long sticksvs short sticks? heavy vs light?

b b253

i was just wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are to having long or short or heavy/light drumsticks? long drumsticks have more of a reach but would shorter ones have more rebound or something? right now i use 16" 3/4 lon drumsticks 3b's. thinking about switching to lighter and shorter but i was just wondering what the differences are.
thanks

Alan_

I find I'm pretty middle of the road. Don't like super long sticks, but something like those pro mark phil collins sticks will drive me up a wall. I used 3b's for a while, really liked them.

i like a medium thickness but more towards the heavier side. i use vic firth metals because theyre 17 inches long...i REALLY wish that someone made 18 inch or longer sticks... :(

SGarrett

Generally speaking, shorter and lighter sticks rebound faster. BUT, that doesn't take the taper or tip shape into account either and both of those can change the rebound of otherwise similar sticks.

If you're looking for new sticks, go to the store and put some in your hands. Air drum with them, play them on a pad, and make sure that your hands like them. :)

SGarrett

Butt end = poor rebound.

When I'm curious about what specific size a certain stick is, I put a ".com" after the manufacturer's name. :)

drumweezer

I like like longer sticks, but if the diameter gets bigger then 747's, I have a hard time gripping them for long periods of time. Don't know why. So, I tend to stick with 747's or 5a's.

audiotech

I usually use a 7A or 5A stick depending on what I'm playing. Just about a year ago I came across Zildjian Heavy Jazz sticks, they fit my hands like a glove. They have a tapper similar to that of a 7A, but have the weight and length close to that of a 5A. They balance beautifully and hold up well without the tips chipping which plagues a lot of different wooden tips. They aren't for everybody, but they turned into my favorite sticks.

Dennis

break the prism

i personally always go for light, long sticks. Long for reach and light for precision when I'm doing softer, more intricate work on cymbals and toms. When I marched I of course used the long, heavy marching sticks, and for a while after i got into the drum kit I still used heavies. But a couple of years ago i found that training with the heavier sticks made my abilities with lighter sticks drastically improve.

SGarrett

In the past few years I've used 7a, 5a, 5b, and Harvey Mason signature. I use the VicFirth 5b because they fit my hands well. Dynamic control comes from my wrists and fingers. Fun story about that. When I used to work in a drum shop Mike Johnston and I were standing on opposite sides of the counter playing on a practice pad. Mike uses Vic 8d sticks and I was using some big-ass ProMark marching sticks (white with green accents). Mike plays ridiculously loud and I asked him, "how do you play so loud with such little sticks?" He replied, "how do you play so quietly with such big sticks?". I said, "wrists and fingers". He raised his eyebrow and smiled that knowing smile of his.

Alan_

dynamic control comes from your hands, but the sound characteristics of different stick sizes, tip styles, and shoulder tapers are different, and react differently to surfaces.

ShadowDrummer

SGarrett":3v33okow said:
In the past few years I've used 7a, 5a, 5b, and Harvey Mason signature. I use the VicFirth 5b because they fit my hands well. Dynamic control comes from my wrists and fingers. Fun story about that. When I used to work in a drum shop Mike Johnston and I were standing on opposite sides of the counter playing on a practice pad. Mike uses Vic 8d sticks and I was using some big-ass ProMark marching sticks (white with green accents). Mike plays ridiculously loud and I asked him, "how do you play so loud with such little sticks?" He replied, "how do you play so quietly with such big sticks?". I said, "wrists and fingers". He raised his eyebrow and smiled that knowing smile of his.
LOL I could see that happening. Small world.

As far as sticks I tend to be in the Vater 5b range and on some occasions 5A's.
I've downscaled considerimg I used to play David Silvera signatures.

I'm a metal drummer, and I used to use Vic Firth Extreme 5A American Classics, and I broke way to many pairs, but I just recently picked up Regal Tips 5B Graphite Core sticks, and I was AMAZED! They are light but they produce a very heavy sound. And they are cheap too.