Knuckle

Jaydrummer1987

Ok I keep hitting my knuckle and it fucking hurts, (probably fractured after hitting it like 12 time in 3 months)
Am I playing sloppy? is there something I can do with my snare? or is it just because I'm playing ALOT harder?

Any advice would be great.

drummert2k

Jaydrummer1987":2ti5x5y0 said:
Ok I keep hitting my knuckle and it fucking hurts, (probably fractured after hitting it like 12 time in 3 months)
Am I playing sloppy? is there something I can do with my snare? or is it just because I'm playing ALOT harder?

Any advice would be great.
you just need to work on your control and technique. hitting your knuckle results from basically just swinging at the drum. if your hitting it on your snare then you either really choke up on your stick holding up really high or you're not hitting the center of the drum. or you use really short sticks.

lay your stick on the drum so the bead is in the center of the head. then wrap your hand around it with your normal grip. you should have at least 2 or 3 inches between your knuckles and the rim. so its time to play target practice and work on a solid stroke to the center of the head. no more bleeding knuckles.

JakyltheRipper

I did that a few times when i first got my new drumset, but it was only because my snare was in a weird position. It was set really high up than what i was used to playing. So i just set it lower to where it was comfortable (im a short guy) and it never happened again.
Maybe just try setting your snare higher or lower. If all else fails, wear padded gloves? lol

anavrinIV

i agree with drummert2k, work on proper stick technique and hitting the center of the drum.

ive never had the problem of hitting my knuckles, i think ive done it maybe twice in almost 4 years. the problem i have is hitting my left thumb nail with my right stick...that sucks...a lot.

Jaydrummer1987

Brilliant, well I've tried Raising my snare so the top rim to about the same height as my waist, where as before it was quite low down, I'll try working on my stick tecnique ( I've never had lessons so I don't know whats right or wrong) The only annoying thing is I've been playing fot two years, and it's only started happening since I've been getting better grrr.
I think if I hit my nuckle again I might just cry, hmmm I wonder if my first tattoo is gonna hurt as much as my nuckle.

drummert2k

Jaydrummer1987":3mq2equd said:
hmmm I wonder if my first tattoo is gonna hurt as much as my nuckle.
just a warning, i've nailed my knuckles a few times so i know the feeling. and i'd take knuckle busting over getting the inside of my fore arm inked up again. its a bit tender in that area.

iatemygoat

a buddy of mine used to bust his knuckle open all the time and had a few pairs of pants with blood stains all over them haha.

keep working on stick technique and find a good snare position

CRAIGVT

I had a problem with that in high school. When I marched(don't laugh and don't ask to see a pic), I carried tritoms. I'd do well for the first couple miles, then as I got tired I'd get sloppy. That uniform will never be right again lol. I had blood up my sleeves and all over the heads. As you are getting better, you are probabaly playing longer without blisters, but as you arms start to tire, or you play too fast for your own good, you're getting sloppy. Work on your dexterity and take breaks a little more often. If you're playing as hard as it sounds you are, you're killing yourself and losing your accuracy.

mapexdrummer

an easy and effective way for me [cuz ive fractured my knuckle before] is to move back....if your snare is right at ur crotch then u need to move back...if that is still happening try to raise ur hats..if that doesnt work choke back on ur stix

matt

i hit my knuckles sumtimes because i use my china alot and my crash is right next to it and it hits sumtimes :[

Jaydrummer1987

Coool cheers guys all of the above is really helpful. I've moved back from my snare and raised it a bit. My hats are as high as possible lol they were like that anyways. but good news is i'm not smashing my nuckle as much.
And I had my tattoo done is stung like a bitch but its all good now :D:D:D

stump

Sounds to me like you are playing with your knuckles turned down. Try the old drum corps sticking technique of playing with your knuckles turned up. May feel funny at first but will improve your sticking and chops and keep the knuckles from bleeding. You might also try tilting your snare towards you a bit. Good luck.