Lefty's Playing Right-Footed Pedals

Ghost Signal

Does anyone else have this issue?

I play drums left-handed. I'm not left-handed in anything other than this. A few years ago I started a band with my friend who also plays drums and I started playing on his kit. I set everything up left-handed, except his double bass pedal which was right-footed. What I was forced to do is clamp the pedal on the drum normally, but then rotate everything else like 30 degrees. It's hard to explain...the master pedal and the bass drum would be on my right foot, the snare would be between my legs which would be back and to the left of the bass drum, and the slave pedal would be halfway underneath a rack tom in the floor tom position. After a few years like this I tried going back to playing a regular single-footed left-handed setup and now I feel like I have to twist way out of position to hit my floor tom. So now, I'm going to buy a new Iron Cobra double-pedal and I'm going with a right-footer because I think it'll be way uncomfortable to play on a left-footer. Does this make sense to anyone and does anyone have this problem?

screamkevin

That is the wierdest thing I've ever heard of in drumming, but hey, if it works for you, it works for you. I say go for it!

Howepirate

why dont u just set it up normal right handed with your hi hats really low as well as your ride on the left side...i know plenty of people that do that

Ghost Signal

Howepirate":23817un2 said:
why dont u just set it up normal right handed with your hi hats really low as well as your ride on the left side...i know plenty of people that do that
Because, as shitty as it is to say, I can't roll right-handed. I can roll both directions left-handed but trying to roll on a right-handed kit is like trying to draw left-handed while looking in a mirror for me. It's not that I haven't tried. I'm lucky enough to be the only lefty within like a 5 mile radius, so I've played on plenty of right-handed kits. It just doesn't CLICK right playing on a right-hander. It's tense and uncomfortable, like walking on a tightrope or something. Plus I've found that setting the drums up like this squares me up to the kit better. I don't have to twist at all to get to anything. I wish I could afford one of those damn double pedals with both beaters centered.

I can't believe nobody else has this problem.

Rockula!

I have been playing lefty on a right "footed" double bass pedal ever since I mistakenly was shipped one from Thoughrobred music back in 93
This simple mistake has led to my ability to build unusual setups
Here's a pic of my current setup

The other thing that helps is that I use a cable hi-hat
This allows me to put the hi-hat pedal either inside or outside my right pedal depending on the type of configuration I wanna do at the time
A "backwards" pedal allows me to cram everything within a 45 degree radius because my bass drum is not in the way of pulling a floor tom up close

The best thing about drums?
NO RULES!!!!!!!!!!!

nickbaldwin

phil-drummer":2xj9swii said:
apparently chris adler is also a left on a righty kit ,
I dont think he is. He leads with his right, on his kit, which is a righty kit, and plays his main hats (on the left) with his right.

phil-drummer

nickbaldwin":35nz5l5f said:
phil-drummer":35nz5l5f said:
I dont think he is. He leads with his right, on his kit, which is a righty kit, and plays his main hats (on the left) with his right.
fair enuff , i was just going by word of mouth

Eiren

nickbaldwin":2v42xav4 said:
phil-drummer":2v42xav4 said:
Totally incorrect I'm afraid. He's a leftie on a right-handed kit, and he mostly leads with his left foot.

There's an interview with him in the latest Rhythm magazine where he states this.

Slayer

No but I am left handed and play right handed. my brother got me started and I've been playing that way for 9 years. It opens your mind up and lets you do things that would generally be really hard. Imagine playing left handed. Thats what it felt like when I started. but it has helped me and I think I'm alright. People tell me I play like John Bonham. :) after awhile you just get used to it. as I see it as long as your comfortable playing it doesn't matter how you play.

syntaxerror

nickbaldwin":1qdvbugk said:
phil-drummer":1qdvbugk said:
He defo is a lefty on a right handed kit, he said himself in this months Rhythm magazine.

PaulZILLA

very nice. sounds fun. ill have to try that but in revers. im a righty. and i usualy play double bass setup. and nice pic of the green kit dude. and wtf is that a marching snare with floor tom legs. man youve given me some ideas with that thing.

nickbaldwin

Eiren":2a5i4ef7 said:
nickbaldwin":2a5i4ef7 said:
phil-drummer":2a5i4ef7 said:
Totally incorrect I'm afraid. He's a leftie on a right-handed kit, and he mostly leads with his left foot.

There's an interview with him in the latest Rhythm magazine where he states this.
My bad, everytime I've seen him play he plays righty with his hands though, never see him lead with his left hand.

Jaso

nickbaldwin":1dnnak5i said:
Eiren":1dnnak5i said:
nickbaldwin":1dnnak5i said:
phil-drummer":1dnnak5i said:

My bad, everytime I've seen him play he plays righty with his hands though, never see him lead with his left hand.

He also says so in his Modern Drummer interview.

Chris Z

I as well am blessed with that "odd" playing style. I'm left handed and right footed. my setup is right handed with my ride on my left side. I have thought about trying a different setup like yours, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. your setup is quite interesting. oh yeah, I absolutely love your big ass snare! that kicks ass! I have never been a fan of that piccolo snare sound and never understood it's popularity. keep rockin' those BIG drums!
Chris Z

Marki777

Im a righty on a lefty kit. The bass drum is on my left foot next to my hi hat with no legs so I can get it in nice and close. Im using a dbl left pedal so the the slave is my main bass pedal. I also have a cable hat on the right side so I have hats on both sides and the pedal for it is on the left side. So my left side footing goes like this from outside to inside: cable hat then no leg hat stand then bass pedal. My right side is just the slave on my dbl bass pedal. With the bass drum on the left side it allows me to bring the toms down very low and close to the snare so with very little movement i can cover the whole kit. It also makes for a very compact setup. I do have to pay close attention to the linkage from the bass drum pedal to keep it lubed to prevent premature wear. Im using Iron cobra pedals but im thinking of going to DW pedals cause there linkages are better constructed, stronger U-joints. Maybe I could just use there likages, I'll have to investigate this. But I use this set up with 2-5 toms and either my 18 or 22 inch bass drum. Works great and looks very different.