Kick drum tuning..

twokickdrums

Jus curious as to how ya'll are tuning ur kicks..
I seem to always like looser tuning for feel and tighter tuning for speed..
depending on the style im playin..
Thanx

EOTE_drummer

i usually have mine the same way. but just asking, isn't FIST already a band? because that was one of the names on supergroup. and jason bonham was the drummer. (john bonham's son :D )

Beej

Yeah, I like mine tuned really low as to help provide that heavy thump that hits you in the chest. I just take the slack out of the head and maybe turn them another half turn. I encourage all drummers to find their own sound for each drum they are comfy with.

stump

I tune my batter head at a medium tension for thump and the res head a little tighter to reduce the vibration. Peace.

EOTE_drummer

some people say keep ur batter as loose as it can go without making a dead sound, and keep ur reso a little tighter than that. but their is really no wrong way 2 tune, its just personal preference. u can tune BAD... but.. u get what im saying.

break the prism

i have the batter head tuned a full step lower than my floor tom.
the resonant head is tuned significantly tighter. i usually make it one and two full steps tighter.

brownpaiste

i have always tuned high, until recently (when i went to a couple clinics) they prefer a looser head. even with fast double bass. your strokes should be definate enough to play through a loose head.

if you wanna try the best head to go for is the EVAN emad

just keep in mind the head does wear out faster if loose. make sure the front head is tighten so the sound doesnt cancel itself

Spydr2000

I tune my batter head really loose just enough to keep the tension rods from coming loose, and the resonate side the same way and I also use some type of muffling depending on the drum. Different things work better in different drums. I recommend the DW bass drum pillow for smaller drums like 20, 22's and blankets for 24 and 26" drums. I don't kill the head with muffling just enough to give it punch.