Major set up changes after years of playing

okjohne

Hey everyone. I have had 4,5,6,7,8 piece set ups in my years playin but, I standardized my core set up about 20 years ago. I mean how my body relates to the snare bass and HH in that order. I added the double pedal here and there may be 17 years ago but never got serious about it so , never put a lot of thought into it's placement. About a year ago I got serious about the DB. Always have it set up and give it time every time I play. That put the first wrinkle. Then I went to a rack set up hoping (worked) to achieve more exact set ups on multiple kits. Wrinkle #2. Together they really messed w/my core set up. I been movin crap around for a year. Inch at a time. The biggest issues are the relation ship of the snare to the HH and the snare to the pedals. When the pedal feel right the HH is too far or too crossed w/the snare. when the s/hh are working the legs are banging into everything or out of good form.

Today (after trying this before for an evening) I moved the slave outside the HH and brought that HH back to the core position. I'm gonna give this the college try. My hands love it but my feet are confused. Just sayin man you can evolve forever.

kplante069

I agree completely! When my entire kit is set up I have a 9 pc with 2 kicks. I haven't had all 9 drums together in about 15 years. I decided a long time ago I was much more comfortable with 1 kick drum. I usually go between a 4 and 6 piece. It's nice to have the option to set up what I want. The only problem is I really want a new kit so I have been trying to decide what I really want for a keeper.

okjohne

New kit huh. Cool. How many inches is the tip of your hats from the rim of your snare and do you have to cross over very much to the snare? I had been playing my hats like 5-6 inches away when I had that double pedal inside the hats. Now with the slave outside I have the hats right on top the snare and kinda in front. Makes the faster HH stuff alot easier. Down side is it makes it hard to mount a third rack tom without being way to the right with it.

scottydont

okjohne":3s05r70e said:
New kit huh. Cool. How many inches is the tip of your hats from the rim of your snare and do you have to cross over very much to the snare? I had been playing my hats like 5-6 inches away when I had that double pedal inside the hats. Now with the slave outside I have the hats right on top the snare and kinda in front. Makes the faster HH stuff alot easier. Down side is it makes it hard to mount a third rack tom without being way to the right with it.
Thats exactly how i set mine up after years of playing with the slave on the inside. I find it so much easier for hh work. My feet were very confused for a while though. Especially because mine goes hihat-slave-remote hihat. Id be banging out a beat and then go to do some double bass and id start doing it on the remote hihat. Once i rewired my brain it worked out great.

Drumosaurus

I'm cursed with an unrotational three-legged hihat stand so my hihats are about a foot and a half from the center of my snare. Tho I do fill that gap with an unsnared snare and an lp cowbell.

Eliminator

I'm cursed with an unrotational three-legged hihat stand so my hihats are about a foot and a half from the center of my snare. Tho I do fill that gap with an unsnared snare and an lp cowbell.
I have this problem when im using someone elses unrotational hihats, you can have the HH pedal beside the dp if you have one of the legs sitting over it, limits your left foot movement but depends which way you play!

I like to have my hihat close to my snare also, so I have the two pedals on my iron cobra as close together as possible without my knees hitting my snare.

okjohne

scottydont":1f1fpfl4 said:
okjohne":1f1fpfl4 said:
Thats exactly how i set mine up after years of playing with the slave on the inside. I find it so much easier for hh work. My feet were very confused for a while though. Especially because mine goes hihat-slave-remote hihat. Id be banging out a beat and then go to do some double bass and id start doing it on the remote hihat. Once i rewired my brain it worked out great.
Yeah I'm gonna try and stick with it. Today I'll be playing some closed HH patern and then want to open it for an accent and boom there goes my slave banging the kick drum. But man is playing a shuffle or one handed 16ths on the HH way easier.