Just a reminder......Death is always close

Brother_Bong

Well, dear forum folks, ya'll almost lost me the other day. Around 8:00am Wed I nearly bit the big one at work. Anyone familiar with welding knows that we use grinders quite a lot (its a tool that uses a 5in wheel that spins at up to 20000 rpms and cuts steel very fast). Well I had an .045 wheel on mine cutting into a pipe, and the bastard kicked on me. The result 25 stitches across the front of my neck, just missing my Jugular, and nearly cutting through my Trachea. In my near death state my mind shot to this forum, and how much I would miss it, being dead and all. But God willing, I'm still here. This is in no way an invite to a pity party, thats not my style. Merely a call from me to all of you to be careful in every thing that you do. I may post pictures on my my space the next time the bandages are off, I'll keep ya'll posted. Glad to still be here!

AGAIN, BE SAFE!

BONG :shock:

rufus4dagruv

Bong":1me6ehx9 said:
Well, dear forum folks, ya'll almost lost me the other day. Around 8:00am Wed I nearly bit the big one at work. Anyone familiar with welding knows that we use grinders quite a lot (its a tool that uses a 5in wheel that spins at up to 20000 rpms and cuts steel very fast). Well I had an .045 wheel on mine cutting into a pipe, and the bastard kicked on me. The result 25 stitches across the front of my neck, just missing my Jugular, and nearly cutting through my Trachea. In my near death state my mind shot to this forum, and how much I would miss it, being dead and all. But God willing, I'm still here. This is in no way an invite to a pity party, thats not my style. Merely a call from me to all of you to be careful in every thing that you do. I may post pictures on my my space the next time the bandages are off, I'll keep ya'll posted. Glad to still be here!

AGAIN, BE SAFE!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dude, that's terrible! I don't even know what to say. I'm glad you're still here, no question. The sick part of me really wants to see the stitches, though. At least you'll have a bad a$$ looking scar when it's all said and done.

Timekeep69

Wow! I'm happy to hear you're still breathing!

I ride my motorcycle to work every morning, if I had a dime for every time someone has nearly taken me out...I wouldn't have to go to work.

Brother_Bong

Pics are up. Go to the bngrzn hyperlink below, in pics click on "don't try this at home". They aren't too gross, but they are a little scary. :wink:
Thanks for the responses guys, glad I'm here to read em. :D

Airborne Ranger

Wow! Glad to see you're ok! Makes you think about what's really important in life. I've been there a few times. I've had my arm blown apart and thought I was dead for sure, I started getting the chills (in 120 degree heat) and had a cold sweat, vision was blurry, sure signs of shock from blood loss all while holding my arm together. I've been shot twice too, once through the side window of our Humvee, ricocheted off the door sill through my upper arm and grazed my right cheek and another time in my right thigh during a firefight in a 10' water pipe (the Republican Guard were using underground water pipes for movement and supply, so we were sent in to cut them off just outside of Baghdad). All went through the muscle, (that's actually a GOOD thing) so I was able to slow the blood. Had my nose broken badly too (by far the most painful wound). Anyway, I'm very happy you are doing well and know what is really important to you.

Brother_Bong

Airborne Ranger":22zsz8du said:
Wow! Glad to see you're ok! Makes you think about what's really important in life. I've been there a few times. I've had my arm blown apart and thought I was dead for sure, I started getting the chills (in 120 degree heat) and had a cold sweat, vision was blurry, sure signs of shock from blood loss all while holding my arm together. I've been shot twice too, once through the side window of our Humvee, ricocheted off the door sill through my upper arm and grazed my right cheek and another time in my right thigh during a firefight in a 10' water pipe (the Republican Guard were using underground water pipes for movement and supply, so we were sent in to cut them off just outside of Baghdad). All went through the muscle, (that's actually a GOOD thing) so I was able to slow the blood. Had my nose broken badly too (by far the most painful wound). Anyway, I'm very happy you are doing well and know what is really important to you.
Holy crap dude, you've been torn up! Glad you are still kicking! And to you, and all that have/are serving....THANK YOU! Hate the war-not the soldier :!:

Airborne Ranger

Thank you, having such support means so much to the soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines serving. It's the one thing that gets you through the horror of war. I realize that not everyone supports the war but we have to support our servicemen and women, they are doing their job. Two weeks ago I attended the funeral of a member of my Ranger platoon, he took his own life, suffering from post traumatic stress. All wounds are not like mine, some are wounded in ways you can't see. I'm not saying this to be a downer, quite the opposite. You are now well aware to enjoy every single minute you have and if there is ANYTHING you want to do, do it now! Go back to school, get that degree, pursue a better career, ask her out, forgive someone, tell someone you love them, or get active in your community or church, anything. There are only so many tommorrows. It took nearly getting killed for me to realize that.

FiestyRedDrummEr

Holy!
Wow Bong, What a scary thing. Glad to know you are safe! Life is often taken for granted until you have it thrown back in your face. I'm glad you are okay.

break the prism

Shit, man. I feel what's going on with that. I got a job at a machining factory last year and a 3x5" cut of steel that i was milling flew right through the glass pane and right into my chest. I ended up with a broken rib and chemical burns from the coolant inside the machine. Work injuries, man. They're the worst. I hope you can recover fast and get back to drumming!

SINISTER

Haha, hey bro WHAT DOESN'T KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER!!!!!!!!!! Near death experiences make you appreciate life a little more.

Binkx

Bong":1b6mmf73 said:

AGAIN, BE SAFE!

well being a fellow welder I have seen similar accidents happen. Myself I have ground my hand really bad right to the bone. It was so bad you could actually see the 3 knuckle bones and all the meat and everything. No problems with it now. I also see a dud cut right through his chest with one of those suckers and it did major damage. You could actually see his rib cage and everything, There was a ton of blood but he made it. He did quit afterwards.
Well you know the rules, keep the wounds clean and very dry. Do you need Physo after this?

Brother_Bong

Binkx":1crtaegk said:
Bong":1crtaegk said:

AGAIN, BE SAFE!

well being a fellow welder I have seen similar accidents happen. Myself I have ground my hand really bad right to the bone. It was so bad you could actually see the 3 knuckle bones and all the meat and everything. No problems with it now. I also see a dud cut right through his chest with one of those suckers and it did major damage. You could actually see his rib cage and everything, There was a ton of blood but he made it. He did quit afterwards.
Well you know the rules, keep the wounds clean and very dry. Do you need Physo after this?
No, thankfully. Just a little R&R. A few beers, and the love of a good woman. Yeah a lot of people don't realize the hazards of our trade. Be safe my brother.

Binkx

The most painful injuries for me include
1. Burnt groin. Yes I actually burnt my groin!
2. Many shattered hands.
3. A sledge hammer to the head, It wasn't hard but it rung my bell and got me a weeks worth of vacation from hell.
4. Mig wire in the thigh that ran from my hip down to the knee. I screamed bloody blue murder and the guy just stood there with the trigger pulled! Then get this he wanted me to lean into the goround to cauterize the wound then pull the wire out. Well to the hospital both of us went....

mortem

Airborne Ranger":ln6658zp said:
You are now well aware to enjoy every single minute you have and if there is ANYTHING you want to do, do it now! Go back to school, get that degree, pursue a better career, ask her out, forgive someone, tell someone you love them, or get active in your community or church, anything. There are only so many tomorrows. It took nearly getting killed for me to realize that.
I feel ya, brother, great advice... and while we're at it -

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0NZJz27cHJg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0NZJz27cHJg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I'm real glad to hear you're okay, Bong... peace