Kool Cymbal Combination

Spydr2000

I heard a really neat combination of cymbal stacking. A 10" splash and a 11" Zildjian trash splash stacked with a felt in between them so the cymbals do not touch. But when hitting them together they make a explosive splash sound.

I am a dedicated paiste user but going to bend my rule of using other brands to add this 11' trash splash to my set-up.

Also while attending the Mike Mangini drum clinic a few months ago he used a hi-hat combination of a 14" hi-hat top and a 16" trashformer bottom. I will also be adding this to my kit.

Mangini's Hi-hat

Shalaq

Many drummers use similar combinations of special hihats or stacks. Jojo Mayer uses a 15 inch china with a 13 inch hihat top.

phoenix7289

Yah... I wanna do something like a 16" hi hat... I think that would be crazy awesome.... wonder what 18" would be like! lol ^_<

JohnRobMHIM

how do you fellows get the money for those crazy cymbal set ups. that's gotta be silly expensive.

two sets of hihats and stands (prolly a remote trigger?) that's prolly more than my whole cymbal set up =[

I've got hihats, a 20 inch crash, a broken =[[ 21 (hopefully soon to be 22) inch ride, and a broken =[[[ china cymbal

that's like 1000 dollars, do you guys sell drugs or something? and if you do how do I get started, ha.

Spydr2000

JohnRobMHIM":p290pdd8 said:
how do you fellows get the money for those crazy cymbal set ups. that's gotta be silly expensive.

two sets of hihats and stands (prolly a remote trigger?) that's prolly more than my whole cymbal set up =[

I've got hihats, a 20 inch crash, a broken =[[ 21 (hopefully soon to be 22) inch ride, and a broken =[[[ china cymbal

that's like 1000 dollars, do you guys sell drugs or something? and if you do how do I get started, ha.
Well I'm 36 have a great job and good credit. I usually buy my gear online getting 0% interest for 12 months and pay it off in that period of time. But when I was younger my parents tried their best to get me the things I wanted for my kit. I couldn't wait until I was old enough to work and thats when I started buying all kinds of gear. I must have bought 12 different kits through the years. I also lucked out and played in bands that made some serious cash that bought me lots of equipment. So if your young and want these things, set goals try to think of ways you could go about getting the things you want.

PaulZILLA

well i get alot of off brand stands/parts online really cheap. like Peace remote hi hat stands. they arent bad. and i get some lower level cymbals for experimental setups. and i have some funny setups i use sometimes too. a 14in wuhan china as a bottom hi hat and a 14 in thin crash thats vented as top. sick effects i can get there. ive also used a 12in china-splash as a bottom hi hat and a 12 in s splash as a top. that was really fun. ive done some cheap ones and got some of my favorite and most liked by others effects like a 12in china-splash as bottom hi hat and a 12 in skill saw blade as a top. thats a very fun one

screamkevin

JohnRobMHIM,

I (like Spyder) am in my mid/late 30s and have good credit. My car is paid for, I own my own home, and have worked to stay out of debt. For me, it's about buying what I need, and staying away from what I don't. I shop around for the best deals (*coughDalesDrumShop,Harrisburgcough*), and again, stay away from what I don't need.

I would love to have my kit be the same configuration that I currently have, only in Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, but my venerable Stage Customs are doing just fine, thank you, and kick major amounts of ass. I don't need a new kit, so I stay away from it.

Drumming is a financial investment, so the key is to purchase what you can live with and what you can afford, and save your cake to invest in upgrades as you progress in your drumming career. Remember, be smart with your money, and you'll have the gear you want in time.

anavrinIV

im only 17 but i took the initiative to get a full time summer job doing electrical work and, with no bills to pay, i was able to do my first big upgrade on my own dime and it felt great....but mind you i had to do maual labor for 8 hours a day in sometimes 100+ degree heat to do it. through that i got my spaun snare a a few very nice cymbals. its not easy to get the money to do a ton of stuff with drums but its also not as hard as you think.

ive played around with a 12" wuhan as a bottom hat and a 10" splash as a top hat and it can make some pretty fun sounds, but its not for everything. if you want to try some different sounds out i suggest you play around with the cymbals you already have. it may not be much but you never know what might happen.