-Less Is More-

ZaQ[MTG]

Whats up to all my brothers in the drummin world!

Long story short...

I used to be a simple jazz drummer...ive been seriously drumming for about 8 to 9 years and ill be turning 20 in september...
anyway...my jazz set up was was tiny... a kick drum...2 toms...hi hats...1 crash...1 ride and a snare...and i was happy...recently...ive evolved my jazz roots by joining a hardcore band...very much into the double bass and break downs...ive only added another crash and one other tom...i love my set up...its easy and simple and i can really work it...

However when i play shows with other hardcore and metal bands...i see drummers with countless cymbals and drums...im glad that there giving themselves more to work with but...i cant see myself with all that gear...i just love keeping to a minimal and was wondering if any of you feel the same way?

-ZaQ-

m

I totally disagree~

but this is a discussion forum and I think it's cool that we can discuss different perspectives and learn from each other.
I can see the appeal of minimal setups, and I respect the choice and preference, but it is not something I personally prefer.

arguments tend to arise when discussing big vs small kits, but I think we can have a conversation about preference without resorting to that.
I have misgivings about the phrase 'less is more,' but there's probably no point going into it except to say that I don't subscribe to that theory.

have you got some pics of your kit? Post them in the 'show your kit section' if so, we love seeing each other's gear!
welcome to DML

kylevater

ZaQ[MTG said:
":1i4aacic]Whats up to all my brothers in the drummin world!

Long story short...

I used to be a simple jazz drummer...ive been seriously drumming for about 8 to 9 years and ill be turning 20 in september...
anyway...my jazz set up was was tiny... a kick drum...2 toms...hi hats...1 crash...1 ride and a snare...and i was happy...recently...ive evolved my jazz roots by joining a hardcore band...very much into the double bass and break downs...ive only added another crash and one other tom...i love my set up...its easy and simple and i can really work it...

However when i play shows with other hardcore and metal bands...i see drummers with countless cymbals and drums...im glad that there giving themselves more to work with but...i cant see myself with all that gear...i just love keeping to a minimal and was wondering if any of you feel the same way?

-ZaQ-
i was the same way
i had
2 toms
2 floor toms
2 crashes
a ride
a high hat
snare
with a pdp double bass pedal
and just last week got 2 chinas and a splash
i liked the simpler set, but i dont want to take the others off
i took my second tom off for more room
now i cant do many good fills

ZaQ[MTG]

m":24ttj2be said:
I totally disagree~

but this is a discussion forum and I think it's cool that we can discuss different perspectives and learn from each other.
I can see the appeal of minimal setups, and I respect the choice and preference, but it is not something I personally prefer.

arguments tend to arise when discussing big vs small kits, but I think we can have a conversation about preference without resorting to that.
I have misgivings about the phrase 'less is more,' but there's probably no point going into it except to say that I don't subscribe to that theory.

have you got some pics of your kit? Post them in the 'show your kit section' if so, we love seeing each other's gear!
welcome to DML
I Totally agree bro...it all comes own to personal preference like you said...and will hopefully ave pics of my kit on here soon...

may i ask what type of kit ur playin?

ZaQ

m

ZaQ[MTG said:
":1lx4gkwx]
I Totally agree bro...it all comes own to personal preference like you said...and will hopefully ave pics of my kit on here soon...
may i ask what type of kit ur playin?
cool; we look forward to seeing them!
I've got a couple different kits, for gigging vs recording.

5 pc Po Boy maple/birch

Tama Granstar birch & Roland V's

we've also got a 6 pc DW collectors kit in the studio, but it's sitting in the corner catching dust since I got the Po Boys.

Susanboy

It's a touchy thing for many drummers. I like to be prepared, but I also don't like to have drums and cymbals I don't need. I really like the feel of 1 rack and one floor tom, with my ride where the other tom normally is, but I also don't like being unprepared. I'm probably going to switch to 2 bass drums to put that ride where I like it and still be prepared for everything.

Of course, if you're playing a jazz show and show up with 2 huge bass drums and a million chinas, you're probably going to get booed off stage.

Timekeep69

Why is it that drummers with small kits feel the need to start posts complaining about large kits and how they're happy with their small kits and that large kits are a waste of time? I've never seen a large kit owner start a thread saying how rediculous and limiting a small kit is.

Is it drum envy?

anavrinIV

less isnt more. less cannot be more, its not physically possible unless you change the meaning of one of the words to by synonymous with the other, but that would be stupid. if less is more then everything is exactly the same, and we cant have that.

i respect your decision to play a smaller setup. i personally like a bit larger setup and am currently playing a 6 pc yamaha set with 9 cymbals. later on i will add to the set and my cymbal collection.

ive played smaller setups and theyre fun as a "this is different, i like the idea" kind of thing but they never stick with me. i like my 6 pc too but id like another floor tom to keep permanently on my left side and im looking at a 4pc set of octobans as well as some hand percussion....because more is more and you can get more sounds out of more gear.

ZaQ[MTG]

Timekeep69":1q7l4yeg said:
Why is it that drummers with small kits feel the need to start posts complaining about large kits and how they're happy with their small kits and that large kits are a waste of time? I've never seen a large kit owner start a thread saying how rediculous and limiting a small kit is.

Is it drum envy?

In no way am i attacking drummers with large kits...i consider a drum set a reflection of ones self...a thumb print if you will...its not my motive to say which is best...i just feel more comfortable with less around me...i have no problem making my kit sound as full as a bigger set...once again its just a personal preference if a bigger kit works for you then more power to you...no drum envy here...

-ZaQ-

Rob the Drummer

I don't really care, I'll play with whatever is in front of me. I love playing regular 4 piece sets, I love playing monster sets. Doesn't really matter. What matters is that it sucks lugging around a monster kit...lets please not begin to make this thread a kit size/penis size correlation thread! :lol:

Also, I think I'm the only drummer that does enjoy playing on other peoples kits. It makes you see things differently sometimes.

ZaQ[MTG]

Rob the Drummer":2aiul3vf said:
I don't really care, I'll play with whatever is in front of me. I love playing regular 4 piece sets, I love playing monster sets. Doesn't really matter. What matters is that it sucks lugging around a monster kit...lets please not begin to make this thread a kit size/penis size correlation thread! :lol:
Amen to you Broski

-ZaQ-

Brother_Bong

It all comes down to what works for you. Also remember the more you bring, the more you set up, take down etc.(unless you have racks/skids) For me I like my 7/11 kit(drums/cymbals), and would feel the loss of even one piece. I'm still thinking of adding 2 more drums, and 3 or 4 more cymbals, but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ we'll see.

TheYardstick

ZaQ[MTG said:
":3nnoa0fo]Whats up to all my brothers in the drummin world!

Long story short...

-ZaQ-
The drummer from This Is Hell has one bass drum, one rack tom, and one floor tom with about 4 cymbals, and he's still pretty amazing, don't let size get to your head, just worry about playing right.

k7mto

I have an old 7pc Tama kit and tons of cymbals. Back in the day I used to use every drum and cymbal I had along with extra goodies thrown in. It was the 80's and it was all about the bling. After a while, I got tired of draggin all that crap to every gig, setting it up and tearing it down each time. I started limiting what I'd bring based on the show being played, size of the venue, etc. More often than not, I'd end up using 4 or 5 pcs with 3 or 4 cymbals and a hi-hat. I could get the same job done with less but it's good to know I have more if I need it.

Anymore, I stick with a middle of the road sized kit and it works great (for me).

druming=life

i honestly have no preference, i play a 6 piece but i would just as happily play a 4 piece, i have fun no matter what not counting those days where you suck it up and can't think of anything creative to play :?

osiva

whatever is comfortable will work. Ive seen some amazing drummers on big and small kits...but when a drummer can shred on a small kit and make less SOUND like more, Im always more impressed! Check out candiria or dillinger escape plan if your into hardcore. both guys play with 3 -4 piece sets and really play some amazing stuff! you might like my band www.myspace.com/mutuallines if you like dbl bass and breakdown stuff...

FelterSkelter

Timekeep69":2wf6nvq1 said:

Is it drum envy?
YES. I play a small kit because it's easy but if I had a pair of cojones, I'd probably have a bigger kit too.

SGarrett

"Less is more" tends to be a difficult concept for most younger/less experienced players. It's a concept that everyone needs to learn for themselves and it only happens with time.

Gretz

Less isn't more.

Less isn't worse than more.

More isn't better.

More is simply that... more stuff.

some people will say, what matters more is what you DO with the stuff you have

my question is... does it REALLY make the music better?

I've NEVER been in a situation where I saw a drummer with a 4 piece kit and said, "man, i wish he had more stuff"

I HAVE been in situations where I saw a drummer with a shit-ton of gear and wondered "why?"

so, my take on it is.. whatever you feel better with.

on that note, I use a 4 piece kit and have had NO problems with metal/hardcore styled stuff.

I do however take note when we play with bands that have full rack systems and countless toms and cymbals and it takes them 40 minutes to get their gear on and off stage on a 5 band bill.

Timekeep69

SGarrett":w73l3m6r said:
"Less is more" tends to be a difficult concept for most younger/less experienced players. It's a concept that everyone needs to learn for themselves and it only happens with time.
:roll: