just stuff i thought i should know

Jake_DK

ok so ive been playin drums for about 5 years now and im self-taught and iv always wanted to know

1. how do you tune drums?( i know how to but like im confused on how to make them sound clear)
2. which drum heads are better coated or not?
3. why are ddrum drum sets bad?
4. why do my drums sound different when i tune them off the drums than when i put them on?

Rockula!

1- Start with the "batter" or top head first and lighten the tension rods finger tight all around the head
Try to start with no bottom head or you can mute the bottom head by placing the drum on a carpet or towel etc...
Instead of tightening the lugs one after the other, criss cross your drum so that the opposite side gets tuned next
Turn the tension rods in small incraments so as to evenly apply pressure on the head
Tune the top head to the note you want
Repeat the same steps on the bottom
The bottom head is meant to be a "complimentary" note to the top
Try different variations like tuning above, below or even match the note of the batter head

2-I prefer uncoated heads but that is only because I want the ringiest brightest sound possible
To understand what you want to go with, just understand what the coating on a head does
Coating was originally applied to plastic heads to give it the same texture as calf skin heads
However, the other result is that it can warm up the sound as well as apply an even muffling agent uniformly (SP?) over the head
Heads may be expensive, but it helps to experiment around until you find the heads that are right for you
Don't let anyone chose your sound but do take every possible person's advice

3-I have no experience with DDrum but have heard that they are like any other brand in that you get what you pay for
If the set is cheap then you have your answer

4-I am assuming you are referring to your toms so I will go from there
When you pick up a drum and strike it, pretty much everyone naturally picks it up by the rim
However, if you have mounting hardware that is attatched to the shell, it is not the same thing
What is happening is that the mounting hardware mounted to the shell restricts the natural vibrations (especially when clamped onto a fixed object like a stand or bass drum) whereas holding the tom by the rim does not choke the sound as much
The first product to use the idea to mount the drum by the rim was (obviously) called R.I.M.S.
This was the most significant innovation in drums in recent memory
Now there are so many rim mounted systems that one can scarcely keep up
Plus, the patent ran out on R.I.M.S. so there are also tons of clones
This type of mounting system is very inexpensive and easy to install

If you don't know how, just take your smallest drum to your local store (hopefully, there's more than just a Guitar Center in your town)
If the person selling you the equipment cannot take the time to show you how to use it, then they do not deserve your money
While you're at it, you can get them to explain the tuning tips as well
Nothing beats seeing it with your own eyes

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions (especially from someone you are giving your money to)

Howepirate

WTF :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: DDRUMS LOW END SETS ARE LOW END

JUST LIKE ANY OTHER MANUFACTURER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockula!

Rockula!":2v6vb8ra said:
3-I have no experience with DDrum but have heard that they are like any other brand in that you get what you pay for
If the set is cheap then you have your answer

drummert2k

Howepirate":2wzrntqc said:
WTF :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: DDRUMS LOW END SETS ARE LOW END

JUST LIKE ANY OTHER MANUFACTURER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ddrum is a good company. its just their diablo line that is crap. other than that, pretty great drums.