Kick it up another notch?

keith bushey

How many of you out there will lay down a new cover song your band is practicing, and want to kick up the drum tab a hair? I know I do! I always keep the content of the song, but love to add my flair to it. My band mates like the fact I can "step out of the box" and spice things up a bit.
Does anyone else out there feel the same?

Airborne Ranger

The band I most often play out with is an acoustic band but we still do covers, so we have to adapt the music to acoustic guitars and often hand drums, so yes I always keep the vibe of the original song but change things to make it work with acoustic guitars. It's not always easy to do but it does get very interesting when we cover Metallica's "Sad But True" and Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on acoustic guitars/bass, hand drums and a flutist.

break the prism

i think that playing a cover song exactly like the original is kind of pointless (unless you're in a cover band)

i think that it's very important to put your own spin on a cover. it's just like when modern composers do renditions of classical music.

Drumosaurus

in my band we do mostly old green day cause thats about as high our singer can sing. I've never played welcome to paradise the same way twice.

SocKeT

I think if your in a cover band its good to stay close to the original, but if its an original band i think it important to twist it a little as long as its for the better

dwtoast72

keith bushey":3gikd485 said:
How many of you out there will lay down a new cover song your band is practicing, and want to kick up the drum tab a hair? I know I do! I always keep the content of the song, but love to add my flair to it. My band mates like the fact I can "step out of the box" and spice things up a bit.
Does anyone else out there feel the same?
I feel that it is the responsibility of each "cover band" to do this, to add that bit of flair... I don't think that the focus she be displaying that you have the ability to perform a tune exactly how the origianl artist did it. Rather you she be expressing your imagination and creativity while performing someone else's work of art... Noone should play in a cover bacnd forever. Van Halen was picked up as a top 40 band, if I recall accurately...
Hey, I've done it... Took Michelle Branch's Everything and punked it out... Pink's "let's get this party started" and through metal chips into the filter... took Nelly Furtado's "I'm like a bird" and rocked it the hell out... amongst many others.. So long as you give credit where credit is due...

dwtoast72

okjohne":7xifoa56 said:
I did not know there was "old Green Day". Is that the garage sessions way back in 2000.
wow, dude....is green day actually before your time??????? I'm getting friggin old!!

rufus4dagruv

break the prism":2vywbsj3 said:
no. NO!

green day goes back to 1987. they didn't start to suck until around 2000.

how old are you?
Hahaha! If I would have been drinking my coffee when I read this, it would've been all over my monitor!

xdoseonex

Drumosaurus":1z6803qd said:
in my band we do mostly old green day cause thats about as high our singer can sing. I've never played welcome to paradise the same way twice.
theres some kida in my practice space that play tha song constantly. maybe its you

xdoseonex

okjohne":1hk103ah said:
I did not know there was "old Green Day". Is that the garage sessions way back in 2000.
well considering dookie was in '94 and hey had 1,039 smoothed out slappy hours and kerplunk before that theres definatley old greenday. I accually liked eveything they did. i liked nimrod alot. warning had to grow on my but now i love it. american idiot has alwaus ben kinda hard to listen to me. but when i try to appreiciate it i seee that all the things that made me love green day are accually stil there. and there playng style is stillvery much the same. that aside i think that bande needs to take a step back and look what theyre turing into. trey is such an awesome drummer and he was always a huge influence. i thin greenday is one of the best bands ever

m

we used to twist most of the covers we played, to make them more of an homage to artists we like.
In the case of any Rush, King Crimson, or older Yes tunes, I usually tried to stick as close as possible to the original parts, because I like them so much and they're enough fun to play as is.

I kind of miss having a few tribute-type songs in the sets

Timekeep69

dwtoast72":2zonl0b8 said:
okjohne":2zonl0b8 said:
wow, dude....is green day actually before your time??????? I'm getting friggin old!!
LOL...I hear ya. I had to sit my 13 year old down and explain to her that Green Day did not originate punk. I then opened her eyes to Black Flag, the Sex Pistols, and The Ramones.

m

how 'bout some Bad Brains?
what genre was Fugazi considered? Not that it matters, I dig 'em anyway