Looking to get a first set, any suggestions?

Strategicgnomer

I've only begun drumming and I don't intend on ever being pro but I'd like a good set to last me. I'm not terribly rich but I'm willing to spend a little extra for a decent set. Looking for something under 1000 but if you know several in a range of prices that would be great. Right now I'm playing on a Pearl set, I'm not exactly sure what it is as it's my brother's and he bought it from someone else and I don't really know how it compares because I've only played on it and one other set which is a really cheap Tama set. Any input is appreciated guys, thanks.

Steaky

Gretsch Catalinas are great kit's. PDP's too. Yamaha make the Stage Custom if you can stretch to it.

SGarrett

Buy used and you'll get a better deal. You can usually find a gently used kit with hardware, cymbals, and sometimes cases for under $1k.

Asdex

Yeap! Buy used drum, as what SGarrett said! Try checking out Tama Superstar Hyperdrive or Starclassic B/B... You should consider thinking of getting cymbals though!

Steaky

Don't go to Ebay right now. Go a visit some Drum shops and start looking at this gear in person. You are obviously new to it all and need to make your mind up by actually being in the room with this stuff. Otherwise your not going to know by just looking at some 2D pictures. Anyway snooping around Drum shops and sniffing at Drums is a major part of the Hobby. I love it, go on try it. Then tell us all about the kit you find eventually find it.

Good luck