major techniques to work on

Trent

im about 7 minutes new to this site and it seems cool..

ive been playing for about four years now and ive had just a couple classes to get the basics down. and im an ok player. what would you guys recomend i should work on? or more so focus on to bring me to new higher levels?

Dale

Trent":kze8p7ii said:
im about 7 minutes new to this site and it seems cool..

ive been playing for about four years now and ive had just a couple classes to get the basics down. and im an ok player. what would you guys recomend i should work on? or more so focus on to bring me to new higher levels?
Perhaps you could tell us what you have done. We don't know what you need.

My short answer would be to work on your tempos and groove.

PaulZILLA

well i highly recomend the Derek Roddy videos. and definately recomend the Dave Weckl videos. they can help you go from amature to. wow wtf was that. haha. thats my major tool to learning and progressing. they teach you exercises that you can continue well beyond the video and advance on your own.

amontholdDrums

I recommend going to www.drummerworld.com and watching as many videos as you can.. thats pretty much what i did and damn. its inspiring and you can see what the greats did and you can try and mimic that.. after a while.. youll be able to morph it in to your style.

I recommend learning some drumline excersizes.. you could probably google "drumline excersizes" and come up with some stuff.. start with the basics.. if you cant read music.. i recommend you learn.

Quick techniques thatll help you out: Moeller stroke, heel-toe hihat technique to keep time, and then the basic strokes like a full stroke and a tap.. helps with your dynamics... practice with a met going quarter notes to eighth notes to triplets to sixteenth and if you want to push it throw in sixlets and do it backwards with out a stop.. thats fun.. but yeah researching those should keep you busy for a while.. and it really helps on the set when you start trying to play it there...

DreamT

About the Dave Weckyl comment. While I agree that watching that stuff can make you a better drummer new drummers should watch out that they don't try to walk before they crawl. Learning too advanced rhythms and fills before learning proper technique can make a decent drummer into a very sloppy one in my opinion.

Calbanese

I found that the Derrick Pope videos are giving me LOADS of things to practice and work on.. I would suggest them for some OC, Moeller, bass drum, and other types of cool little doo-dads to learn.

huijibo

Hey man,
im sort of at the same stage as you but been playing a bit longer
and the thing i found most handy to get down is sticking.
Doing grooves is all good but to advance further sticking is essential.
Try to play any rudiments you know so you can get to a point where
you dont even have to think about it.

e.g paradiddles para-didle-diddles, flams, ruffs etc.

Hope this helps.
:wink:

David Stanoch

Good for you! You ask a very important and open ended question.
Today there are so many resourses available to help you learn your craft. Remember to think of music overall and not just the drumming.

Whatever instrument you play you need to be highly aware of the three elements of music: rhythm, melody and harmony. They all greatly inform your playing and the more you know about ALL THREE, the better musician you'll be.

Song form and harmonic cadence pave a path for rhythm. A rhythm can become a melody...it is all interchangable. As drummers we have to remember that the more we know about the melody & harmony, the more attractive we are to our fellow bandmates. Just like if your fellow bandmates time sucks you're going to be completely frustrated, so keep that in mind--it's not all about the chops.

That being said, a strong foundation is of course important.
Feel free to take a look at my free online lessons at:
http://www.rhythmelodic.com/david_lessons.html

They are mostly conceptual in nature and deal with providing a strong overall foundation in a way I think many drum books and videos either miss or move past too fast. I do know they've helped many a student of mine over the past several years build a strong foundation and help them achieve their goals.

Good luck to you.