Juicy news about NAMM 09, new pedals from Tama and Pearl

Multibomber

Tama just discontinued the Iron Cobras as of Jan. 2nd, which can only mean they have something new coming out for NAMM. Some think the Cobra Coil was beta testing for a new concept, but no one knows what.

Pearl is releasing a new pedal called the Demon Drive. Its a redesigned direct drive pedal which unfortunately is considerably heavier than the Axis pedals. No word yet on if either of these once great companies will be smart enough to make a longboard option for either one. Since I want a longboard more than anything else in the world, I'm pretty sure they wont have the option.

SINISTER

Hopefully they'll hop on the axis/trick style bandwagon with direct drive links and longboards.....that would be killer!

Drumosaurus

holy crap, I can't believe they cancelled the cobras :shock: :shock: :shock:

just wow. I really hope they put out something good.

Asdex

MY GOODNESS! THEY DISCONTINUED COBRAS?!?!?!?!?! That sucks!! Well, let's just hope that they make something better now...

Assback

I hope they know what they're doing from a marketing stand point

"Iron Cobras" are as synonumous w/ pedals as "Wendy's" is to burgers

Rob Crisp

Assback":3079k7ia said:

Indeed! Even if they totally redesigned the pedals but kept the name that would be a smart move.

Also if they both decide to go down the Axis/Trick line, there could well be a lot of players who dislike the new pedals. Not everyone wants that kind of feel and movement to a pedal.

EDIT - Unless they themselves are unsure as to how the new pedals will go down, and are keeping the Iron Cobra name on the backburner for a "return" should things not go to plan...

Drumosaurus

Assback":2od0w4y9 said:

+1

Cobras were the pedals I dreamed about ever since I started drumming. I got them finally, and it looks like it was just in time too.

this seems odd tho, didn't they just put out those new packs with all the different beaters and cobra coil?

Howepirate

They got some catching up to do if they wanna catch up to Axis and Trick.

Somehow, unless they fix the springs on the Cobras, I know I'll still never never like em.

Steaky

Howepirate":152prmj1 said:

Somehow, unless they fix the springs on the Cobras, I know I'll still never never like em.
Is it in the springs? I know I've never liked them somehow whenever I've played them, just couldn't put my finger (toe?) on it. It will be interesting to see what they do next.

Alan_

I've played on an Iron Cobra double a friend of mine has on his electronic kit, and I like it ok. it feels similar to my dw 5000, maybe a little heavier.

I'm surprised they would discontinue them. That would be like Ludwig discontinuing the Speed King.

Howepirate

Steaky":w4zki5pp said:
Howepirate":w4zki5pp said:

Is it in the springs? I know I've never liked them somehow whenever I've played them, just couldn't put my finger (toe?) on it. It will be interesting to see what they do next.
I put my Axis springs on my cobras and they felt a lot better

Potatoe Snack

man I absolutely love Iron Cobras, might not be the lightest pedal, but I liked the heaviness. I let the pedal do most of the work in that aspect.

why can't they release a new pedal but keep the Cobras?

Asdex

^^^
Yeap, they should have kept the cobras and release the new pedal! Hey, does it go with all of the pedal including the hihat stand? How bout if we need to spare parts? Will some of them still on sale?

Joezeppi

Assback":1btpni4l said:

they have good baked potatoes and chili too. (& frosty's)

Steaky

Potatoe Snack":1yqk82wy said:
man I absolutely love Iron Cobras, might not be the lightest pedal, but I liked the heaviness. I let the pedal do most of the work in that aspect.

why can't they release a new pedal but keep the Cobras?
I totally get what you say, I can see how a heavy action is like playing with big heavy sticks for a real solid feel, and Cobra's are def the pedal for that. It's just not my bag. But if it's just a case of up-grading the springs to lighten the action as Howie is saying then thats a whole new ball game, that makes the product in general much more attractive for the price.

randomdrum

Joezeppi":3s6a3ie7 said:
Assback":3s6a3ie7 said:

they have good baked potatoes and chili too. (& frosty's)
Tama don't make baked potatoes