Ludwig Speed King

EyeJuan2Rock

Whaddup everybody? Newbie here, so just understand I'm going to be asking a lot of stupid questions like the one following. I've been playing off & on for many years, made a meager living at it in my 20s, but pretty much a hobbyist for the most part since then, so half the stuff you guys are talking about I'm going "huh"? ...

Anyway, I grew up using Speed King pedals (yeah, I know, also commonly referred to as the "Squeak King") I used to collect them and rebuild them so I'd have at least 2 good working pedals when I was gigging. Sold the last one w/a kit about 10 years ago, and I gotta say I miss it a lot.

Since then, I've only had 2 pedals, an Iron Cobra which I liked a lot, but still didn't feel as good to me as the Speed King no matter how much I tweaked it. And the last one I bought is a DW 7000, which is also OK, but I really don't like it as much as the Cobra or the King.

Any other former Speed King players that could point me toward something they believe to be pretty close in feel and adjustability? I'd prefer not to spend an arm and a leg either, as I need all of them to actually play. I know... I know... Rick Allen overcame all that... let's not go there...

drummert2k

the speed king was and still is a great pedal. the main reason you're not liking the iron cobra's (which are my personal pedal of choice) is because its chain drive (a chain connects the cam to the pedal) and you're used to the direct drive (one solid strip of metal connects the foot board) of the speed king. i'd recommend playing some direct drive pedals and seeing if they do the trick for you.

josdrummer08

drummert2k":h0a5mkr0 said:
the speed king was and still is a great pedal. the main reason you're not liking the iron cobra's (which are my personal pedal of choice) is because its chain drive (a chain connects the cam to the pedal) and you're used to the direct drive (one solid strip of metal connects the foot board) of the speed king. i'd recommend playing some direct drive pedals and seeing if they do the trick for you.
yup