ludwig super sensitive

mikebodrums

I recently just bought me a 1970's ludwig super sensitive 14 x 5 and have to say it is the best snare drum i have ever played. I think next i will be buying the 14 x 6.5. I wanted to see what head combos everyone uses on these drums and the kinda of tone they get from it...

mattkinel

Hey, I just got a 70's super sensitive too. You need to be VERY careful when buying used ones, there were some years, I think 72-74 when some of the snare wires were differnt on the SS's and the drum would not tune up right because the snare bed needed to be cut differnt.

ALL super sensitives need a specific Ludwig bottom head to accomodate the extra long snare wires. I forget what the serial number of the head was, I have mine on order. I just bought the snare drum 2 weeks ago and I love it too!

If your going to get a 6.5 I would suggest getting a new one because the old 6.5's were kinda funky. I love my vintage drums, and I want a 6.5 too, but there were so many problems with that extra depth and with the snare beds that ive been scared into getting a new one.

And that dosent just come from my mouth, thats from Greg at Jacks Drum Shop, he is THE drum expert on vintage ludwigs, Jacks is the oldest operating drum store in the US! If your in the boston area check it out. I only shop there and they have been so good to me. If im ever short on cash I borrow money from the guys working there, and they are so great with custom orders through Ludwig Remo and Paiste (the only brands I play). I cant say enough about Jacks.

nathanplaydrum

mattkinel":1cz5q7o9 said:
Hey, I just got a 70's super sensitive too. You need to be VERY careful when buying used ones, there were some years, I think 72-74 when some of the snare wires were differnt on the SS's and the drum would not tune up right because the snare bed needed to be cut differnt.

ALL super sensitives need a specific Ludwig bottom head to accomodate the extra long snare wires. I forget what the serial number of the head was, I have mine on order. I just bought the snare drum 2 weeks ago and I love it too!

If your going to get a 6.5 I would suggest getting a new one because the old 6.5's were kinda funky. I love my vintage drums, and I want a 6.5 too, but there were so many problems with that extra depth and with the snare beds that ive been scared into getting a new one.

And that dosent just come from my mouth, thats from Greg at Jacks Drum Shop, he is THE drum expert on vintage ludwigs, Jacks is the oldest operating drum store in the US! If your in the boston area check it out. I only shop there and they have been so good to me. If im ever short on cash I borrow money from the guys working there, and they are so great with custom orders through Ludwig Remo and Paiste (the only brands I play). I cant say enough about Jacks.
Is it a vintage store? If you wanna send me the adress its nathanbduncan@yahoo.com

stefan.runstrom

Just purchased this year's black beauty (6.5 x 14, hand hammered, super sensitive snares). It lives up to its reputation every bit.. just recorded a demo with it.. sounds superb. Using either an Evans ST, or Emperor X have thus far produced the best sound...