LUDWIG SUPRAPHONIC APPRECIATION THREAD

Alan_

My '63 5" Supraphonic is still my favorite snare. has body and bite. beautiful sounding drum all 'round.

Alan_

oops. apologies!! I just realized there's already a thread for the supraphonic. o'well, I still love my drum more than any other I've ever played or owned...

xdoseonex

My main snare on my gretsch is a ludalloy supraphonic with a black kevlar head. it was handed down to me from my dad. i'm gona get some diecast hoops for it, and i plan to hand it down to my son. Its my favorite snare drum by far (tho i do love my jazz festival)

rufus4dagruv

drumur":1xcvu5zz said:
I'm pretty sure that the acrolite is aluminum.
The Supra is also made from aluminum, but they also make the chrome over brass and black beauty (nickle plated brass) models. What generally designates the model a Supra is the 10 lug configuration and the use of the P-85, p-83, or p-86 strainer systems.

The Super Sensitive models feature the p-70 strainers.

Zendrummer knows alot about the history of Ludwig snares. I imagine Ploughman could also contribute some knowledge on the subject as well.

Alan_

as far as I know, the supraphonic shell was always made of steel or brass. the acrolite had the aluminum shell. never heard of a chrome-plated aluminum shell on a supraphonic.

Alan_

I'm reading an article on them right now. I don't know SH*T, lol. No such animal as steel supraphonics. Oops! Apparently mine is from the early 70's, I always assumed because of the brass shell it was an older one that had been "modded" with the newer muffler and badge, but it matches the article's description of the early 70's ones to a "t" including having "BR" by the muffler and the weird cut-down badge...

ratfinkdrummer

To the best of my knowledge, Ludwig Supra's were made of chrome plated brass until sometime in 1962. After brass became too expensive, Ludwig switched to an aluminum shell, the same shell as the Acrolite. You can often spot an aluminum Supra because the chrome is usually pitting as it didn't adhere to the shell very well. Most of the early to mid 60's shells are this way. I have always heard that Ludwig changed the alloy at some point in the later 60s, which is why the later drums have superior chrome plating, and that the new ones now are steel. I can definitely tell the difference in sound between the 4 Keystone and one {early 70s} Blue/Olive drums I own from the newer ones. Of course with Ludwig there are always shells and parts that don't match their dates/badges due to employees just randomly grabbing parts out of bins. For example, my '66 5x14 Supra came with brass hoops, and my '72 6 1/2 x 14 has some of the worst pitting I've ever seen on a Supra {but, boy, does it sound just like "Livin', Lovin' Maid"}. Anyway, that's my two cents worth.

Led

I've been drumming since my childhood on my father's 6,5/14 ludwig supersensitive metal snare and it is so versatile powerful and subtile. Now I got myself this Ludwig supra-phonic 6,5/14 black beauty brass on brass, Its a black metalic mirror shell with all the rest in mirror gold with vintage badge a real BEAUTY and MONSTER sound, best of both worlds nothing beats ludwig snares.

Led