Left Handed Drummers

sharkscott

Are there any drummers here who play left handed?

Can you name any famous left handed drummers?

If you are right handed, have you ever tried to play left handed?

Did you sound as bad as I do playing righty? :lol:

Shalaq

I am left handed,
left handed drummers? Ian Paice.
I try to play right handed sometimes, but I prefer to play open handed, because I'm very left-footed :p

sharkscott

I try to play right handed sometimes, but I prefer to play open handed, because I'm very left-footed Razz
You and me both! Every other instrument I have ever played I play right handed..NATURALLY! go figure. But Drums, its gotta be lefty.

Nice kit by the way, I voted for you.

Brazilian Drummer

I'm left handed too, but my kit is setup for right handed. I play both, sometiems I like to lead with my left but most of the time I lead with my right hand.

Carter Beauford is a lefty

quikstang2

I'm a righty but when I get my new set I'm going to switch my practice set to lefty to build coordination.

I do like going to music stores and playing the ONE left handed kit that they have set up (and play it decently) and then switching to the right handed sets and actually play harder stuff. Occasionally someone won't notice and they'll sit down on the lefty set and know something is wrong, but they just can't figure it out...not until I act like it's cool that they're left handed, at which point most people leave the store embarrassed.

I love you lefty guys.

sharkscott

I do like going to music stores and playing the ONE left handed kit that they have set up (and play it decently) and then switching to the right handed sets and actually play harder stuff. Occasionally someone won't notice and they'll sit down on the lefty set and know something is wrong, but they just can't figure it out...not until I act like it's cool that they're left handed, at which point most people leave the store embarrassed.
Wait a second..you have actually been a music store that had a drum-set set up LEFT HANDED!?!?!?!?!?

In my life I have NEVER seen a kit in a music store set-up left handed..EVER!!!
It is a running joke between me and my friend Damion(who is also a drummer and left handed like me) that if we ever saw one that we would completely freak out!!!

I swear I have never had the pleasure of sitting behind a left handed kit in a music store. EVEN WHEN I WAS BUYING ONE THEY WOULDN'T DO IT!!!!

Then again most leftys still play right handed anyway...

frogdrummer

I am a southpawdrummer, and I have yet to meet another in person. sweet deal that there are some out there, and on this forum.

razor_chris

Im left handed but I learned to play right handed...and thats how its been for 8 years..sometimes i see myself starting with the wrong hand on a chop...but i practice the way its supposed to be done until i get it right or sometimes i simply adjust the cordination so the timing n feel doesnt vanish.....

one thing ive been doing is studying a lot left handed drummers that play right handed such as John Blackwell, Simon Phillips, Carter Beauford, Phill Collins....they all have their own way to play the drums..they have adjusted their hands movement and cordination in a way they can keep playing not necesarly following the usual concept..that can help me out how to look for a way to play without problms.

devilspain

dominic howard from MUSE Is a lefty!!

haha sorry feel bad i always say leftys are freaks!! only as a joke ;) dont kill me! it is wierd especially left handed bass and guitar players it just looks wrong!!!

lee

Mike (Puffy) Bordin from Faith No More/Ozzy is left handed, but plays open handed on a right handed kit with his ride cymbal above his hi hats.
I'm left handed and don't see that many other lefties around, but it's not something that I see as being a big deal. Male/female/left/right, does it really matter so long as people enjoy playing drums????

Scott_Hurford

sharkscott":qz65l5ep said:
Are there any drummers here who play left handed?

Can you name any famous left handed drummers?

If you are right handed, have you ever tried to play left handed?

Did you sound as bad as I do playing righty? :lol:
Dominic Howard (Muse)
Ian Paice (Deep Purple)

i actually tried playing left handedly today, i'm a right handed drummer and it felt so strange playing left handed, but it wasnt to, bad, its good to try both left and right handed, since u build strength in both sides.

Jiggarelli

Wasn't Blind Melons drummer a left handed player?
Travis Barker, Tre Cool, and Stewart Copeland are left handed but play right handed.

dcoy_drummer

i am left handed but i have been taught to play right handed. i find that i lead alot with my right cause of this but i have recently switched my kit about to see how i get on.
XXDDXX

Sinisterdrums

i am a left handed drummer and i cant play left handed. i learned to play " normal" instead of the way i was suposed to and it turned out to be pretty good. in fact i know quite a few local musicians who are left handed and play right handed. but i know more who play left handed.

as for "professional drummers" i never noticed. but im very un-educated when it comes to drums so what the hell.

Iqa

I'm a lefty but I play with a kit set up for right-handed drummers. I always use my left hand to lead stuff tho, like fills, etc.

Drumlord

I'm a lefty, too. Up until about 5 years ago I played a right-handed kit. Then, I decided to try playing a left-handed kit. It felt so much better, except for the kick. My left foot was very weak compared to my right. So, I ended up setting up the top of the kit lefty and the kick and pedals righty (I play electronic drums, so it was easier to do). Finally, last year I decided to force myself to play left-footed and used a single pedal just so I would have a crutch. It took a little time but now my left foot is much stronger and faster. The overall switch has made my playing much better, I think.

I am considering switching my practice kit back to right-handed and learning to actually play righty. I agree with others here that it will improve coordination and limb independance. I'm always looking for new ways to experience drums. :)

lexhitreset

i'm righty but i play left handed, go figure, i'm pretty ambitdextrous so i think that's why i ended up that way, i've played drums 13 yrs lefty and guitar 8 years righty.

in high school, with concert, stage, jazz band. i had to play righty (open handed for me). and it's doable. helps you in certain aspects, leading around the toms, cross overs, and alternation.