Latter-day resources

BillRayDrums

An earlier thread got me thinking "What DID we do before the internet for information?" We went out and learned what we could in whatever way was available.

Fast-forward to today. You can dial up YouTube and watch performances by so many great musicians, drummers, artists, etc. There are people just giving away their lesson stuff (I'm one of them) and still people complain that they just don't have enough to work on or whatever.

Back in the day we had to work for our knowledge. Nowadays it's just there.

SGarrett

No doubt, man. I remember when Drum! was a free publication that looked more like a newspaper than a magazine. That was about the extent of free knowledge outside of school and someone who decided you were worthy of their time. I was jamming out in a new house one day when this old guy came up and started talking to my dad. They came over and I was like "oh great, now I'm not gonna get to play." Turns out that he did a lot of sessions for Patty Labelle back in the day and tried to show me some really cool jazz stuff. Of course, I was such a full-on metal head that I just didn't get it and he gave up. I still kick myself for that one every so often.

Remember the old school metronome? You had to slide the weight up and down to control the bpm.

racefan33

I remember trying to stay awake to see KISS on The Midnight Special. You had to catch it live because there were no DVDs, no YouTube, no video tapes. I fell asleep. I was very bummed.

JAdrums2k

ah yea..... the old days.

8 tracks
vinyl
cassette tapes
beta

I recorded my first "demo" on a dual cassette boom box w/ a microphone...... low tech

dave lynch

Remember the old school metronome? You had to slide the weight up and down to control the bpm.

I had one that I could seem to never keep time with...I got to thinkin that it would rush the left or right sie (don't remember which side) I continuded to use it and was so frustrated with myself..I then purchased another battery operated metronome and out of nowhere I was on..I had someone else check out the old one and he agreed that it was off..man what a relief that was..Ughhh..oh and yeah..I tried level sufaces and tried leaning it...it was off..!!

BillRayDrums

dave lynch":1lj1b8nm said:

I had one that I could seem to never keep time with...I got to thinkin that it would rush the left or right sie (don't remember which side) I continuded to use it and was so frustrated with myself..I then purchased another battery operated metronome and out of nowhere I was on..I had someone else check out the old one and he agreed that it was off..man what a relief that was..Ughhh..oh and yeah..I tried level sufaces and tried leaning it...it was off..!!
Such things as learning to time one's movements with the metronome's is forever lost in a sea of digital bleeps and binks. One of the greatest things you can experience is finding that one person in the club, making them dance, and timing yourself with their movements is a sort of private communion I like to share with an unknowing participant (remember the girl at the bar with the junk in the trunk?). Anyhow, It's that sort of thing that I kinda crave.

The internet has produced the "cable TV syndrome" with drummers in that even though there's one million (BILLION) channels to watch, there's never anything on. With all that's out there you would think the collective conciousness would be raised to such a level that infants were coming out spang-a-langing at 200bpm. From there death metal would sound like a sewing machine powered by a rapid-fire cap gun with the occasional stop and cookie monster anthemic shout.

Anyhow, Another great day in the salt mines. I've been building alot of web sites lately and am so enjoying the challenge. And the cool thing is that I am in with some pretty heavy cats in their field. It's all about the networking. And check it out- that's 99% of what I'm talking about. Doing the hang thing.

dave lynch

Yeah Billy I'm Hip.....One thing I do LUV about playin live is when the crowed is rockin with ya and you're makin them get off....I just wish sometimes the little cutie would give me a warning before she walks in cuz it seems to always shock me a tad..LOL

FelterSkelter

BillRayDrums":k589koad said:
An earlier thread got me thinking "What DID we do before the internet for information?" We went out and learned what we could in whatever way was available.

Fast-forward to today. You can dial up YouTube and watch performances by so many great musicians, drummers, artists, etc. There are people just giving away their lesson stuff (I'm one of them) and still people complain that they just don't have enough to work on or whatever.

Back in the day we had to work for our knowledge. Nowadays it's just there.
I do what I still do. Go out and see a lot of acts coming through the area, and take in all the different styles. Different styles of playing, setups, techniques. I've learned most everything I know this way.

christopherabruce

And with all this knowledge at our fingertips, I still find that young and inexperienced drummers have the same misinformation that I and many other drummers had pre-internet.