Ludwig Black Beauty

TwistedPunk575

Ever herd of it? It's rated as the best metal snare drum ever made. Iam the very proud owner of one of these bad boys and I gotta say, for me it lives up to its reputation. Ive played many snares and this one is by far the best I've ever played. Granted it wasent cheep but it was worth every penny :D If anyone else has ever played this snare your feedback and views of it would be much appreciated :)

anavrinIV

ive never had the opportunity to play a black beauty but ive played a pork pie big black brass snare and a yamaha manu katche signature brass snare and loved them both.

Scott_Hurford

the black beauty is the exact snare drum i'm looking into buying :D
can u tell me some more about it please?
how much was it? what size snare did u buy? etc...
thanx

TwistedPunk575

damn youve got good taste in snares lol.
they come in 3 sizes, 3"X13", 5"X14", and 6 1/2"X 14", i got the 6 1/2 because i wanted more presence , more volume, ect. but you chose the size that best suites you. The shell is a siold, seemless piece of black anodized brass, and they eather come with tube lugs or impereal lugs. which ever one there boath good, and well it makes it look damn good haha. The throw off (P-85 i believe) make it extreamly senstive, its just a great drum all round. Now, I live in Canada, and i got mine for...$950.00. yeh..not cheep but trust me its worth it. thats about it man. if you have the means i could strongly recomend picking one up.

loop

Black Beauty is the snare I'm dreaming about every day :) I will once have it in 14x5.5. Do you have yours with diecasts or triple-flanged hoops?

Dale

I've used a few Black Beauties over the years and have always loved them. Even the new ones aren't bad.

Scott_Hurford

thts sound awsome i muuuust say. and it just so happens, the 6 1/2" x 14" was the one i want to get :D
thanx for the news on this snare *runs to rowlands music*

Steve@NDC

Matter of fact, I've got one for sale. It's an extremely rare 1920's vintage with the "ocean wave" scroll engraving and Artgold plating. 4x14. Pictures posted soon.

Cheapskate

I had a black beauty 6.5 x 14. with tube lugs..it was beautiful and when tuned right it was sooo loud, but It was very metallic sounding, and I ended up letting it go and replacing it with a pearl ultra cast in the same size, and Ive never regretted it.. the pearl has equal volume, but is much warmer sounding...

both are great snares, I would recomend checking out the ultra cast,
its a similar price and gets the same volume...
also I was able to get a good deal on the Beauty by going into a shop and asking if they'd match prices, they said sure, so I went in the next day with a musicians friend catalog and got all the same prices, but from a reputable shop in LA where customedr service was more available

Dale

Steve@NDC":zd40tdz3 said:
Matter of fact, I've got one for sale. It's an extremely rare 1920's vintage with the "ocean wave" scroll engraving and Artgold plating. 4x14. Pictures posted soon.
How much?

kenzisdad02

ive got a '79 black beauty 61/2"x14"
& a '79 ludwig coliseum snare
ive tried other snares & they just dont have that sound ! Im a ludwig snare lifer !

mouse

I've ordered one of these, but was told there's now a manufacturing delay, so I may have to wait anything up to six months!!!

Currently it'll be 3 months on Jan 22nd... :|

Sarah x

phoenix7289

Damn, this sounds SPECIALLLLLLL!!!!
:O
But have it take on the Tama Praetorian Warlord Snare!!! :p
Now that is expensive!!! $1,700!!! For a damn snare?! Wow.

tubthumped

I've got a 1973 14x6.5" Black Beauty Block Lug...

I paid next to nothing for it from someone who didn't know what they had.