looking to buy a new snare drum any recommendations

prayingmantis

i wanna buy a new snare drum with my tax return money, i want something i guess that is real loud but the buzz has to be heard since i play in a really loud experimental rock band. i guess it wouldn't hurt if it had a warm sound to it too. i currently play a yamaha stage custom i don't know if that would make any difference at all.

Shalaq

@Mantis- the drumset you use has nothing to do with it. Your snare can be a signature Brady if that's what you like. Tell us what's your budget.
I'd look for maple(warm) snare with thicker shells ( maybe the reference series by Pearl?) or a metal drum (Steel is bright, Brass I think is what will suit you).
Also tell us what size are you looking for.

prayingmantis

does it matter what my budget is? um i guess no more than a grand. the size doesn't matter to me either i really don't care as long as it is loud and the buzz sounds good ya know?

Shalaq

Well, in that case I think you should just look at what we suggested and make a research on rock/metal bands. Lots of rock drummers try to have a loud but warm snare sound. I'd look through them and find out what snares they use. That'll get you started.

The buzz is really the question of the tension of the snare wires. Heck, you can always buy 40 strand snare wires and have a big buzz sound. So I'd look for loud and warm snares (thicker maple shells or brass shells), tune them to your liking, adjust the wires and see how it sounds.

anavrinIV

i have a vented maple spaun thats real loud and much warmer than a steel snare. other than that id recommend a ludwig acrolite. i heard a guy playing one about a 1/3 of a mile away from me...i was sitting in my house and he was playing away from me and through woods...without a mic. that is the loudest snare ive ever heard and i loved it. i even got to play it and it felt amazing.

percussionmafia

If your lookin at a grand as a cap for your budget your pretty much able get whatever you want. I myself have always been favored to 13" drums that are about 6 or 7 deep because I love the stick response from the smaller head but can still get some beef outta the sound. I think a birdseye mapex black panther is a pretty sweet drum that would be great for ya.

adamski

If youre still still looking
Id recommend any of the Premier Modern Classic snares. And if you can aim for a grand, the solid shell craviotto premier modern classic is great. Its the only thing EVER to score 100% in Rhythm magazine. Its solid shell maple andi think you can get it only as 5 and a half inches deep by 14. Its amazing though. I have a standard modern classic snare, its amazing. It records perfectly, real dry (but then again Steely Dan are my thing - as it should be for anyone who drums for a living - ), so therefore I like my snares as dry as possible. Mine is a 14 x 4 but they do them in a vast array of sizes, and you could afford 3 with your budget. meaning you could use the extra to buy some swanky cymbals or even a cheap car!

Mr. Rocco

With that much money available to spend, your options are limitless and there are many out there but if you're still looking, I would suggest checking out Thumpercustomdrums.com I've been a customer of theirs in the past and I am completely satisfied with the quality of their product. In fact, John Jones is having a sale right now so you can get a really great snare for half of what you'd pay for the same drum at the music store. I've got one on order right now and it should be here sometime next week. Just a suggestion. I'd give him a call and speak to him about what you're wanting and he can work with you.

ddrumark

well if you want to kick up a little extra cash,go to musicians friend and look at the bottlecap clear spaun vented acrylic snare,i played one for several months and it was just what you said you wanted,its INCREDIBLY loud and its accualy really warm sounding for recording situations and for a custom acrylic snare,its got a great price tag.around $250ish i think

Scogar

you have a grand to work with, so there is plenty to choose from. I'd say a maple snare has a warm sound...and the loud buzzing can be a product of how you tune it.

good luck finding what fits your sound!

shuffler

Check out the Pork Pie Black Beauty copy. I got mine for 229 at GC and dropped another 80 bucks for die-cast hoops and it is killin!! It's got fat and crack all at the same time, for cheap! Take the rest of your grand and get some new cymbals!

phoenix7289

Looks like I need to show the love for Tama in here obviously, sigh.... ok dude, simple as this: if you have a grand, then hell! Get a freakin' Tama Warlord series snare drum! There are 4 different kinds, one is $1,600 though, so stay away from it, because it is a truly special and crazy kind. But the other 3 are like $600, and they are the craziest snares I have ever seen! They have real crystals, and sound better than anything I have heard! I have yet to see one in person.... but, the pics of them, make them look truly godly.

Also you could try for the Mike Portnoy Melody Master Snare, for a little cheaper, and it is pretty damn crazy also!!!

shiebcte

percussionmafia":9qaf83xe said:
If your lookin at a grand as a cap for your budget your pretty much able get whatever you want. I myself have always been favored to 13" drums that are about 6 or 7 deep because I love the stick response from the smaller head but can still get some beef outta the sound. I think a birdseye mapex black panther is a pretty sweet drum that would be great for ya.
I definitely agree. Mapex makes some nasty snares, great for metal.

The Wes

pretty much an 6.5 X 13 maple with a 2" vent... super powerful with good sensitivity.... some puresound wires wouldnt hurt.

demongod8

if you are looking for something loud and warm.. man I have the drum for you check it out you play in a rock band right? I play in a metal band and this snare is insane i dont know if you are big on buying a signature snare but for the price you really cant beat it its about 300 buck plus tax wich will allow you to use more of your tax refund on other additions like maybe some more cymbals or new pedals or just what ever but I own this snare and I love it

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=444808