-made shells available. I think you should go for them.

Mr. Pants

Here are a few links to drum resources. Although there are different drum shells you can get they are a little harder to track down. You can get birch, or mahogany as well...do a google search to help you find these.

Here are some links...I think American Music Drum Parts is the best route to go with...the only annoying thing is you have to buy the screws for the lugs seperately...it doesn't cost anymore than people who sell them together, but it is a little annoyance!

Here are some links:

http://www.precisiondrum.com

http://www.amdrumparts.com <--best price and best selection of lugs.

http://ghostnote.net/joomla/index.php?o ... &Itemid=23 <--another good one

Good luck...

Here is me, jammin' on my custom set!

(That is a Pearl Free-Floating snare for all you sticklers out there.) :)

Timekeep69

If you want maple or birch shells, Keller is the only way to go. Precision, drummaker and all the rest who sell shells, sell Keller. You have a few other options with acrylic and stave.

Mr. Pants

Timekeep69":24sm8u7o said:
If you want maple or birch shells, Keller is the only way to go. Precision, drummaker and all the rest who sell shells, sell Keller.
Oh yeah, that's what I forgot to say!! Good eye Timekeep69.

Capeside Alex

after looking at one of those sites posted, im actually strongly considering making my own snare, and then going from there. never knew it was that cheap to get'er done.

Timekeep69

Don't base the price just off shell the price. The hardware (lugs and strainer) are the expensive part. Not to mention you have to either cut the bearing edges or have them cut for you and then drill for the lugs. It adds up quickly.

Capeside Alex

i already took all that into consideration and looked at all the pricing for all the other stuff, but for me to go out and spend crazy money on a snare, or be proud that you made your own...which would you choose?........

Timekeep69

Capeside Alex":y81sve15 said:
i already took all that into consideration and looked at all the pricing for all the other stuff, but for me to go out and spend crazy money on a snare, or be proud that you made your own...which would you choose?........
I totally understand what you're saying. I'm not trying to deter you from building your own snare. I've seen alot of people start a drum project only to abandon it later because they didn't realize costs or the precision required of drum building.

Good luck, if you have any questions, I do this for a living, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Make sure to post pics when you're done!

Mr. Pants

Capeside Alex":353sw78z said:
Build your own...it's a great conversation piece!

If you can't cut a bearing edge or don't have a good router table to do it yourself, and if you don't know how to cut a snare bed...

BY ALL MEANS...pay the extra money and have it done professionally.

I have seen edge work from all the larger companies.

SMD is by far the best.

The trick is the secondary cut after the shell edge perimeter has been flattened on the flattening table. Most every one else doesn't bother to do that for you.

I know they are relocating right now and tooling up for some big new things but they are on the way back and will be in full swing by fall. They are building a new shopping cart web site with all the drum parts and shell options too.

I saw the test site the other day. It's looking sweet.

I totally understand what you're mean when you say that building your own kit would be rewarding... I was playing a Vistalite Ludwig Acrylic kit for years and just converted to a Maple kit that I built, and it's been amazing. The tone of my new kit is incredible, great sustain and the kicks sound like cannons!!

I was able to buy everything from www.amdrumparts.com, they are a great company who prides themselves on making sure you get everything you need. Here's a pic of the drums I just built, unless I get an endorsement, I won't switch to any manufactured set period. I definately got what I paid for with these and saved about 3-4 grand, it was definately a rewarding experience..