Lars Ulrich

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYardstick

Yes, I do realize that is a touchy subject, but I want to bring up something that has been kind of nagging at me lately after listening to some Metallica.

Yes, we all know that Lars Ulrich has failed to play more complicated patterns over a course of nearly 30 years, but can you imagine a Metallica without him. He has become an integral part of their sound I dare say.

Personally I couldn't imagine what Metallica would sound like without his overly simplistic patterns.

So how about you guys?

Please note before you reply that I am not a Lars Ulrich fan and I am not trying to make him sound better than he really is.

Mitchell_2004

Id rather wonder what Metalica would sound like if Cliff burton was still around.. I would like to think, MAYBE.. that he had influence on the drumming..(I know he brought a big classical background in to Metallica) I mean.. Ride, Master.. good good gooood stuff.. after that.. it went to hell.. I dont even Like Black all that much.. Just Unforgiven and the most tried cover song, Nothing.. But to answer your question.. I couldnt see Metallica With out Lars.. I think if you put Mike Portnoy In Metallica, Man I dunno.. That would just be interesting..

cgaffka

Lars is the creator of metallica... without him.. i agree with you.. it wouldnt be right.. he definitely makes metallica what it is.. i also agree.. they might be alot better if they still had cliff.. but i still like the stuff they did with Jason and Rob... its still good stuff in my opinion... i cant wait to see what comes next soon in their new album.. i can tell u one thing.. lars's snare wont be the way it is in st anger.. :D

Gaddabout

cgaffka":1fvpyvqo said:
lars's snare wont be the way it is in st anger.. :D
I continue to be humored by the reaction of so many by one snare (sound). I've come up with an anger management chart, with level of importance at 10, and no so important closer to 1, to help keep some of you from kicking that cat at your next thought of Lars' St. Anger recording.

RANKING THINGS THAT PEOPLE DO THAT MAKE YOU ANGRY
10 = justified, red-hot, righteous anger; 1 = let it go

10 - Murdering you or a member of your family or family pet
9 - Treason, betrayal
8 - Abusive act against you or family or family pet
7 - Sleeping with your sister
6 - Forgetting to pay rent/electric/utility bill
5 - "Borrowing" your car without asking
4 - Auditioning for American Idol
3 - Missing one band practice w/o notice
2 - Gleefully recording that snare on St. Anger
1 - Farting in mixed company

There you go. Grab some perspective and study up! :wink:

cgaffka

lol yeh true.. hes actually pretty cool i found a bunch of just behind the scenes videos and posted em on my myspace.. people dont see this stuff and go out and say hes a complete dick.. that makes me mad.. i like lars.. hey check the videos out and let me know what u think..

www.myspace.com/chrisgaffka

theres a bunch there.. have fun lol

Gaddabout

cgaffka":ccjpfpcm said:
lol yeh true.. hes actually pretty cool i found a bunch of just behind the scenes videos and posted em on my myspace.. people dont see this stuff and go out and say hes a complete dick.. that makes me mad.. i like lars.. hey check the videos out and let me know what u think..

You know, I'm not the least bit interested in Lars Ulrich the drummer or Metallica the band, but Lars the person seems like a very cool guy.

cgaffka

Gaddabout":1eug28bt said:
cgaffka":1eug28bt said:

You know, I'm not the least bit interested in Lars Ulrich the drummer or Metallica the band, but Lars the person seems like a very cool guy.
yeh.. see i like him as a drummer and i love metallica... but also as a person he looks like a kick ass person.. and some of those are funny..

Paco D' Rocker

Lars has a good simple sound that alot of drummers don't have. it's solid and good, but really Metallica is a joke now days. If cliff was still around I would say that the direction of the band would still be the old school way.

TheYardstick

Didn't we just go through nine pages of this???
Yes we did, but I am trying to provide a view on his playing that the other thread did not, that thread mainly was compried of absolute fan boys or people that absolutely hated Lars. I am trying to provide a middle view point.

Status
Not open for further replies.