Listen to me play

okjohne

Hey all. My band and I have posted two araingments on myspace. They are not really songs as we are shopping for a vocalist and they are without lyrics. They are brand new and represent the direction we are currently going.

Help a brother out and try to listen to a bit of each tune. It'd be awesome if we had a 100 listens by tomorrow.

The band is OIL SLAVE

myspace.com/oilslaves

Thanx

eml

Man I do like MONGO! The snare sound on "A Meaty 6" doesn't appeal to me at all though, sounds very tomtommy (too much tone, not enough snare). I really like MONGO though, I'll certainly listen to it again. What splash/splashes do you have? This recording sounds unEQ'd and I'm looking for that particular splash sound!

I might actually have some lyrics that I'm not giving to my band as I don't see them fitting our style that I could hand over (if you'd like). They're not as crappy written as my sentences :D

okjohne

Thanx, bro. Yeah, Meaty was our first attempt at recording in this basement studio. No one in the band is happy about the drum sound. We made some serious adjustments for Mongo (just opperating names by the way. They'll get real names when there is a song). We may, record it again. Tonight I'm laying drums down for the third arangement of about ten that we have. It is operating under the name 9er. Up next week I hope.

okjohne

eml":109z6l2w said:
Man I do like MONGO! The snare sound on "A Meaty 6" doesn't appeal to me at all though, sounds very tomtommy (too much tone, not enough snare). I really like MONGO though, I'll certainly listen to it again. What splash/splashes do you have? This recording sounds unEQ'd and I'm looking for that particular splash sound!

I might actually have some lyrics that I'm not giving to my band as I don't see them fitting our style that I could hand over (if you'd like). They're not as crappy written as my sentences :D
Sorry missed your question about the splash cymbals. On the kit I recorded on I used from left to right 14" new beat HH's 14" Zidjian crash with a hamered bottom. Not sure of the line but I purchased it at a pawn shop for $10. Has a bit of a clangy sound. Probably a lower line Z. Next is my 10" A splash, 16" Zildjian A series fast crash and then My 20" ping ride. The Mic strategy was simple 2 overheads Y pattern to get all cymbals and toms. Trigger bass drum. The snare got special attention with a SM58 on the top and bottom and a trigger as well.

okjohne

Alan_":f5c55stg said:
groovy drumming. band kind of has a meat puppets-meets-kyuss feel.
Thanx man. My band mates aren't very patient so I think they gave me two go's on Mongo but I did Meaty in one. Basically stripped the fills for accuracy. The tunes are brand new and I'm sure I'll build confidence in the fills as I play the tunes more.

As far as the sound, I'm not sure. I hear Sabbath doin a head on collosion with the Foo Fighters. Definetly some Grunge influence as you noted. I'd like to steer it more towards Sludge (Like Clutch). If only we can find someone who sings like that. Truely, write now our sound is at the mercy of our vocalist fortune.

Tracked another tune last night. Should be up in a week or so after the Guitar and Bass players take 50 takes in the privacy of they're basement studios to lay down and sometimes punch in their parts.

SmellsLikeIan

okjohne":m9ax0zi1 said:
Tracked another tune last night. Should be up in a week or so after the Guitar and Bass players take 50 takes in the privacy of they're basement studios to lay down and sometimes punch in their parts.
For some reason it always seems to happen that way....Kinduv a bummer, especially when you hear the other parts and say, "if I'd have known the bass player/guitar player/whoever was going to play that, I have a really good idea to go along with it that I would have played." But everyone else just says, "no, its fine, just leave everything how it is."

okjohne

Thanx to everyone who listened. We got a bunch of listens in a couple days and I believe most were you. The myspace has also helped the vocalist search. We scheduled an audition today. Thanx

eml

Hope you find a great singer! I like having two singers in my band, you can do so much more when they sing in harmonies (we have one girl and a guy). Be sure to tell us how it goes!

okjohne

TheYardstick said:
Your snare is triggered? It sounds surprisingly organic.

Only complaint here is the clicky bass drum.[/quo

Yep currently using two mics and a trigger on the snare. I don't really care for triggers. Only reason we use the Bass Drum trigger is we do not have a good enough mic to get a good sound.