Looking for a certain drum

HyperKNc

Hey, one of the songs my band is doing is going to call for a very deep, war-drum like sound over a military cadence. Any ideas on how I can achieve the sound. The normal bass drum my kit has doesn't sound distant enough. Thanks!

HyperKNc

Thanks, I'll look around for that. I was considering draping a towel over a bass drum, and puting a drum head over that, and taping all to the bass drum, a la Inchon, but that might work too. I don't have much money, obviousy, if I'm considering draping a towel over a bass

drummert2k

you can try taking the reso head off your kick and even putting like a fiberskin batter head on and using mallets. you might need some muffling but that might sound pretty sweet!

HyperKNc

Actually, I heard the best sound today. That song living on the edge by areosmith has a part where the wind is blowing, then a pounding drum part. That's the sound I want.

Rockaflodge

Try useing a room mic or a mic a good distance from the drum and add alot of reverb, that might be a cheep way of doing it with out having to get another drum.