Large Hadron Collider

McForman

I'm not sure if everyone knows about this, but what are your thoughts? Are we all gonna be sucked up into a black hole? or is it all just a load of hooey?

Empyrean Drums

It's a particle accelerator designed to perform experiments that will help us gain a greater understanding of universal forces. It's not a bunch of hooey, but the speed and forces are still no where close to a black hole.
With any luck it will lead to a new form of propulsion

anojeezick

Empyrean Drums":2dy2bhp5 said:
It's a particle accelerator designed to perform experiments that will help us gain a greater understanding of universal forces. It's not a bunch of hooey, but the speed and forces are still no where close to a black hole.
With any luck it will lead to a new form of propulsion

Whoa. I was way off. That is some heavy shit. I'm gonna have to look it up now.

Mitchell?

Oh, I think I know what you mean.

It's like a massive underground complex, with a circular tube where they accelerate particles and smash 'em together to get a better understanding of subatomic particles, hopefully find that elusive 'God' particle.

Or something. :)

trstn

hooey.

I read the answers of a physicist working on there about it. Especially the thing with the "strange matter" made me smile.
Fears were about that the large hardonhihihi collider would produce "strange matter" and that nobody knows what would happen then.

something like:
"Oh, Strange Matter is a theoretical concept, we would be very glad to see some .. " :)

Still .. this device is large but does not "produce" or amplify any energy, so the most worst catastrophe you see in there is a very (extremly very) small flash. hehe .. Have a physicist around you who is able to explain things for "normal" people? Go make them post here :)

however .. FEAR THEEE THE WORLD IS ABOUT TO END mnnnghihihihihih .. and I'll rule thee then ... yep!

screamkevin

stop...Stop....STOP!!!!!

Head.....hurts...must.....post....this...before....aneurism....takes.....hold.....

dumbboards.jpg

a7xjlee

there also looking for that higgs bosson particle thing aka (god particle). i think its a load of poop , doubt anything will happen but even if it does i doubt that we would feel anything if the earth was sucked into a black whole that is if hawkings radiation doesnt starve it to death but hey anything can happen chances are im wrong after all im just some kid reading crap of the net :D

Empyrean Drums

I look at people who dismiss these experiments in the same regard as those who would accept Ra and his golden chariot as an explanation for how the sun passes over the sky.

It’s basically a giant maglev train in the shape of a donut. They create a vacuum in it and use magnets to accelerate particles. The general consensus was that the amount of matter and energy in the universe is constant. This of course just leaves the question-if matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, where did it come from? We are learning that there is a great amount of matter and energy that does not fit the traditional definition and as we learn more about these particles and forces through experiments with supercollider it helps us to better understand how matter and energy can be “created”.

xdoseonex

Mitchell?":xjq6s59d said:
Oh, I think I know what you mean.

It's like a massive underground complex, with a circular tube where they accelerate particles and smash 'em together to get a better understanding of subatomic particles, hopefully find that elusive 'God' particle.

Or something. :)

Sounds like your talking about the cern atom smashing facility