Jon Theodore

razor_chris

I find him as one of the most unique, impressive rock drummers of my times...ive seen him live and studied his approach to the drums...and its something very interesting n diferent from a lot of drummers nowdays...the way he plays live, with all that energy and power for hours without stopping, with that jazz/progressive rock influenced style. And now that he has left behind the mars volta I would like to know if anyone knows something about where he is heading now n what are his plans...I know that he wanted to amplify his knowledge of drumming n he would do some projects of his own but if anyone has heard anything more concrete, I would apreciate it if anyone might share that information here.

Scott_Hurford

Jon Theodore is one of my drumming heroes, his work with the Mars Volta is outstanding!
i also want to know what he is doing these days, i havn't heard any news tho :(

Qbs

I'd also appreciate some info as he really blew my head off with his playing on Tremulant and De-Loused in the Commatorium.
btw. do you happen to know whas he recording those CDs on a Ludwig?

Johnny Cat

I love Jon Theodore too! Love the Mars Volta. When the first album came out I immediately had to go check the drummer and remember his name in the credits. He was a real breath of fresh air. Just remember thinking "holy shit where the heck did this guy come from??" The percussion on "Deloused" is awesome too. Should not have been surprised to discover it was Alex Acuna.

Johnny Cat

Dale":rk88nqap said:
Johnny Cat":rk88nqap said:
Should not have been surprised to discover it was Alex Acuna.
I thought Lenny Castro played on that album?
Oh my God you're right. Just rechecked the liner notes. Why on earth did I think it was Alex Acuna??? Must have been something else I got confused with. Well, I'm an idiot.

Thanks for correcting me Dale! :D

Dale

Johnny Cat":32dzfwsj said:
Dale":32dzfwsj said:
Johnny Cat":32dzfwsj said:
Should not have been surprised to discover it was Alex Acuna.
I thought Lenny Castro played on that album?
Oh my God you're right. Just rechecked the liner notes. Why on earth did I think it was Alex Acuna??? Must have been something else I got confused with. Well, I'm an idiot.

Thanks for correcting me Dale! :D
I was only asking. Not correcting. ;)

I think it is easy to confuse them because Alex Acuna always gets press. I rarely see Lenny Castro in drum magazines. So these days when one thinks of a percussionist, it's easy to think 'Alex Acuna' or 'Giovanni' right away. Simply because they are more visible.

At least that's my take on it. Although I am probably wrong.

razor_chris

Qbs":fw0362ew said:
I'd also appreciate some info as he really blew my head off with his playing on Tremulant and De-Loused in the Commatorium.
btw. do you happen to know whas he recording those CDs on a Ludwig?

As far as Im concerned at least Frances the Mute was with a Ludwig, John Boham concept of a 24x14 basedrum, a 14 tom, 16 n 18 floor toms thats why it sounds so big and explosive....in deloused im not sure because by that time he was using another drum in live performances n he said in a interview that when they recorded Deloused they didn have budget for anything, just their instruments...maybe it was a ludwig, either the sound is incredibly awesome on both records