Keller Shells

Timekeep69

I find it funny how people talk about Keller Shells. You would think that they were the worst shells ever made. I understand that pretty much all custom companies use Keller shells but few people realize that the material is not the only factor that goes into making a good sounding drum. Workmanship is the key. I've seen amazing drums and crappy drums made from keller shells.

Also, re-sale value is not a factor in custom drums if you really think about it. If you're going to pay for a kit custom made to your specs, why would you plan on selling it? If your tastes change that drastically that often, don't buy one.

Keller makes some great shells or else no one would use them.

DrumsPlus

I agree. I've made a few snares myself and have never been satisfied with the outcome. A majority used Keller maple shells. There are some out there that are true artist and they can put a stamp on what they do. I can't work with wood, I know this about myself, but I can get everything they can and try to make a kit. I can use all the same equipment and everything, I bet they would still turn out like crap.

I welded for 7 years, doing proto-type welding on Bicycles at the end of my welding career. Even though all the welders in my facility used the same equipment, material and tools, not one of us welded or where as accomplish as another. I think it's the same in this industry.

Timekeep69

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire":pshbbsuv said:
+1

couldn't have said it better myself.
Dude, you're post in the Battlefield Drum thread is one of the reasons I posted this.

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire":pshbbsuv said:
seriously... all of that for keller shells...

SGarrett

Yeah, those are like the people who swear up and down that DW shells are crap.

Keller shells are nice, but they just aren't the end-all-be-all of drum shells. I don't think that even exists.

DrumsPlus

SGarrett":2grf68jj said:

Keller shells are nice, but they just aren't the end-all-be-all of drum shells. I don't think that even exists.
Just wondering if the PDP LX shells are Keller? Someone told me that recently and I thought DW still made their own for that line.

SGarrett

DrumsPlus":19mpcf1s said:
SGarrett":19mpcf1s said:

Just wondering if the PDP LX shells are Keller? Someone told me that recently and I thought DW still made their own for that line.
They're PDP shells unless they've started using Keller. That would seem like a step backwards for DW as the parent company. I can try to get in touch with a rep and get a solid answer though.

DrumsPlus

SGarrett":tb2e8qgn said:
DrumsPlus":tb2e8qgn said:
SGarrett":tb2e8qgn said:

They're PDP shells unless they've started using Keller. That would seem like a step backwards for DW as the parent company. I can try to get in touch with a rep and get a solid answer though.
That would be cool. I know my older kit was a has a DW shell, but like I said I was looking at another kit for my son in the future when someone told me that.

SGarrett

DrumsPlus":1n6ns10f said:
That would be cool. I know my older kit was a has a DW shell, but like I said I was looking at another kit for my son in the future when someone told me that.
Alrighty, eMail sent to Scott Cameron at DW.

dedrummervanrolf

yeah, seriously, what is the deal with Keller and DW. I've heard several stories about DW actually being Keller, and vice versa. I know that they make their own shells for the PDP drums, with other plies, woods and crafts, but if DW actually is Keller, doesn't that make PDP shells Keller shells as well? Just other ones? I'm confused.

Timekeep69

DW used Keller shells until approx 2000 then they started making their own. I'm pretty sure PDP makes their own as well.

dedrummervanrolf

OK, so Keller IS an indepedent factory? I've spoken to this guy from England, who builds drums proffessionally, for Jalapeno Drums (pretty sick drums btw), and he was kinda weird about it in my opinion, but maybe I just got him wrong..

Timekeep69

Keller actually makes wood and plastic products, plywood cylinders being one of them. They're not a drum company, they only make drum shells.

Timekeep69":2kl1mzis said:
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire":2kl1mzis said:
+1

couldn't have said it better myself.
Dude, you're post in the Battlefield Drum thread is one of the reasons I posted this.

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire":2kl1mzis said:
seriously... all of that for keller shells...

whatever floats your boat i guess.

you yourself said they were pricey.

according to their site, a basic 4 piece kit (22, 16, 12, 14 snare) would run a brotha $3,700 for their level 1 kit (basic wrap or satin finish) i understand materials are only a portion of what determines a price, but that's insane...

wrapping a kit, while requiring skill, is not rocket science. does wrapping a kit, cutting some bearing edges and drilling some holes warrant that kind of scratch? that's open to debate, i suppose.

their drums are expensive. overly so, if you ask me.

while i've never played medicine man drums, i can trust with all the raves on this site, that your work is top notch, yet you charge, from all accounts, much, much less than a company like battlefield.

if people are willing to shell out nearly 4k for a kit medicine man could make for half (sorry, just a guess), more power to them. i just think they're more than likely pissing money away over the logo on their bass drum head.

anyway...

my comments and +1 was directed more towards this line:

Timekeep69":2kl1mzis said:
You would think that they were the worst shells ever made.
i think keller shells are great, but in the battle of 'custom drums' often get slagged, though mostly on an indirect level.

Timekeep69

I'm not arguing that they're over priced. I'm the first one who said it. My point was you said "for Keller shells."

If they make their drums sound better than any other company then they can charge that much but I'm talking about workmanship, not material. I make my drums affordable for a few reasons.

1. I don't think you should have to sell your soul for a drum kit.
2. I don't have any overhead because I do it from home.

These companies that charge high prices have more costs than I do. Employees, commercial property rent, ego, etc.

You can take two identical keller shells and have two people with differnt levels of experience make the same drum with the same hardware and have two different sounding drums. Once again.....workmanship.

Timekeep69":2miga5x9 said:
I'm not arguing that they're over priced. I'm the first one who said it. My point was you said "for Keller shells."

If they make their drums sound better than any other company then they can charge that much but I'm talking about workmanship, not material. I make my drums affordable for a few reasons.

1. I don't think you should have to sell your soul for a drum kit.
2. I don't have any overhead because I do it from home.

These companies that charge high prices have more costs than I do. Employees, commercial property rent, ego, etc.

You can take two identical keller shells and have two people with differnt levels of experience make the same drum with the same hardware and have two different sounding drums. Once again.....workmanship.
yeah... i guess when i say something like "for keller shells" i say that because i know, having built a few kits myself, what keller shells cost... and what the hardware they're using costs... and that's not even taking in to consideration any sort of volume discount.

i totally respect your ethic. i too agree a person shouldn't have to sell their souls for a nice kit... to me, companies like battlefield gear their kits towards the hot topic generation... they're a hip company complete with mall punk t-shirts.... and while their kits certainly look great, it seems their prices stem more from their popularity and hipness then their craftsmanship.

i don't fault them for charging what they do. hell... if people want to pay that, good for them... but i'd much rather give my money to someone like yourself who make make me a kit of equal quality for much less...

SGarrett

Timekeep69":djylesg3 said:
The funniest thing is that the Hot Topic crowd can't even afford that.
I've noticed that the Hot Topic crowd tends to get picked up from the mall in brand new $80k+ BMWs, Benz's, or Porsches.

Brother_Bong

Correct me if I'm wrong PJ, but both of the snares that I bought, were sculpted by you from Kellers, right? Those drums are top of the line, not totally chokin your chicken, but the old saying goes, "you can't polish a turd"? Right? My point is that in order to achieve a positive result, one must at least start with quality stock.
'