Kick drum muffler?

Masterthief24

Has anyone had good experiences with a specific kind of kick drum muffler? All I have inside my kicks are a small blanket each, but I've heard some good things about heads that come with mufflers built in.

Does anyone know what brand makes these heads?

And does anyone know of a muffler that isn't attatched to the head that does a good job?

Masterthief24

Thanks alot for replying. I think I'm just going to rely on Musician's friend once again XD. Maybe some Aquarians with a double Evans click pad...

TamaSwngstr121

Evans EMAD...interchangable dampening rings on the outside of the head that u can switch without removing it...i play it and it sounds awesome, give it a try!!!!

dougthedrummer

For a muffler I use a few pieces of stryafoam egg carton material wrapped in side my kick.It sets right agains kick on edges and gives a nice deep sound without losing the resonance of a blanket.

AMTJake

I use the emad, don't bother with the emad resonant head though...it's worthless. The beater side emad is great though. I also throw in a small blanket and it sounds kickass.

opethmurillo05

the remo pwer stroke 3 bass head comes kinda muffed and remo also has a new head i forgot wut its called but nothing really beats a pillow or blanket in the drum

Spydr2000

opethmurillo05":7s2s5nsw said:
the remo pwer stroke 3 bass head comes kinda muffed and remo also has a new head i forgot wut its called but nothing really beats a pillow or blanket in the drum
I agree !!! pillow or blanket. I think any bass drum sound like crap with one of these new heads w/o muffling. I don't know for sure it might work good on a small drum such as a 20"kick but I doubt it. The only thing I notice with these heads like the Aquarian and remo powerstoke heads with a pillow or blanket these things do wonders for the drum. I like the DW muffling pillow but it always doesn't do the trick depending on the drum, all drums are different. I think you get a more clean defined sound and more control playing off a head that has been muffled with a pillow. These rings that evans has are a good idea but you can really hear the beater being held into the head choking the sound, not my idea of a good kick drum sound. Another thing is no muffling... soundman will gate the hell out of it... that means anything hit slightly soft will not be heard.

Mikkey

I like the Aquarian Regulator on the resonant side (finely tuned) and either a SK 1 or SK 2 on the beater side. Little bit more of a boom than a thud though. Other muffling? Pillows are okay but a really insane experience is to put feathers in the bottom of your bass. Maybe not for everyones taste but I thought it sounded interesting.

Spydr2000

Mikkey":2v0xkg5h said:
I like the Aquarian Regulator on the resonant side (finely tuned) and either a SK 1 or SK 2 on the beater side. Little bit more of a boom than a thud though. Other muffling? Pillows are okay but a really insane experience is to put feathers in the bottom of your bass. Maybe not for everyones taste but I thought it sounded interesting.
Depending on the music, but for rock music I like a real tight bass drum with low end body. I really think the boomy bass is for something like jazz.

PaulZILLA

i use an Aquarian Super Kick 1 on batter. and an Aquarian Regulator Small Port on reso. you dont need to dampen/muffle them. they are loud though lol. if you want it quiet. use a Super Kick 2. if you want low punch and good volume use a Texture Coated Super Kick 1. works great. drumbum.com has an external muffler i want to try. http://store.drumbum.com/skuA-127.html i duno how good it is. but i wana try it. and get that pillow out of my b ass lol. i figure an external would be more reliable. i just dont want to mar up my hoops.

Mikkey

Spydr2000":3dy9vtbu said:
Mikkey":3dy9vtbu said:
Depending on the music, but for rock music I like a real tight bass drum with low end body. I really think the boomy bass is for something like jazz.
Actually people from the rock music realm recommended this combo to me. If you read SK2 reviews almost all the people that review it are from the "hard and heavy" music genres.

will_weathers

the evans emad or the aquarian super kick, are two good bass drum heads that have muffling built in. I use an unmuffled beater head, but to give it a full sound, dont put blankets in the drum, just a thin towel taped up against the head. but the tape is just to hold it up, not to muffle the head itsself. just enough to hold it up there.

EKoolaidsDrummer

Got a good Idea from Horacio Hernandez......

A small sheet of Acoustic foam...
I lived by it (up until the EMAD came out......)

I bought some and used ONE LAYER to cover the bottom THIRD of the shell...

It sounded GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

Very Punchy, not a lot of tone unless you tuned it low........

haylo

Be careful about dropping $30-50 for built in muffling. Yeah, a lot of people like them, but there is an element of gimmick to those things. Think about it. They're selling you a head...with some kind of various material touching it/mounted on it....which...you...can...do...yourself--with more control! I've tried the Aquarian Superkick, and the Evans Emad.....I just didn't like the sound, seems too dead, dull. I don't like the idea of a big ring stuck on a drum head. Not to argue with anyone who recommends them. Kick drum sound is personal preference, and kinda hard to explain over the internet!

The towel idea, in the above post, can work very well.

I've had the best luck using some kind of very soft fabric and just letting it gently touch the heads. Right now I have an old folded t-shirt lightly touching either kick head...it sounds natural, and muted enough so that it doesn't sound like a tom.

Another thing that sounds nice: I went to Wal-Mart and bought the softest material I could find, it's kinda fuzzy, I think it's called fleece. Had my girlfriend sew 2 little pillows out of it, not huge, maybe 10 inches square.....she LIGHTLY put a small amount of stuffing/filler in them (when I say LIGHTLY I mean the pillows were still basically soft and limp, not big + overstuffed. You really want it flimsy). I just put em in either side of my bass drum so that they're just barely resting on the head--you could use tape or a little Velcro to fasten them to the bottom of your bass drum. They look nice (black)....and the drum sounds FAT. Cost well under $10.

I don't know how to sew, but it looked to me like she just threaded all around the edge of the fabric, then turned it inside out--put a little stuffing in it, and threaded the rest of the opening back up.

One more point I might add to help you realize you don't need to spend a lot of money on professional systems. I saw Jimmy Chamberlin play several times last year. I went up to his kit to look at it...inside the bass drum was a folded up baby blanket with little cartoon patterns on it! (I'm pretty sure it didn't come from Guitar Center, lol!)