Just did some studio time.....

TamaDude

Went into the studio to record some tracks for a friend of mine who is forming an rock instrumental band. He plays lead and rhythm guitar and his brother plays bass. The drums sound killer!! The link below is the first track we did. It's just drums, bass, and guitars doing strait up rock n roll. The lead track has not been recorded yet. This was recorded in a home studio finished basement with 7ft ceilings using a scaled down version of ProTools. You've got to listen to this through some good speakers!

The fills in the breaks were charted on purpose to match what the lead guitar track will be. We also still need to add some Hammond B3 in there. It's going to be a three song demo.

I used my Platinum SCM kit for this and GOD I love power toms! :D Sennheiser 421's were used on the toms, Audix D6 for the kic with a D1 on the beater side, Audix D1 & D3 for the snare, and MXL 603's for overheads. Surprisingly there was very little EQ used on the toms/kick, but they are compressed and slightly gated.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Copy n paste:
www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=audio&file=02_ Rock_Instrumental_1.mp3

Mitchell?

Dude, that sounds great. I love the sound of the drums, and your drumming is uber-tasty :)
The way you highlight the guitar parts but still lay down a deep groove is great.

All around, I love it.

By the way, the guitarists rigs sound great too.

FelterSkelter

Nice groove. The sound quality is stellar on every instrument (esp. drums).

Did you use ProTools LE??? Mbox or Digi rack?

All we have at home is the MBox and that's what we use on all the "Space Lounge" recordings. It's a little extra work but it's definitely not impossible to achieve a good mix this way.

Tight.

Brother_Bong

I like it. I couldn't hear the bass drum as well, but I'm only listening through my laptop speakers. Groovy none the less.

TamaDude

FelterSkelter":155xeaqx said:
Nice groove. The sound quality is stellar on every instrument (esp. drums).

Did you use ProTools LE??? Mbox or Digi rack?

All we have at home is the MBox and that's what we use on all the "Space Lounge" recordings. It's a little extra work but it's definitely not impossible to achieve a good mix this way.

Tight.

Thanks everyone for the comments!!

I believe it was ProTools LE, but don't hold me to it. This guy had a ton of lug ins too. The thing that kills me is that the overheads were like $100 for the stereo pair and the cymbals just sparkle. I just picked up a set myself after I heard the recording. There's no mic on the ride, and like I said before there was very little EQ used.... jusr some preset patches that we tweaked.

Someone sent me a PM about the heads I used... Evans all the way around. EC2 on the toms, EMAD2 on the kick, PowerCenter on the snare.

Seriously, get this thing pumpin through some good speakers and you'll hear the kick plenty! :D

Thanks again guys!

NH

Scrogs":3n4786ad said:
Good job dude. Sounds good and had me tappin my foot.

same.

its real good, when my band properly sorts itself out and my guitarist stops skipping practices becaus eof his girlfriend or because hes drunk, we're gonna do instrumentals only. no singing. can you get far with just instrumentals?

TamaDude

Just received the email with another song I did a while back, prior to the rock track. This time it's jazz.... The sax track still needs to be done. It was played to a conga/perc loop and in total it's a 9min song. However, around 6m we bring it down a bit and then I work into soloing over the top. The producer said to leave space and make it sound like a fireworks show. :)

Enjoy.

http://mp3space.com/file/47061/05_jazz_instrumental