Ludwig Speedkings

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

I was listening to 'Since I've Been Loving You' by Zep the other day and I noticed that distinct squeak from his pedal. Very noticeable. That same exact squeak gave me an instant flashback to my early days when I had 2 speedkings. I knew right off the bat, just from that squeak, that's what he was using..i went online to double check..and yep ..that's what he used. i never knew what he used before that strange discovery. One little squeak brought me back so many years. And it made perfect sense because those pedals were so damn fast and it definitely shows in Bonhams playing obviously.

Has anyone here owned a speedking and know what i'm talking about?

Does anyone use speedkings anymore?

Just curious.. never really hear about them anymore.

pow3rtr1p

OK, I've never used speedkings, but isn't it just a tad sad that you can hear the pedals squeak on the recording? You would think, even back then, they could have done something to keep the pedal itself from getting picked up by the mic...

BillRayDrums

SHOGUNWARRIOR32":3mz36vyv said:
I was listening to 'Since I've Been Loving You' by Zep the other day and I noticed that distinct squeak from his pedal. Very noticeable. That same exact squeak gave me an instant flashback to my early days when I had 2 speedkings. I knew right off the bat, just from that squeak, that's what he was using..i went online to double check..and yep ..that's what he used. i never knew what he used before that strange discovery. One little squeak brought me back so many years. And it made perfect sense because those pedals were so damn fast and it definitely shows in Bonhams playing obviously.

Has anyone here owned a speedking and know what i'm talking about?

Does anyone use speedkings anymore?

Just curious.. never really hear about them anymore.
The old Spud King Squeak!! I loved Spud kings. I learned on a Spud King. Nico McBrain was famous for his predisposition towards the SK. Seriously, I learned to play fast doubles on that dinosaur. If you can play them on that, you can play them on anything.

If the young drummers today literally had to learn on that and nothing else, there'd be a lot less complaining about foot speed. Once you get onto a DW from the SK, you can FLY.

Airborne Ranger

I use a Speed King now and I love it. I've owned a DW 9000 double pedal but sold it in favor of the Speed King. It's the first pedal I started with in the late 70's and will continue to use it. I just bought a brand new Speed King to replace my 30 year old one and the famous sqeek is gone. The squeek came from the hinges used. Ludwig replaced all the problem areas with silent nylon bushings but essentially it has been the same pedal for over 60 years. Keep your $800+ Trick or Axis pedals, I bought my Speed King for $95 new. It's still made in the Ludwig plant in NC. The squeek added character and it never seemed to bother Bonham, Baker, Starr, Rich or countless others who've used that pedal.

break the prism

I have three different pedals. a pearl eliminator, tama powerglide, and a ludwig speedking. i love the speedking. it's vintage as well, from about '76. it actually squeaks less than my powerglide. i use it way more than my other two pedals.

zen_drummer

The Speed King is one of the fastest pedals EVER designed. The compression spring and cam follower design can't be beat. I learned on Speed Kings and until I got my Trick Pro !V pedal I was never happy with another modern pedal.

But MAN those Squeak Kings were noisy!

Tgaff08

you can also hear the "bonham squeek" on The Ocean and probably many Zeppelin songs. before my friend pointed it out to me in "since i've been loving you" i never heared it, now i hear it all the time. i think its really neat and says something about Zep's character

break the prism

i agree. i think it gave them a more under-produced sound, which i my opinion shows a lot of character.

i personally can't stand a squeaky pedal when i'm playing, so i oil mine up pretty well.