Lower end zildjian

drumshark

I always hear talk about zildjian A's and k's but i never hear anything about the lower end cymbals like the ZBT's which i think are some of zildjians best cymbals, does anyone else feel this way?

truemusician

deffinetly. zbt's are actually one of the best sounding cymbals zildjian has to offer. ther're bright, cutting, and just perfect for all kinds of music. the only downside is the durability. i go through those things like toilet paper. i have a zbt ride, hi hats, and china, and i love those, but the crashes crack super easy, which sucks cause i love the sound so damn much. i have a bunch of zxt's and i like those alot too. especially the flash splashes. the rock crashes arent to bad but not good for anything else except rock and metal. i actually kinda dislike the sound of k's cause they're too dark and blendy sometimes, i kinda want my cymbals to cut through the mix, so you can tell its a cymbal. just got to put this in here, if you ever buy chinas, get wuhans. they blow the shit out of every other china no competition. the 16 is beautiful in my opinion. ROCK ON>

meinlplayer

Personally, I would play just about anything over zbts (or Sabian B8s for that matter). They aren't solid enough for my taste, they feel like they are toys made for children. With cymbals, you generally get what you pay for (though some cheap stuff sounds pretty good on rare occasion... wuhan for example). Overall, I find zbt's sound to be too weak and their sound makes me cringe--literally.

BUT, if you are happy with the sound of them, then more power to you... I wish I could get cymbals I thought were fantastic for that cheap.

break the prism

there's nothing wrong with the sound. it's just a matter of how long you can keep them in one piece. even as a light hitter i had trouble.

lifehabit

Look at it this way..It's a cymbal. I played ZBT's for a while, but stepped up to A's and A Customs when I got the money and felt I was good enough to buy em. I liked my 16" ZBT Crash alot. I would still have it, but it wasnt as thick as my other ones, therefor, it wasnt loud enough to blend. It sounded like a big splash. And that could very well have been how I played it i guess..hmm..dunno. Anyways, play what you like, but don't ever knock on something that you don't like. Share your opinoin, but don't make the one who posted the topic feel like a bag of poop. lol. I do like the bigger Wuhan Chinas..for as easy as they break, they are worth it. who cares if they break, they already sound, 'trashy'.
have a nice day!

PatternsInTheIvy

I dont nkow ow you guys manage to break cymbals so much, but I have never broken any cymbal I have ever used...Although I do agree, ZBT's are just plain sheet metal and are no good.

MasterShake89

truemusician":jf7ickvk said:
deffinetly. zbt's are actually one of the best sounding cymbals zildjian has to offer. ther're bright, cutting, and just perfect for all kinds of music. the only downside is the durability. i go through those things like toilet paper. i have a zbt ride, hi hats, and china, and i love those, but the crashes crack super easy, which sucks cause i love the sound so damn much. i have a bunch of zxt's and i like those alot too. especially the flash splashes. the rock crashes arent to bad but not good for anything else except rock and metal. i actually kinda dislike the sound of k's cause they're too dark and blendy sometimes, i kinda want my cymbals to cut through the mix, so you can tell its a cymbal. just got to put this in here, if you ever buy chinas, get wuhans. they blow the shit out of every other china no competition. the 16 is beautiful in my opinion. ROCK ON>
i couldn't disagree with you more. The zbt line doesn't sound too great. they have a dull sound and are nothing compared to the higher end zildjian. I know this because I've played them for about 7 years. they are NOT fragile like this guy says, and if he "goes thru them like toilet paper" he really needs to stop playing his drums with baseball bats. What the zbts do do right is a decent sound, good quality, and the zildjian name all for a really affordable price. I would reccomend them to any beginner, or someone on a budget.

Finalhour

I had, and still have (although some are gone) ZBT's. I use a ZBT hi-hat, splash and occaisionally the ride. I beat the $#!t out of these things and only the crash has failed me. I hit damn hard, bent in the crash, but the hi hats still survive, and the splash cuts magnificently. I agree on the wuhans, if you can get 1 get it, I have a 12 inch I got for 12 bucks and it cuts awesomely, sounds great both live and recorded

Groove

I have ZBTs and ZHTs in stock...and to me...the ZHTs sound MUCH better.

Just my opinion of course.

80'smetaljoe

yo drumshark i have the zbt set...i agree there alright but the crash cracked in 2 spots so im switching to sabian n the one cymbal i have i like alot...

andybfrank

All I know is that the ZBTs are a huge improvement over the old Scimitars, which were some of my first cymbals. I also had some Sabian B8's when I was starting out, which would break very easily. It seems like the B8's have improved a lot over the last 10 years (Can anyone confirm this?), and I like them better than the ZBTs. I played some B8's recently and they actually have a little character to them, like Paistes, but a little brighter (That's because the alloy is very similar). The ZBTs just sound dull and cheap compared to the A's, A Customs, and Z Customs I've used. The sound is really hard to explain, but if you play one next to a professional line cymbal, the difference is usually obvious. Its like the ZBT's don't have a very big capacity for volume before they distort and sound trashy.

STAK

I don't care for the sound of the lower end lines for Zildjian or Sabian........to me they sound extremely unrefined and i automatically think "novice" when i hear someone using them...........and personally, i've found the higher end Sabians to be more durable than anything Zildjian has put out that i've used(for some reason i tear even the most expensive Zildjians to pieces)..........

As far as cheap cymbals go, i bought some Stagg(british company) cymbals at around 70-100 dollars each that i just adore.........especially the 16inch hand hammered crash.......a little on the trashy sounding side, but a very nice addition to my set for the 70 dollar price tag.........

infiznitch

MasterShake89":31odcvkp said:
btw, i can play pretty hard when i get into it, and in 7 and a half years, i have yet to break a single cymbal.
it actually has less to do with playing hard and more to do with how long you've been playing the cymbal. The ZBT line is not durable at all, and with those cheap cymbal lines, often the cymbal is lathed unevenly so one point on the cymbal is heavier than the rest. That means that when you're smacking your cymbal, gravity is pulling the heaviest part towards you. After smacking that ONE spot over and over and over, eventually... it breaks. Trust me, while i have gone from heavy hitting to lighter cymbals hits... i still broke all the cheapo zbts i bought over the past couple years.

for all you guys who think the ZBT line sounds good... maybe you should actually play some of Zildjians OTHER cymbal lines. I promise you, if you have any idea what a good cymbal should sound and play like (AND HOW LONG IT SHOULD LAST FOR THAT MATTER) then i seriously doubt you will be backing the ZBT line much longer.

btw... I own a 18" crash/ride 16" crash, 20" ride, 13" hihat pair, and 10" splash cymbal... ALL ZBT... ALL BROKEN! (except the ride)

do yourselves a favor and save up the extra cash for some good cymbals... budget cymbals are for beginners and hobbyists, not professionals

dob?

i have some zbts, and they do me all right... the crash just recently broke, but they lasted me the first three years of my drumming so im happy with them. i dont know how im ever gonna ever be able to afford a nice set of cymbals though so it looks like im stuck with zbt.

rockon2112yyz

I had a 16" ZBT crash and 14" hats. I tore up the crash and put three, one inch cracks all around it. Then I stopped playing it and made it into a clock. Sold the hats for $40 before they broke too. Even though they have a nice bright sound, ZBT's are not for heavy hitters! Go for cast, or sabian

jacobtennyson

I have been playing drums since 1970 and have done reasonably well for myself as musician. I was at a point where I had to replace my cymbals fast and cheep and currently went with the ZBT line becouse of my current limitations on funds. I have had these cymbals for about 6 months and have played an average of 3 times a week on them. Because I have treated the cymbals well they have done ok. The idiot that says seeing musicians with cheeper equipment makes him think novice or ameture simply does not have enough experience to no better. I have seen experienced players sound much beter on a Dixon kit with Camber cymbals then most people on DW kits with Paragon cymbals. Don't judge the ability of the musician by the quality of the equipment. That is pure stupitity, arrogance, and ignorance.

STAK

jacobtennyson":1eisq677 said:
I have been playing drums since 1970 and have done reasonably well for myself as musician. I was at a point where I had to replace my cymbals fast and cheep and currently went with the ZBT line becouse of my current limitations on funds. I have had these cymbals for about 6 months and have played an average of 3 times a week on them. Because I have treated the cymbals well they have done ok. The idiot that says seeing musicians with cheeper equipment makes him think novice or ameture simply does not have enough experience to no better. I have seen experienced players sound much beter on a Dixon kit with Camber cymbals then most people on DW kits with Paragon cymbals. Don't judge the ability of the musician by the quality of the equipment. That is pure stupitity, arrogance, and ignorance.
i agree with you to a point...........i was speaking of first impressions however........and where cymbals are concerned, you get what you pay for soundwise............stupid,arrogant and ignorant?............do i really have to be all three?......i mean if you've been playing since 1970 why don't you act your age..........is all that namecalling necessary?..........or are you just having a bad day?................now go play your crappy cymbals mr. not very nice........ :D

phil-drummer

i love zbt cymbals , they can be played in a shed load of genres too , the only problem ive had was the 16" crash. ZBT also do a cymbal line called zbt rock , so thats that problem solved. ive had a zbt plus 18" china for 5 years, once you hav broken it in , its sound bad ass, ( sounds like the bell at start of " for whom the bell tolls " by mettalica, wen struck with a felt beater ). their crash/rides and rides are pretty impressive too, with quite good bell sounds aaaand the splash rock , but their could be a few more sizes, the hi hats work well with any thing . but if you want something more expensive and youve got money for zxt's then save a bit more and skip the zxt range. cuz its quite poor.